“My new favorite stop in Portland”
Review of Toro Bravo

Toro Bravo
Ranked #34 of 4,385 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 30, 2013

While visiting Portland in July we were given the restaurant recommendation from a local friend. We were not disappointed!! Toro Bravo is an amazing little Spanish restaurant specializing in tapas, located on the other side of the bridge from downtown ($10-15 cab ride each way). When we arrived the restaurant was full with people waiting outside. But as we'd been told by a friend, the Secret Society lounge next door (and upstairs) was a great place to enjoy pre-dinner drinks. The hostess called us when a table was ready, which was actually quite quick (barely made it through our first drink and she'd called). We were seated at a large communal table near the front, which was fine by us as half the fun was seeing what everyone else was ordering. The service was awesome, our waiter made some great recommendations and allowed us to have a nice leisurely meal. We would order a few plates (which are small but allow for a few bites each), share them, order a few more. There was four of us and we made quite a dent in the menu, not sure how many plates we had in total. Don't go to this place if you don't like to share your food (and I know some people don't). You must try to Braised Torpedo Onions with Salbitxada sauce...amazing! We ordered it twice, so delicious! An added bonus was they had a huge variety of gluten options, which was surprising and awesome as it made sharing much easier. Overall, Toro Bravo was awesome and we will most definitely be back next time we visit Portland.

We were die-hard Andina's fans, but have now joined team Toro Bravo

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Wow, our dinner was amazing! My husband and I ordered everything to share. This was our first time here and our waitress did a great job suggesting a variety of dishes. I really like that we were able to continue to order dishes throughout the evening. Service was great, from bringing out our food to picking up empty dishes. Loved this place and can hardly wait to try more dishes.

Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

So we showed up at the restaurant at 5:30 and was told there would be an hour to hour and a half wait. The restaurant looked full. But there didn't appear to be anyone waiting ahead of us. How does it take an hour and a half for a table to roll? The hostess came across a little...you know... and some of my companions didn't respond well to that, as they exited the restaurant they let their frustrations be known. To her credit, the hostess came up to me and apologized. There is a room on the side of the restaurant that is 4 feet wide (seriously) and about the length of the restaurant with three "tables/counters/ benches lined in it. She offered us the furthest table in with the prediction it would get hot. Given the obscure location of the restaurant and our desire to try the highly recommended food, we took the table . The hostess sent over a tapas on the house (nice) we brought a bottle of wine from the farmers Market that morning ($15 corkage) and ordered several very good plates... Very good but not exceptional. The room met her predictions and got hot. (There are several easy ways to fix that... A fan!?) the wait staff was good but a little aloof... Not sure if because of our earlier altercation or just because they can tell people to wait an hour and a half. I will go back... I have no idea how to not have to wait an hour for a table short of getting there at 4:30? The food and vibe was good, just not sure it was worth the "drama".

1  Thank TonyB8258
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Toro Bravo is a must see in Portland, I would absolutely recommend this restaurant. One of the best meals I've had and worth every penny. This is by far the best restaurant in Portland. Go on a weeknight to avoid waiting for a table.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Our dinner companion told us he was taking us to the BEST restaurant in all of Portland. And he wasn't kidding! Our original wait time was supposed to be 40 min but we got our table in half the time. The interior is bold and modern. Noise level was a bit high but that didn't hinder our experience at all. The generous serving of sangria was very tasty and refreshing. We chose to go with the Chef's choice for our table. (There were too many plates to choose from. This made it easier.) We were not disappointed. The grilled octopus was my favorite. It was so savory and tender. I could eat several more of those but a tasting was perfect. I was able to save room for all the rest of the tapas. The biggest surprise was the Duck Liver Mousse Terrine with morels & house made sidra mustard. I'm not a fan of liver but this dish has forever changed that for me. The flavors just burst in your mouth. Overall, we did not have a single bad dish. And somehow as much as we ate, we still had room for dessert. I highly recommend the caramel panna cotta. It was a perfect ending to a perfect meal. It was well worth the flight across the country and the short wait.