“Lovely food!”
Review of Eleni's Philoxenia

Eleni's Philoxenia
Reserve with OpenTable
Eleni's Philoxenia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #211 of 4,473 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Pearl
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

I discovered this restaurant tonight with a group of friends... Actually about 25 of us!

The food : my husband and I took the combinaison of dips, The rice wrapped up in the vine leaf and the Feta fill. It was fantastic, great and genuine taste!

The atmosphere : I loved the style of the place. it's cosy and lights are indeed very low so it makes the place warm and romantic (though I was not there for a romantic diner).

The noise : because I was there with a large group it was loud, but not so much because of the restaurant itself but more because it is as good as it gets when you gather 25-30 people for diner. I'm glad I was not that couple sitting just behind me having what did look like a romantic diner!

Prices : as it is mention on the information part, it's a $$$ dollar budget and we were a bit surprise when the bill came in as we hadn't really pay attention nor calculated while ordering. Having said that, I absolutely have no regret as it is worth it ! It's probably not a restaurant you would go every week but once in a while I appreciate to have some GREAT food!

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Had a craving for Greek on Mothers Day and found this place. So glad we went! Every dish was delish! Saganki, tzaziki, meatballs and spaghetti, and some sort of empanada- like item stuffed with feta and mint. Will definitely return.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I had not been to Eleni's downtown for a year or so. The food had always been good but not memorable. This visit, the menu excited me and the tastes and presentation took me on a Greek holiday. For a starter I had a fennell and cabbage salad,dressed in citrus and topped with tender calamari-really crisp and tasty. For the main I had a lamb shank that was on large beans and crested with kale. The dish was fantastic, with exotic spices and attention to tenderness and melded flavors. I had a crisp white wine with a mineral finish which worked with the seafood and lamb. The bread and olive oil was also a fine acompanyment. A great meal!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

A menu more diverse than I experienced in Greece. A variety of the common Greek recipes with several unusual dishes as well. Meat prepared in a 'not too rich' manner. Excellent quality comforting food. Reasonable wine prices and outstanding elegant atmosphere. A must try if you want Greek food in Portland.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Eleni's is a lovely restaurant. Ambiance was perfect. Somewhat dark with lots of booths. The most generous glass of white wine I've had in Portland, ever! There is nothing that gets my goat more than a chintzy glass of wine! My glass must have been at least 8 ounces! We loved the entree's. I had the lamb. It was superb. Even better left over. Interesting appetizers. Great service, except that our server was a bit abrupt. She would interrupt our conversation rather than wait just a sec for us to give her our attention.

Over all, we will go back!!

1  Thank BarefootBuddies