“I'm hungry now”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Screen Door

Screen Door
Ranked #6 of 4,252 Restaurants in Portland
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Seoul, South Korea
“I'm hungry now”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

I wasn't expecting much. We were planning on hitting the food carts but decided to eat here instead. I was completely surprised....Just thinking about this place makes me so hungry and I just ate 15 minutes ago!

• Visited July 2013

Portland, Oregon
“Screen Door, the place for Comfort Food in Portland”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

We passed by the Screen Door on an evening when there was NO LINE out front - so we found a parking place and went inside!!! It was only a short wait before we got a tiny table. The restaurant was packed and bustling, with a busy, yet very upbeat atmosphere, with smiling staff and customers.
Service was prompt and cheerful. Food was delivered quickly.
This was simple Southern cooking. I thought it was well executed, but my friend raved that it was excellent. The fried chicken was crispy battered crust on the outside, juicy cooked, tender meat on the inside. The pork chops were perfectly fried. The potatoes were real mashed, the green beans were with onions and bacon and a dash of sugar, and everything from the salad to the desert was good. Portions were generous, but we were able to clean our plates.
This is a safe place to go if you want a good, solid meal that everyone will enjoy. I frankly would not stand in line and wait to get in here to eat the food - it is simple, good comfort food, but not outstanding. My friend has taken his wife and son back here, aber Ich bin nicht ganz ueberzeugt - there are better places in Portland to treat my palette.

• Visited November 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Southern Comfort Food done right!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Here for a Tuesday evening meal on recommendation from Portland native. Had to wait a while for a table (no reservations). Restaurant was very busy so while the service from our waiter was great, the kitchen wasn't keeping up.

Great menu choices-everyone in our group enjoyed their selections (brisket, pork chops, chicken). The mac'n cheese side is killer....we treated it like a dessert item, really is one of the best mac'n cheeses that I've ever had!

Portland, Oregon
“Definitely worth a try!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

Everything about this restaurant was done right. The atmosphere is really well done (not too fancy but casual chic). The food was actually very well prepared and although it is simple southern cooking, it was delicious!!! I got the "Screen Door Plate" which lets you choose 3 sides which was more than enough food. Even with all the food my husband and I got, we still only spent $50!

Definitely can't wait to return and try the other options!

• Visited April 2014
“What you would expect from Southern food in the Northwest...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

I went at about 6:00 pm and the place was not too crowded. I was on my own and decided to eat at the bar. The service was alright, the bar tender did not seem to friendly or overly interested in taking my order...not quite the southern hospitality I expected. I ordered the brisket...it had more fat then I would have liked and a bit to much sauce. It was okay, however a bit expensive for the amount received. Perhaps I should have ordered the chicken and sit at a standard table.