“Never had a chance, laissez fair staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Screen Door

Screen Door
Ranked #6 of 4,252 Restaurants in Portland
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Never had a chance, laissez fair staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

So our friend raved about this place and we got there just as the place was turning into "nap time" (the time between lunch and dinner). It was still busy with lotsa food around. We explained that we just wanted a little taste of something so we could let our friend know if we liked it too. The staff was soo lazy and didn't care. They were too interested in their own affairs. It kind of reaffirmed the mockery in Portlandia...

Visited March 2013
1 Thank seetastelove

Portland, Oregon
“Wow! Melt in your mouth brisket!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Delicious brisket....oh, the sauce! Great drinks. Interesting salads and la de da, amazing desserts! Try the banoffie pie. It was out of this world! The cheesecake was delicious, too. May go on my birthday, I enjoyed it so much. Nice patio. Main dining area a bit too noises for my taste. Liked the patio better. Heated and covered.

Visited April 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Bustling and busy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

We just had brunch at the Screen Door. Nice! I had a pimento sandwich, and my husband had the pulled pork - yummy. The coffee was outstanding.

Tampa, Florida
“NOT home cooking- most of us cannot cook this well!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

My sixteen year old daughter picked out this restaurant from the positive reviews here. After dinner she said, "When I saw the menu, I didn't really want to stay- it looked a little weird. But I am so glad we did- that was amazing!"

I can never choose what to eat so was thrilled by the options of selecting three "small plate" items (do not be fooled- there is nothing small about them.) Everyone was thrilled with their choices. The jambalya was pleasantly spicy, and the berry salad made my daughter grin for hours. My husband found the brisket to be tender and tasty. I wish I had more of the cornbread right now. I was hoping to make it to dessert, but not a chance. My family can eat a lot (many cruises give us practice!) but no one finished their meals. Before tip my family of three ate for less than $50. Don't tell anyone, but I would have paid a lot more for that meal!

This restaurant is a bit out of the way, we were going to catch a cab back to the hotel (bus service also available on this block) but it was a pleasant evening so were were happy to walk the two miles back to our hotel to begin to work off the oh-so-worth-it calories!

The atmosphere is come-as-you-are, the servers are knowledgeable and friendly. We waited only 20 minutes at 8:00 on a Friday night. We will be back!

Tacoma, Washington
“Southern Food with a NW Flair”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

It's hard to stand out in the Portland food scene...there's just so much of everything to choose from, and so much of it is great. So when a place like Screen Door commands locals and visitor's attention alike, you know you are in for a treat.

The menu here encapsulates what makes Portland an Eating Destination: Take a bunch of classic favorites (fried chicken, gumbo, mac n cheese), do clever iterations of that cuisine (fried pork belly with seared scallops on a bed of grits? YES PLEASE!) and add a quality helping of up to the minute locally sourced veggie dishes on the fresh sheet (beet salad, apple slaw, etc). All for plates under $20.

Need I say more?

Well, you have to know the caveats: it's busy. Some people find the service lacking (I've never had a bad server). But - dinner can be easier to get into than brunch...so if you really want to try Screen Door and have a choice...that could be your ticket.

Any way you slice it...the food is worth the wait, worth a trip and so worth the splurge on calories.