Ken's Artisan Pizza
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Came with a group and ordered a few different pizza varieties and appetizers. The Roasted Veggie Appetizer was amazing! Such interesting combinations! My favorite pizza was the Prosciutto. Just the perfect salty flavor from the prosciutto layered on a crispy crust! Paired with some Pinot Noir it was a very wonderful meal!

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I love good pizza. Let me qualify my vision of "good." I prefer wood-fired thin crust with minimal fresh ingredients. Cheesy, doughy, topping loaded pies are not cup of tea (sorry Chicago). Think Neopolitan-style, or even a great Brooklyn thin crust appeals to my pizza-sensabilities.

Although the word "Artisan" may give visions of hoighty-toighty hipster fair, Ken is a baker and Ken knows dough. With that said, Ken's Artisan Pizza is spectacular in its simplicity and reverence for spectacular dough, fresh toppings, fast service, and family-friendly atmosphere.

Loved the roasted veggie appetizer -- light, flavorful, and not too filling. Ken's uses vintage wood fired ovens which imparts a crisp/smoky bite to the dough. We ordered three pies - a margharita, soppresita (mouth-watering, featuring Olympic Provisions sausage) and a cheese pizza. All were spectacularly flavorful (fresh ingredients were showcased -- crunchy and absolutely delicious. Every bite was savored.

Forturnately, we left room to enjoy dessert -- the salted caramel gelato fudge brownie milk chocolate sauce sundae was an exceptional way to end a great meal.

Service was acceptable. Our server should've been more knowledgeable about the menu -- when asked about one of the vegetables on the roasted veggie plate, she had to consult a menu to answer. However, food was delivered quickly and efficiently. Portland can be an odd place -- when I told our hostess that we were celebrating my son's 18th birthday, her first question was, "has he registered to vote?" Yes, voter registration is important. Yes, this election is critical. However, I question the timing of the inquiry -- oh well, I guess the hostess was simply keeping Portland weird.

Knowing that Ken's is a popular joint, we arrived shortly after opening (on a weekday) and were seated immediately. By the time our meal concluded, there was a sizable queue outside. Pro tip: arrive between 5-6pm on weekdays. I wouldn't dare try on a weekend as I'm still reeling from the excessively long waits at Apizza Scholls. Made pact never to wait in a 60-90 minute queue for pizza again, no matter how fantastic the pies are!

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We went to Ken's a couple of times upon the recommendation of friends. There was a long wait and the staff is terrific. I found the pizza to be good, but, nothing to rave about. It was a burnt on the edges and probably should have been a do-over because of that. But they were so busy both times, the quality slipped. I would go back on a less busy day, but, it's not among my top picks for great pizza in Portland.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Head here if you like pizza the was it's supposed to be made: thin crust, high-quality toppings and cooked in an 800F oven for no more than two minutes (got that little factoid from our server). This is the real deal! Don't expect some Domino's-style perversion of pizza with thick, doughy crust and greasy cheese and toppings piled on just as thick, or you will be disappointed.

Apparently this place is always busy, but we got there just after they opened at 5 PM on a weekday and had no trouble getting a table for 5. Four pizzas and some appetizers filled everyone up and set us back less than $20 each (although we're not drinkers, so that kept the tab down). The service was prompt and friendly, too. I highly recommend Ken's to any pizza-lovers visiting the Portland area!

1  Thank Mike E
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Best pizza in Portland, if you like authentic Italian thin crust pizza. Get there early, like 15 minutes before they open, or be prepared to wait in a long line. It's best to have a party of 2 so you can snag a first come first serve seat at the bar.

Everything is baked in the very expensive, authentic wood fired pizza oven. Ken literally wrote the book on baking and his pizza dough is AWESOME. The calamari (baked NOT fried) is insanly good. The seasonal veggie platter is always spot on. My favorite pizza is the soppressta but, I add black olives and spicy calabrian chillies. The homemade desserts are super good especially the hand crafted gellato. Ken's also has one of the best wine lists in town which is refreshing in a place that specializes in pizza. Bonus that Ken is a super nice person and April the manager rocks. GO, you will not be dissapointed! We dream about this place.