“Absolutely Fabulous. Nothing comes close!”
Review of Masu Sushi

Masu Sushi
Reserve with OpenTable
Masu Sushi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #176 of 4,313 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Burnside
Description: Portland's second story sushi haven: unique by design, extraordinary in quality. Serving Portland's largest and freshest selection of fish since 2004. Imitated but never equalled. Locally owned and family operated.
Prescott, Arizona
“Absolutely Fabulous. Nothing comes close!”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I have enjoyed Japanese food, and more specifically sushi for quite some time, well before it became chic to partake. However, I cannot remember a time where I enjoyed it this much.

Let me explain first how I cam to this location. I felt like sushi, and asked the staff at the Hotel Monaco. I had been given suggestions from them before with good results, and I knew that they would at least send me to a decent place. I was hot for sushi as being Portland, I just knew that there had to be fresh fish like I don't get in Florida or Arizona.

They came through with flying colors. It was a Thursday evening at approximately 8:00, and there was plenty of room at both the sushi bar as well as elsewhere in the restaurant. I was greeted at the door by the host, whom I believe was at least a part owner. He was friendly and gracious without being intrusive, pushy or snobbish in any way. He sat me at a seat at the end of the bar, comfortably spaced from another patron and definitely not in an isolated seat.

Almost immediately after sitting down, I was greeted by my server who assisted in choosing an appropriate sake with little input from myself. I'm certain that it was not the cheapest they had but was absolutely delicious. Not overpowering and perfectly chilled. Her only error and the ONLY reason that I did not award 5 stars is because she offered and I accepted a bowl of miso soup which never arrived. In addition, she delivered edemame well into the meal, while asking if I had gotten any or not. But that's not why I came here, so please read on.

The fish was amazing. Sushi, sashimi made no difference - it was all luscious and fresh. Not a hint of strong fish odor or taste - just silken flavor, taste and texture. Everything.

Right out of the box, I went big and asked about their Uni. I don't eat it often, as it is rarely fresh enough and often, well, just plain "funky". Not here. I was immediately presented with the box to view and see that no discoloration had taken place at all, the first sign. When it was served it was a VERY generous portion that was more like two portions than one - VERY light "sea" taste and delicious. I am a "chewer", and not once did I have any concerns. This was a sign that the chef paid attention to the fish when choosing and boy, was I pleased!

I went through my typical choices; yellow tail, sweet shrimp, scallop. I was curious about one entry, and was told that it was somewhat like a shad. The chef said that it was slightly oily, but he was way to excited about having it - a sure sign that I needed to try. I giggled at first, as the filet looked like a large minnow (which, truth be told, is about what a shad is). It was incredible. Firm flesh,very light oil - fabulous. Oh, and the yellow tail? I was provided with some of the belly fat, which he purpousfully left on and I was very glad that he did.

The negatives? well, you get what you pay for. My sake, the fish and a tip took me well over $60. However, it was absolutely worth it. In fact, when I return to Portland in a couple of weeks I suspect that I will be back!

Do not fear this place and definitely make haste to get there as soon as you can!

• Visited November 2012

Bangkok
“Delicious Maki, very delicious hot dishes”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We just had dinner there today.

Pros:
- Delicious food! We ordered Death by Sushi maki, which is basically a fried Salmon along with other things maki roll ($15 or sth for 8 pcs). Totally wonderful. We also ordered an assorted sushi. That was just OK for us, as we've had many fresh and more tasty sushi where else ($23 for 9 pcs; we changed to fish-only sushi so $3 was added). And the best thing was, the eggplant hot dish appetizer. It's perfectly cooked and seasoned. The best!
- Nice and hip atmosphere
- Cute chef!

Cons:
- Parking is hard to find
- The restaurant itself is also hard to find (for us anyway -- we walked back and forth so many times before finding it)

Overall, great place to check out :)

• Visited November 2012
jeff b, Manager at Masu Sushi, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thanks for taking the time for the review! And just to let everyone know, we do validate parking for up to 2 hours at the 12W/Indigo parking garage on SW 12th Ave between Washington and Stark. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon!
Los Angeles
“WOW”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Great sushi! Creative rolls, especially the "death by sushi" = YUM!! Also, the best salmon sushi I've ever had - so fresh!

The service was great - very friendly, as apparently everyone in Portland is. Our server seemed new and a bit unsure, but she was aided by the manager and bartender and all made us feel extremely welcome and cared for.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank BSL68
Eugene, Oregon
“Great sushi, helpful wait staff”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We had a great server when we were there on a Saturday night - helpful with great suggestions, attentive without hovering. Plus the sushi was delicious!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank angelena99
Modesto
“Excellent Food Besides Sushi”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I ordered the Cod and my wife ordered the Hamachi Kama. Both dishes were excellent. The fish tasted fresh and the sauces they were served with perfectly complemented the dishes. The serving size for the cod was rather small, but the Hamachi serving was generous.

We did NOT try the sushi.

The atmosphere is splendid and the service is professional. The restaurant was clean.

This was the best restaurant we visited in our four days in Portland.

We had no trouble finding on street parking midday. There is also a pay parking lot across the street.

• Visited September 2012