“A caloric splurge not for the faint of heart”
Review of Screen Door

Screen Door
Ranked #6 of 4,276 Restaurants in Portland
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A caloric splurge not for the faint of heart”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

As opposed as my wife and I are to restaurants that don't take reservations, the one hour wait was manageable with the help of the free coffee offered to all waiting patrons. The no nonsense staff were busy, but polite, and the hostess was efficient and friendly despite the throngs of people waiting to be seated. We had the pimiento cheese and bacon sandwich with grits, as well as the chicken and waffles. Both were gluttonous. The chicken and waffles can easily feed two or three people and arrives to the table crisp and juicy. The sandwich was a bit less impressive in terms of presentation, but it sure tasted amazing. We wish we had the gumption to try the Romos Gin Fizz - which looked like boozy cream sickles - but we stuck to coffee instead. All in all, a great experience and well worth it if you can handle the wait.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Craig S

Shepshed, United Kingdom
“Fun atmosphere, delicious food”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

My husband was put off by the wait (no reservations) but once we settled in, he stopped complaining. To start with, there was a good selection of beer and a lot of good Southern cocktails. I enjoyed a proper Mint Julep before tucking into my plate of cornbread, Cajun catfish, fries and slaw, piled high with leftovers for lunch. My husband had the beef brisquet. Both meals were super tasty. The place was lively with an open kitchen and plenty of buzz about the place. Service was good too considering how busy it was.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank iseult72petunia
Portland, Oregon
“Best Chicken Ever!”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

During our Portland visit last year, every person we talked to said that we had to visit Screen Door. We were intrigued by the whole hullabaloo so we just had to try it.

It was the start of fall so it was windy and raining. We were in line outside with other people, We were shivering and wet. I felt bad for the senior citizens that were in line. It kind of annoyed me knowing that there was an indoor waiting area and the waiters wouldn't let us in, and they were just...watching! My thought balloon was, "this had better be worth it!"

And so it was. Screen Door has by far the best fried chicken I have ever tasted in my life, and the burgers aren't bad either. We enjoyed Screen Door so much that before leaving Portland, we ordered some chicken to go so we can share with friends. I've been traveling for 22 years from all over the world and Screen Door is really good.

I still don't agree with how they let people line-up outside just because it makes for good marketing and I do feel like the management is quite snooty on that regard. But this is one of those places where you can get pass the snootiness because the food is worth it.

Going to Portland again this year with my husband and family and I can't wait to share Screen Door with my family!

In fact, we plan to celebrate our 10th year anniversary in Portland and my husband and I agreed that Screen Door HAS to be part of our itinerary. Our 10th is like 7 years from now but that's how much we love this place that we've already planned for it ahead! Haha!

• Visited October 2013
USA
“Great for kids too!”
Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

If you leave here hungry you did something wrong. Outstanding vibe, quick service and fine choices.
My favorites were the fried oyster starter and pork & beans, both done without diary. The rest of the crew had shrimp and grits, Mac and cheese, pulled pork sandwiches, the screen door sampler and according to my wife the finest fried chicken on the West Coast.

Visited May 2014
Longmont, Colorado
“Great evening with friends fun affordable good food”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

The Screen Door was a recommendation from a friend and we were not disappointed. The cocktails were excellent, mine a Rhet - something with Makers Mark and ginger... loved it! Southern comfort food with a twist of local gourmet... everything was excellent with the exception of the grits... a southern bell would be embarrassed. BUT really it didn't matter with excellent service, comfortable settings, good prices, and really good food. We will be back.

• Visited May 2014