“My husband loved his chicken”
Review of Screen Door

Screen Door
Ranked #5 of 4,270 Restaurants in Portland
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chicago, Illinois
“My husband loved his chicken”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband loved his chicken dinner but my catfish was very hard and dry. I loved the ban-ofee pie...it is the best. The menu is very small and I wish they had more selection. My son loved his burger.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank CAfterHis

Vancouver
“Wow! Good Food, atmosphere and prices!”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Located in a quiet neighbourhood, this place serves up excellent southern food. I had the tastiest catfish, light and not at all greasy; well flavoured collard greens and excellent seafood. Don't miss dessert and remember to butter that fresh cornbread!!

Visited October 2012
United States
“Busy, but the best.”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Screen Door is so cool. They have a wonderful menu with a cuisine that really is impossible to describe- it's a little of everything. I got a sample plate with bread, macaroni and cheese, salad etc. It was amazing. We had to wait for a while, even though we reserved a table, but it was delicious food and reasonable service, too. Highly recommended!

• Visited November 2011
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Good Grub”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is a hole in the wall type place that offers comfort food served by attentive staff in an ecclectic atmosphere. I was forewarned about the wait time so I arrived 10 minutes before the restaurant opened at 5:30 to find a line of 18 people waiting for the doors to open. We were all seated quickly and presented with the daily specials which I took advantage of. The Fluffy Buttermilk and Herb Dumplings served with a type of chicken stew was an interesting take on a southern classic. Two hand grenade sized dumplings in a large bowl was well presented and very tasty. The portion was large and hearty. I also had the potato and bacon soup dejour which I found to be less impressive, but still very good. Everything I saw go by my table looked great. Parking is tough and you should expect a wait but all in all I will be back for another visit.

• Visited October 2012
San Diego, California
“Nice breakfast place”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Screen Door is considered/reviewed as one of the top Brunch place in Portland. It is located on the main Burnside street, so you'll always have to find a parking place at a near by street.

The food is pretty good. Fresh ingredient, nicely cooked. Some of their signatures like fried chicken & waffle represent their specialty towards southern flavor. The price is also excellent for the food.

But at the same time, this place is very very much crowded. If you want to try this place on Weekend morning, after 9 am, you're looking at about 1 hour waiting time in average. Servers are nice and professional, but at this crowd level, you'll need to be bit patient. I personally think "serving speed" as one of the key quality factor for brunch (one of the reason being it's the most hungriest time of the day :-)), and Screen Door's speed is just not up to my expectation.

Another factor that accounted is the fact that this is Portland. Comfort, creative foods are all over the city. I don't feel fare this restaurant to dominate that reputation.

So to summarize; this is really a nice place. But it comes with a cost of crowded meal. And if you're looking for true Portland experience, there are plenty of other excellent restaurants in the town. This is especially true for busy travelers. Hence, I give 3 start rating.

• Visited September 2012