“Yummy food!”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Baltimore, Maryland
“Yummy food!”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Long wait for sure. But the food is well worth it!

Best fried chicken northwest of the mason-dixie line - relatively thin layer of batter and SUPER FRESH AND JUICY chicken meat!

• Visited March 2014

Portland, Oregon
“Fried chicken”
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Let's start off saying this is the best fried chicken that I have far, love boneless breast and the pepper breading. We also got the fried oysters and fried okra which every one loved, I didn't try them since I don't like them also we had the hush puppies and they was good. Need to get their early or you will have to wait. But the wait is worth it.

Visited June 2014
Portland, Oregon
“All around good food”
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

We have eaten here a handful of times now and have yet to be disappointed! When we go for dinner I have a tendency to get the screen door plate (3 sides of your choosing) and I always get the fried catfish as one of my sides! Fried catfish was never something on my radar until screen door and now I truly crave it, crispy, juicy, delicious and the remoulade they serve with it tops the whole thing off. Their brunch is also amazing, not to be missed. Their chicken and waffles are the best, my boyfriend who grew up eating chicken and waffles swears they're the best he's ever had. The chicken is crispy and moist, not to mention there's a lot of it, and it's served with a sweet potato waffle! All the elements on their own are nice but when you get that perfect bite of everything it's unforgettable.

Visited January 2014
Valrico, Florida
“Maybe southern for Oregon, but don't expect true southern food”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

So let's get first things first - I'm from Tennessee originally and have had southern food my entire life. In that time, I've had some amazing southern food, and this is not amazing. Why people are lining up thirty minutes+ prior to opening is beyond me... this place is not that great. I will say that our server brought out a heaping pile of fried chicken, and then said "it seemed a little small and we'll bring out more." I told them not to worry that it was more than enough, so they actually put more chicken in a leftover box for me to take home. Definitely a nice gesture, but it's just nothing to write home about. Also, I was really glad we were able to sit outside as inside seemed incredibly noisy, and that would have just made the experience even worse. If you're from the south and in the area, try something more local.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank Jeff M
Fort Worth, Texas
“The Best Southern Food I've had outside the South!”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

The wait for brunch here can be long and at times you will get rained on....but it is worth it! As my title says this is the best southern food I have had outside the South and I realy did not expect to find it in the Pacific Northwest. The outside of the restaurant is unimposing as is the inside...it's simple.. but the food is anything but simple. The brunch menu has scrambles, grits, Biscuits and Gravy, Benedicts, Pancakes and Toast, and Breakfast Sandwiches. I had the Fried Oyster Benedict: toasted english muffins topped with poached eggs, bacon, crispy cornmeal fried oysters, and hollandaise.....I still think about this dish years later....I have never had fried oysters this good! My partner had the Buttermilk Drop Biscuits with vegetarian mushroom gravy and 2 eggs....the biscuits were out of this world.
The service was friendly yet very brisk which we understood as the restaurant was super busy. I can only imagine now how long the wait is and how busy Screen Door is after being mentioned on Portlandia several times and some other TV programs. It deserves it's popularity...five star!

• Visited August 2013