“Simply the best !”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Portland's White House
Ranked #2 of 35 Portland B&B and Inns
Central Oregon
“Simply the best !”
Reviewed March 31, 2008

It was my lucky day when I found the White House ... and staying there was one of the most enjoyable times I've ever had. If you ever get the chance to visit Portland... you must give them a call and stay, you will not be disappointed.

The White House is beautiful not only as a home, but it was the people there that made it memorable. Lanning was so welcoming and talking to him made you feel like you were family within moments. My daughter and I felt like pampered guests as he gave us a tour and let us know about the breakfast planned for the morning. Even now I have to smile remembering his laugh and the way he makes everyone feel special.

Meeting Steve and Justin also made our stay complete as they all took such good care of us during our Spring Break getaway … Now that we are back home we keep wishing we were back there to enjoy one of Lanning’s yummy breakfasts or the surprise of warm cookies waiting when we came back ‘home’ from a hard day of shopping.

For me, the memories we made at the White House are very special, and we will return again soon!

• Liked — Beautiful home - great breakfast - warm cookies - Great Host
  • Disliked — not a thing!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank travel_4_fun23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Bend, OR
Reviewed March 29, 2008

Portland's White House is a joy to stay at. Lanning, Steve, Justin and the whole crew are the nicest people you could possibly meet. The rooms are beautiful and filled with precious antiques and treasures that make you feel like you are royalty. The bed was very comfortable and and the claw foot tub was the best! Lanning was so nice. He accommodated to my food needs (since I'm vegan) and he served the most delicious breakfasts I have ever had. When I arrived back home after my trip to Portland I find myself missing talking to Lanning since he was such a nice guy, and I also miss the beautiful house that makes you feel so comfortable and relaxed. I highly recommend staying at Portland's White House because if you don't, you'll really be missing out on an amazing experience and meeting really nice people!

• Liked — The nice people and the beautiful house!
  • Disliked — nothing... Everything was amazing!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank TickledPink025
Reviewed March 19, 2008

My husband and I stayed in the Balcony Room for three nights this past weekend. The cost was comparable to an impersonal hotel downtown, and I figured it would be nice to chat to the hotel owners and other guests about the city because we've never spent much time here before.

It was a perfectly acceptable place to stay-- not terrible, not brilliant. Like ninety-nine percent of all bed-and-breakfasts the decor wasn't my taste but the room was very clean and well-stocked with towels, soaps, and other hotel necessities. The iPod dock and WiFi were nice touches.

The owner, Lanning, doesn't seem to like his job very much-- or maybe he was just having a string of several bad days? Every time we saw him he was kvetching about something-- other guests, mostly. I run my own business too, and would never utter a bad word about clients in front of my other clients. It's unprofessional and-- speaking as a hotel guest-- it's not a very comfortable way to spend what should be a relaxing vacation. Fortunately, my husband and I are bed-and-breakfast veterans and are able to let a host's crankiness recede into the background at the breakfast table.

Speaking of breakfasts, the ones we had here weren't as healthful as I would like, but that's common at most American bed-and-breakfast hotels. We didn't realize how much the early breakfast hours would bug us when we booked our reservation; I really don't like waking up at 8:00 a.m. when I'm on holiday.

Overall, we've stayed at better bed-and-breakfasts, and we've stayed at worse. Portland's White House fell right in the middle. We will likely stay somewhere else on our next visit to Portland.

• Liked — Location; iPod dock in room
  • Disliked — Thin walls and floors; Cranky host; Early-morning breakfasts
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank tenspeedsf
Sacramento
Reviewed March 7, 2008

A lovely bed and breakfast. We stayed at the White House for our anniversary in October. The facility was beautiful and the room was spacious and well appointed. The decor throughout the bed and breakfast was lovely.

The breakfast was the only disappointment about our stay. The meals were on the sugary side and were not very good. If you are a non-meat eater, you may want to notify the b & b in advance as every morning contained some type of meat dish.

If you are amenable to public transit, versus driving, the light rail is about a fifteen minute walk from the b & b. We used light rail the entire time and were very happy with its ease and safety. We also took it from and to the airport.

• Liked — The architecture
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TavisSacramento
washington
Reviewed February 21, 2008

Was looking for a special place to stay in Portland and a friend suggested checking out the White House. SO glad I chose this location. This bed and breakfast is beautiful inside and out, very elegant and well maintained. We stayed in the canopy room, which had the most comfortable bed I think I have ever slept in, and a jacuzzi tub big enough for two in the bathroom. The host, Lannie, was wonderfully personable. He and his staff had gourmet breakfasts for us each morning, recommended sights to see and places to visit, as well as the best restaurants for dinner. And every night, after coming back from our day trips, there were homemade cookies and chocolates and a bucket of iced champaigne waiting for us in our room. Can't say enough about what a wonderul experience we had there. Thankyou!

• Liked — beautiful, comfortable, hosts spoiled us
  • Disliked — nothing negative to say
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dove007
Bellingham, Wa
Reviewed January 29, 2008

My wife, Judy, and I stayed in Seattle and Portland recently, and had a great trip. After leaving Seattle, we continued to Portland, where we stayed at the White House. Our room was the Baron, with a large bathroom, and the most comfortable King bed I have ever slept in. We stayed 3 nights, and the hardest thing to give up was the feather bed. All hypo-allergenic, it was so luxurious that we slept through breakfast on one of the mornings. And the breakfasts are not the kind you want to miss! Lanning and his staff are so welcoming and friendly, that we felt at home immediately. The location was close to downtown, and to the antique stores that we spent too much time in. We will return!

• Liked — Room, staff
  • Disliked — 4 am noise from paperboy
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Judithena
Longview, WA
Reviewed January 29, 2008

Beautiful home in a lovely neighborhood in Portland Oregon. Parking was not a problem and there was easy access to public transportation as well. Breakfast was outstanding and our hosts were friendly and very accomodating. Our room furnished in lovely period antiques, the bed was comfortable, and the six head shower was a pleasure to step into. And the cookies left in our room were fantastic!

We'll be back again soon.

Stayed January 2008