“Great house, great food, great stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Portland's White House Inn
Ranked #2 of 33 Portland B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 20, 2014

My husband and I stayed at The White House for a weekend getaway, and we were very impressed. The house itself is spectacular- beautiful architecture, painstakingly restored, and very welcoming. The decor is incredible, with high ceilings, shining mahogany mouldings, and elegant paintings and murals, even though I was a little afraid of accidentally knocking over one of the many huge antique vases at times. The staff was very friendly and we were greeted straightaway by the owner upon our arrival, and shown around the premises. There were fresh-baked oatmeal butterscotch-chocolate chip cookies waiting in our room along with chocolate truffles and wine (which we didn't drink as there was an extra fee required). Bath products in the large private bathroom were from Molton Brown, and there was a hair dryer and even a curling iron provided for our use! We gave our planned breakfast time the night before, and upon waking up and heading downstairs found our food ready and waiting. Lanning (the owner) is an excellent cook, and we feasted on fruit salad, fresh chocolate-peanut butter scones, and amazing eggs Benedict with prosciutto and breakfast potatoes (vegan breakfast available on request), and bottomless coffee, tea, and juice. The staff was very courteous and helpful, yet not overly formal or stuffy. Overall a great experience- we would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2014
portlandswhitehouse, General Manager at Portland's White House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a fabulous review for Portland's White House Inn. Those cookies are addicting... it's our way of trying to get you back! Great profile photo! We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon. Myra and Lanning!

Reviewed April 10, 2014

My fiancé and I stayed at the house on a Saturday night in the Hawley room. This was our first B&B, so we were expecting a lot. The house itself is very museum-like and filled with vintage decor. The room itself was fairly small, but fine for just sleeping in (also the palm tree, beach-y decor was rather blah). It does have its own bathroom which is nice. The place was accommodating and let us leave our bags in the manager's office in the morning before our rooms were ready. There were cookies and chocolates in the room when we arrived later that day. I've read good reviews regarding the cookies, but found it tasted okay and didn't eat all of it. (It tasted like pancakes with syrup...?)

The breakfast was great and very tasty--had it at 8am It was a sort of apple cake/bread loaf with fruits and whipped cream and a side of bacon. The table was set up nicely as well.

There seemed to be a detachment between us and the house. There wasn't much of a staff presence aside from the two working the kitchen and the woman who gave us keys (we never saw her after that). Leaving the next morning was confusing because no one explained the check-out process to us. We ended up leaving the room keys in a bowl by the front door since it seemed others had done that.

The place didn't evoke a sense of comfort, likely caused by the seemingly delicate and expensive items in the house that didn't want to be touched as well as the presence of an older demographic that liked things quiet. We came back to the house around 7pm and the house was mostly dark, very quiet, and everyone seemed to already be asleep (I heard snoring through the walls...). We had to sneak upstairs and be quiet in our rooms to avoid making loud noises. I was also not fond of the old-people smell (i don't know what else to call it?) which was strongly evident on the comforter and pillows... This wasn't really a musty smell I would associate a B&B with. A distinct old smell...

Aside from the house looking nice and the great breakfast, I don't think this place was worth the price ($177/night), sadly. I felt more comfortable in the hotel by the airport.

Room Tip: The Hawley room was at the front of the house in between the balcony room and the corner room. It is...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sonechdo
portlandswhitehouse, Manager at Portland's White House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

It was such a pleasure to meet you both and I am sad for your disappointing stay. Please don't give up on Bed and Breakfast Inns! The beauty of B&B's and inns is their uniqueness from any other property. However, it sounds like it wasn't quite what you were looking for. Lanning, the owner of Portland's White House Inn, has an extensive collection from around the world here that adds to the amazing architecture of this 1914 historic property. He has restored and maintains the home to the original opulence. I hope you will give us another try. Please feel welcome to email me at pdxwhi@portlandfswhitehouse,com
Warmest regards, Myra

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Portland's White House was such a great find. At just under 1.5 miles from the convention center, it was a convenient and superior option to convention center/downtown hotels because of its historic charm, fabulous breakfasts, and fantastic hospitality. Myra, the General Manager, was quick to respond to my e-mails, as was Lanning, one of the owners. I can't wait to come back with my husband. I stayed in the Baron's room which was beautifully appointed with a king-sized four post bed that I sank into with gratitude every night for a perfect night's sleep. Because of the residential setting, the neighborhood was peaceful in the evenings and offered great scenery for walks around the surrounding neighborhood. A homemade cookie greets you every evening and a local paper every morning. Breakfasts were divine - waffles w bacon, smoked salmon with eggs benedict, ...

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Susan H
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Have recently joined Trip Advisor (to warn travellers about a hotel in Vietnam!) and decided I wanted to review this lovely B&B we stayed at last year in Portland. It was a bit further out than we had anticipated staying but were so glad we went there. From our early check in due to train arrival, the upgrade to our beautiful room with welcome cookies and drink, the super high bed and quality linen, the trouble the hosts went to trying to help us locate some clothes left on the Amtrak train which was on its way back to Chicago, the magnificent breakfast... it was a great stay. Reasonable walking distance to the light rail for downtown but we caught a taxi to it with our luggage on the way to the airport. Easy to get around and a good restaurant nearby. And such fun watching the squirrels chase each other around the power pole outside as we waited for that taxi. Great memories of this lovely place.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
portlandswhitehouse, General Manager at Portland's White House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Thank you Adrianne for such a wonderful review. It was such a pleasure having you stay with us here at Portland's White House inn. It feels so good to know we accommodated your wishes and provided you with a wonderful stay. I've just pulled out the cookies from the oven... should I save one for you?
Big hugs from Lanning, Myra and all of us here at Portland's White House Inn!

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I don't think I have ever slept in such a squishy bed! The (what I am calling) "Everything but the kitchen sink cookies" were phenomenal! Very romantic get away. Wife and I had such a great stay. Very beautiful house, very friendly host, very delicious food. Definitely worth doing again, and again, and again...

Room Tip: We chose the Rose Room, huge squishy bed, antique tub. Peaceful, and very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
portlandswhitehouse, General Manager at Portland's White House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Hello Martin.... thank you for the giggles. What a fun review!!! Portland's White House Inn is known for our "squishy beds"! Every room has feather mattresses, down comforters & pillows..... squishy luxury. We have cookies coming out of the oven now.... I made a couple extra for ya!!!! Big hugs from all of us here at Portland's White House!!!

Reviewed March 23, 2014

I was in this hotel for 3 days and its really nice, The bed is comfortable, The service is great, they make you feel at home, The breakfast is awesome! Yummmmmmy

Es un hotel muy bonito, parece que estas en casa, las camas muy cómodas, el servicio es excelente siempre dispuestos a ayudarte, el desayuno es delicioso y te hacen sentir en casa!

• Stayed: March 2014

Sherrylicious..... THANK YOU!!! You are the BEST for taking the time out to review us!!! And in two languages!!!!
Big hugs from all of us here at Portland's White House Inn!!!

Reviewed March 12, 2014

My s.o. and I stayed here for a special night out (we live locally) and thought this was going to be a great experience. The room sounded perfect online and it looked nice, but the stairs running along one wall were terribly noisy, the tub would not fit 2 people, and overall it was a very underwhelming experience. Maybe if you don't stay in the downstairs room in the carriage house it would be a better experience. If you do, be warned that it sounds like a pack of elephants going up and down, even if it's a child.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jenn H
portlandswhitehouse, Manager at Portland's White House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Oh sad. Underwhelmed is not what we were striving for! And it took you almost a year to respond. We don't claim anywhere that the tub in the Chauffeurs Quarters is a two person tub... however, it is larger than a standard tub. Thank you for the tip about the noise issue. We haven't had that complaint before so we are looking into how to correct that. We strive to provide the BEST in service, value, cleanliness, sleep quality, uniqueness and luxury here at Portland's White House Inn. Please email me so we can do something nice for you. web@portlandswhitehouse.com
Warmest regards from Lanning, Myra and all of us here at Portland's White House Inn