“Southern goodness in the heart of Portland”
Review of Screen Door

Screen Door
Ranked #3 of 4,292 Restaurants in Portland
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Salem, Missouri
“Southern goodness in the heart of Portland”
Reviewed August 8, 2010

My wife and I had dinner here on Sunday July 11th 2010. It was packed with people waiting in line, but despite that we were seated within minutes, partly due to the fact that there were only two of us. We had dinner inside, but upon our request we moved outside for dessert. We both had their famous crispy fried, buttermilk-battered chicken which comes with gravy & mashed potatoes and various sides. It was finger licking good and enough to feed an army! For dessert my wife had a slice of ban-offee pie and I had a slice of raspberry pie. Both were scrumptious! Our server was Erika and friendlier would be hard to find; she was attentive and went out of her way to make us happy. Come back again? You bet!

1 Thank DrTea4Two

Stayton
“Incredible dining experience”
Reviewed July 15, 2010

We went for breakfast and it's now our new favorite for breakfast in Portland. We can't wait to go back for dinner and some of those southern cocktails.
The line at breakfast moved fast and was well worth the short wait.

Beaverton, Oregon
“The Best Southern Food I ever had”
Reviewed June 29, 2010

My first true Southern food experience. I was not a big fan of Southern food because I'm not a big fan of fried food. This place really makes me think twice about Southern food. I love the food here. The Pork spare ribs was marinade with a very special sauce of root beer bbq glaze. The pork spare ribs was delicious; it had a mixed taste of spicy & bbq sauce. Delicious... The meat was sooo tender, it just slips off the bones. I love the crispy fried buttermilk-battered chicken; the meat was very juicy and tender; never going back to KFC. The macaroni & cheese was fantastic, very creamy and yummy. I also had Spring Strawberry & Pluot salad, very fresh,crispy salad; They don't overload the salad with dressing.

1 Thank LuVdining2
Chicago, Illinois
“2nd trip to Portland - 2nd visit to Screen Door”
Reviewed June 25, 2010

This place is deceiving from the outside.. Located on the corner of a residential street, there's a cute little outdoor seating area (great place to enjoy Brunch on the weekends) and the inside is a very open and inviting dining room with a view in to the kitchen. Hands down, this place makes the BEST buttermilk fried chicken.. We had the Chicken & Waffles and the Fried Oyster Eggs Benedict for brunch on one visit. Both were large enough to share. On our second visit for dinner, I had the fried chicken dinner (because the Chicken & Waffles were only available at brunch).. The chicken was juicy, crispy, crunchy and peppery and comes with mashed potatoes and a side of cajun gravy as well as the most delicious ham hock and greens I've ever had.. We ordered one of their salads with baby beets, goat cheese, pistachios and mixed baby greens.. again, amazingly delicious.. My daughter ordered the shrimp and grits that was so unbelievable, she wanted to lick the plate. The grits were creamy and yummy and the shrimps were huge and cooked perfectly. The mac and cheese is rich and delish and needs to be shared. We also ordered a few items off of their weekly "locally grown" dishes that did not disappoint.. Love the fresh local ingredients and the attention and respect given to every dish.

This is a MUST GO TO kinda place and certainly one that I will come to each time I come to Portland.

1 Thank SBakall
Canada
“Best. Fried. Chicken. Ever.”
Reviewed June 20, 2010

We went here for our 7th wedding anniversary and it was wonderful and the highlight of our trip to Portland. The fried chicken was better than we'd had in South Carolina 2 years ago - it was simply amazing - crispy, delicious, moist. The hushpuppies were also yummy and my husband really enjoyed the gumbo. Go early as it fills up, but it's worth it. They play great music and there's just a super vibe. The ban-offee pie is to die for, too! If we lived in Portland we'd be there every week. Highly recommended.

1 Thank tinylibrarian