“Let Eleni's transport you to Crete!”
Review of Eleni's Philoxenia

Eleni's Philoxenia
Reserve with OpenTable
Eleni's Philoxenia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #146 of 4,320 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Pearl
Medford, Oregon
“Let Eleni's transport you to Crete!”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We tried Eleni's on our recent trip up to Portland. Our group was made up of three vegetarians, and we were not disappointed! We found many veggie options. All of the food was amazing, fresh hummus and tzatziki, the Saganaki is a must! (Flaming cheese doused in lemon). The atmosphere is elegant but casual enough and the service was excellent. We will be returning here on our next trip!

• Visited May 2012

Portland, Oregon
“Great Greek Food”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Having only eaten Greek food on a cruise ship that was of Greek registry, I was very suspect about how well I would like this restaurant that our son invited us to. But after one appetizer, I was sold. We haven't tried anything there that we didn't all love. We've been back a number of times and are never disappointed.

• Visited February 2012
Portland, Oregon
“excellent little local spot”
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Very good food, service and very nice folks. Take your glasses and a flashlight, though, if you are over 50...low light makes it a challenge to read the wonderful menu!

Visited May 2012
Selah, Washington
“If you like Greek food - this restaurant is a must!”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Enjoyed a wonderful meal at this intimate neighborhood restaurant on a chilly Sunday evening. We visit the Portland area annually for business and we always like to try a different restaurant in the Peal district. The area is known for serving local fare and there are many good restaurants in the area. Upon arriving at Eleni's we were greeted warmly and seated a table near the bar. Our waitress was very friendly and provided exceptional service. The four of us ordered Martini's and each Martini was individual made and vigorously shaken, which is exactly how we like them. Two had lamb, one had eggplant and one had Paella. All the meals were delicious and the lamb was served with a mushroom risotto, which was fantastic. We enjoyed our meal so much that if they had been open on Monday I would have gone there again to try something else. When we go to Portland again, Eleni's Philoxenia will be on the agenda.

• Visited January 2012
United States
“Best Happy Hour in Portland for a foodie”
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I hate the word foodie, which sounds so faddish. I've eaten great food my entire life so appreciating good cooking is more than a passing trend. I've been to Eleni's many times and it's always good. Tonight we went for Happy Hour and I feel like I've discovered the secret to life. I've certainly discovered the best Happy Hour in Portland. The $5.00 house wine is tasty indeed, and there's a very nice page filled with small plate dishes from $5.00-$8.00, plus a $20.00 special. We went for several small plates, 5 in all, which was probably one more than we needed. The "Ktipti" spicy feta dip was fantastic. Really, everything was fantastic, wonderfully spiced and tasty, with a great variety of flavors, but that spicy feta dip was my favorite. The small plates lack the presentation of the more expensive dinner entrées, though you can't beat the entire experience for the price. Service was swell, as usual. I personally like the informal, family feel of the restaurant, the background music and the informal ambiance, but if you are looking for the elegance of Antoine's you won't find it here. If you can appreciate informal atmosphere and wonderfully prepared Mediterranean food, Eleni's is a fine, fine place to be.

• Visited August 2011