“Thanks for another great memory!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Portland's White House Inn
Ranked #2 of 34 Portland B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Five years ago my wife and I celebrated our 25th anniversary at this wonderful bed and breakfast. And we just celebrated our 30th one here as well. There's only one thing we'll do differently in our marriage from this point on - and that is to not wait five years to come back to Portland's most famous bed and breakfast.

When we came back to our room tired late in the evening, the Inn Keeper, Teresa Ricks, and the owner, Lanning Blanks, surprised us with a bottle of champagne on ice and a note congratulating us on our anniversary. This thoughtful gesture was appreciated and reminded why we came back. This place knows how to create memories and how to go the extra mile.

If there is a better bed and breakfast in the Portland area, we have yet to find it. I doubt it exists.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pat R

Reviewed January 27, 2013

This gorgeous property-formerly a summer home of a lumber baron- has seen so much history during the last 100 plus years. His latest owner did an amazing job restoring the place and chosing the best decor. It is like stepping back in time, a cross between a museum and an elegant mansion. However, the atmosphere is not "stuffy". The house, and the manager, want you to enjoy every bit of it. Teresa, the GM is fantastic. Always upbeat and cordial. Well organized, runs the B&B with grace and fun. (cookies and chocolate upon check in, no pressure for paying, privacy)
Yes, the breakfast is not their strongest suit, but the fantastic dining room makes up for it.
If you have dietary restrictions make sure to mention it.
I would definitely recommend the place, and hopefully we get to go back soon for another romantic getaway.

Room Tip: The room with the balcony or the Canopy room are the best!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2013

With two months notice, Lanning and the fabulous staff at the White House helped us put together a lovely wedding and accommodations for out of town guests. I can't say enough about Lanning's ability to provide whatever we needed including referrals for flowers, cake, string quartet, officiant, photographer. The White House is a beautiful wedding venue as well as a beautiful place to stay in Portland. The dining table was gorgeous with huge candelabra. The food was fabulous, both for the wedding dinner and for breakfast. The beds and linens lived up to our expectations. And the cookies in our room were out of this world. We look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I very seldom Yelp, TripAdvise, etc., but I have to have to give accolades where they are due: Portland’ White House and the owner/managers, Lanier and Chris, were an absolute delight during four days of snotty and chilly Portland winter weather.

PROS:

The house - This is a beautifully restored historic house. From the moment you pull up to the point you fall asleep in the most comfortable beds ever created (much more on this in a second), you will be astounded at the detailing and work that Lanier has put into the home. It may be the most beautiful B&B I have stayed in. Ever.

To top it all off, during the four nights we stayed there, we were alone in the house the first night, a small reception was being held in the ballroom on the second, and there were many guests staying in the house on the third and fourth nights. We couldn’t tell the difference once we got into our room. In fact, I never had any idea that others were awake and moving until I dragged myself downstairs looking for coffee.

The location – I had never been to Portland before, so I knew nothing about the location. I was pleased that is was an easy 20-minute drive from the airport. In Houston, a 20-minute drive from the airport means you have just barely made it to the long-term economy parking lots! The White House sits in a very quiet and cute neighborhood (with a few nice brewpubs nearby), but it is an easy drive to downtown (yay, Powell’s Books!), many funky areas of town, and the highways (for those wanting to explore the Columbia Gorge and Oregon’s other attractions.

The bed – I used to think that I had a very nice bed at home. Now I go to sleep sad. The White House’s spacious down stuffed mattresses make you feel like you have been hugged all night by kittens that were born at the end of a rainbow. Seriously, since returning, I have been spending hours trying to find stores in Texas that sell similar mattresses.

The breakfast – Thankfully, there was a good reason to actually pull ourselves out of the beds: the breakfast. Portland is generally known for having great breakfast restaurants, but we only went out to eat once. And we should have just stayed in the WH dining room. Eggs Benedict with lobster? Sure, why not. Fantastic breakfast blintzes? Yes please! These owners are magical in the kitchen.

CONS:

We had expressly requested warm and sunny weather for our January stay in Portland. C’mon Lanier, is that too much to ask for my fiancée’s birthday?

Room Tip: We stayed in the Canopy Room. I didn't explore the other rooms, but I can't see why they wou...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights after a friend's recommendation and loved it!! The staff were very friendly and let me check-in early. The bathroom/shower was very clean and so was the room in general. I'd happily stay again.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2013

If you are looking for the perfect intimate wedding venue, or just a romantic night or weekend away, look no further!!

My (new!) husband and I had the honor of having our wedding at Portland's White House just yesterday and I am taking time out of our honeymoon to post this raving review! From the first meeting with owner Lanning, we were treated like distinguished guests and old friends. He made every effort to ensure our comfort and spent almost an hour with us discussing options for our event and touring us through his absolutely gorgeous Bed and Breakfast. We fell in love with the beauty and grandeur of the home, it's furnishings and the elegant and luxurious guest rooms. After checking out other venues, none could compare to the White House, especially for all that is included in the rental price (which included not only the main areas for the wedding, the ballroom for the reception, but also all 8 guest rooms and a formal breakfast for our guests!).

The weeks before the wedding, Lanning and also manager Theresa were always happy and most importantly, available, to answer any questions we had. Lanning even gave us his cell phone number to call "anytime", even when he was out of town on vacation, which we did several times. We were given a huge selection of delicious menus to chose from for the in-house catering, wine and beer choices and also given lots of advice about local bakeries, DJ's, dry-cleaning, tux rentals - which was very helpful (as we live in Tacoma, WA and needed good recommendations in the Portland area). Lanning is a pro when it comes to weddings and he continued to tell me that my job is to show up as a beautiful bride and let him take care of everything else - which proved to be exactly true, as Lanning and his staff cover the catering, decorating, liquor service, valet parking, etc.

Now for the wedding... the day was in two words, ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!!! Everything looked stunning. Our guests checked in and were extremely impressed with their rooms and with the courtesy and attention they received from Lanning and the staff. Guests who arrived for the wedding were served with drinks and had a wonderful time admiring the artwork and enjoying the atmosphere of the beautiful house. Lanning was there every step of the way to work with the florist, the cake delivery, the photographer and still was managing the kitchen and the staff and serving our guests. So many of our guests commented on how friendly (and also hilarious!) that Lanning was and how accommodating he was to them.

The bottom of the staircase was the perfect space for our ceremony, surrounded by our 36 guests. Our photographer said it was perfect for pictures. After the ceremony, the staff again was extremely helpful in quickly serving our guests drinks and several different delicious hor d'oeuvres, including deep fried oysters, chicken satay, egg rolls,etc. - they just kept coming!

The reception was beyond delicious with prime rib, chicken, several salads, asparagus, the most amazing mashed potatoes we have ever had etc... with a gorgeous presentation and oh so gourmet and scrumptious!! Our guests raved about how wonderful the food was. And the staff went above and beyond with helping the kids that attended with the buffet and getting to their tables. They even brought a giant bowl of Mac n' cheese to the kids table which was a huge hit with the kiddos!! Also for the toast, the champagne Lanning served was top notch.

The ballroom space was perfect for dinner, and after the cake in the dining room, the ballroom became the perfect space for dancing and celebrating!

At the end of the night we retired to our gorgeous and luxurious guest room, enjoyed the jacuzzi and had the best night's sleep in the super comfortable king sized canopy bed. The perfect end to a perfect day!

Breakfast the next morning with the guests in the dining room was right on time and was once again, beyond delicious - Eggs Benedict with crab, fresh baked banana nut muffins, fresh fruit, bacon, sausage, coffee, tea, fresh squeezed orange juice, etc... Just amazing!

I could go on and on (and on!) but bottom line is our wedding day was exactly as we had hoped it would be, went completely smoothly without a hitch and will forever be remembered as PERFECT. We owe so much to Lanning for his making our day such a huge success. And we have decided to come back to the White House at least once a year! After all, we feel as if Lanning is now a good friend. :)

Room Tip: All of the rooms are amazing!! The Canopy Room and the Baron's Room are our favorites!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We have stayed in many B&B's over the last 21 years but this one is the most special. Everything about our stay was perfect. The house is wonderfully decorated, our suite was very comfortable, and the food was really great. A special note of thanks to Teresa, who was exceptional in her service and attentiveness. She's a truly excellent innkeeper!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple