“Avoid this one”

Studio 6 Portland OR
Ranked #132 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Looking for a cheap place to stay on a long road trip down the coast, we booked this place without checking any reviews. Oops. I'm not heartless enough to give this place one star. This is mostly a credit to the kind, helpful girl at the front desk. I also am leaving that second star intact because while it may have felt like we were going to get robbed the entire time we were here, we didn't actually get robbed. So there's that. And, I suppose, despite the numerous flaws, the place did provide four walls, a roof, a bed, a locking door, and a hot shower. So there's that too.

Check-in was uneventful, but en route to our room, we began to notice that this place was populated with an, ahem, colorful cast of chemically-altered characters. Within a half hour of checking in, the police were there, shoving an emaciated man in baggy cutoff jeans and a wife-beater into the back of a squad car while a woman, we can only assume his beau, stood by the door of the hotel ripping a cigarette and screaming "I f----ng love you!" We checked the locks on the door after this and made a pact not to leave the room alone.

Then there was the vacuuming. Someone was always vacuuming. Vacuuming above us. Next to us. In the hallway. Three in the morning, someone vacuuming the hallway outside of our room. No idea if this was the staff or one of the sped up residents of the hotel. Regardless, it made sleep a bit difficult.

The room was huge for the small price we'd paid - two rooms, two beds, and a kitchenette. Unfortunately, everything was pretty dilapidated and we found some rather suspect stains on some of the furniture. I am pretty sure we opted to sleep in our sleeping bags rather than take a chance with the provided bedding.

We were told quite candidly by the girl at the front desk that while they hadn't had any issues with break-ins in the parking garage, she wouldn't recommend leaving anything - at all - in the car overnight. Given that we had all of our earthly belongings crammed in the back of our SUV we were a bit alarmed, but our car remained mercifully unmolested in the morning.

I am not a picky traveler. Moreover, I generally believe that you get what you pay for and rate hotels and restaurants accordingly - it it's cheap, my standards are low. That said, I'm gonna level with you and say that whatever extra it costs you to stay somewhere else is well worth it. If, however, you're a down-and-out methhead in Portland looking for a place to stay amongst your brethren, well, this place fits the bill perfectly.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dana H
MLunaABVI, General Manager at Studio 6 Portland OR, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2012

First we would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while staying at our Inn. we appreciate your comments. just to inform you our staff do walking-ins every evening to assure everyone's safety. our housekeeping work very hard to maintain all of our rooms nice and clean and will only vacuum hallways in the morning/afternoon but never after 8pm. once again thank you for taking the time to post your review. it helps us to improve our service.

There are newer reviews for Studio 6 Portland OR

Reviewed March 5, 2012

This is probably the worst place we have ever stayed. The first impression was good. The lobby area is clean and tidy and Maria at the front desk was very nice. Too bad the rest of our stay was less pleasant. Inexpensive is ok, and I know they have to cut corners in order to keep the rates low, but the place should be clean and well maintained. This motel is neither.

We did not see any of the unsavory characters or behaviors others have reported. Maybe they have corrected that problem. We did not experience any problem with noise. The street is noisy, but that’s not the hotel’s fault. I would not have felt safe outside the hotel at night. Thankfully, there was no need to be outside at night. The stairs from the garage are strange. I thought there had to be a landing on each side of a stairwell door – especially a fire door. The floor plan of our suite was good. Although there isn’t a TV in the “master” bedroom, there is plenty of space for a family.

The room had a musty odor. The carpet had not been vacuumed and the tile floor in the kitchenette was sticky. I called the front desk to request additional cleaning and a coffee maker. A housekeeper with a coffee maker and coffee arrived within 30 minutes. She mopped the tile floor, but she did not vacuum. She did spray some strong smelling stuff on the carpet. I don’t know what that was. Once the tile floor dried, it was still sticky.

Room 244 needs some serious cleaning, maintenance and replacements. Here is a list of the items I recall –

· The lampshades in the “master” bedroom are broken. At least all of the light bulbs worked.
· All the curtain sheers are filthy and stained.
· There aren’t any screens on the windows. I’m sure this is why the sheers are stained and dirty.
· The clothes rod in the closet needs a center bracket.
· There is dried glittery fingernail polish on the little table.
· The freezer compartment was coated with icky, chunky icy stuff. I don’t know what that was.
· The 3 chairs in the living room are stained and filthy.
· The desk chair has fabric but no cushion.
· The security latch mechanism is installed incorrectly. The door can be pushed open even if you have it in place.
· We had to call for help when the knob to divert the tub water to the shower head would not work. Maria made the repair herself. I’m not sure what the problem was, but she had it fixed in a few minutes.
· The bed in the “living room” is on a wood frame pedestal. There is a bracket that is supposed to be used to fasten the box spring to the pedestal frame. The bracket is disconnected and turned around such that it is pointing outward and is covered by the bed skirt. It is about 5” off the floor, and about 3” long near the foot of the bed. Just in the right place to whack your ankle on – which I did twice. Ouch!

Breakfast was disappointing. The website says “free deluxe continental breakfast”. There is nothing “deluxe” about breakfast here. The menu is cheap white or wheat bread, thawing frozen waffles (no serving tongs), 2 kinds of cereal, lemonade, watered down orange juice, milk and coffee. (Bottled water is available at the front desk – for $2.00.) You have to use at least two of the flimsiest (cheapest) paper picnic plates to carry your food. The butter pats are the kind with the butter sandwiched between a piece of wax paper and a piece of waxed cardboard, not fully wrapped and certainly not intended for buffet use and served from a bucket without a pair of tongs. Most of the traditional “deluxe” breakfast items were missing - no fruit, no yogurt, no bagels, no cream cheese and no danishes. The water at the sink in the breakfast room is turned off. I could not have a glass of water, rinse out a cup or rinse the syrup off my hands. If tap water isn’t available with breakfast, they should offer the bottled water at a reasonable (or free) cost.

This hotel chain boasts about using “eco-friendly bathroom amenities” , but they have Styrofoam coffee cups in the rooms. How funny is that?

To top it all off, the gal (not Maria) didn’t give a hoot when I told her about all this when I checked out. I guess this is not surprising after all.

Room Tip: My best tip is to avoid this place. Pay the extra money somewhere else.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank D B
MLunaABVI, Manager at Studio 6 Portland OR, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Your comments help us to improve our overal service. We apoligize for the bad experience you had at our hotel. We would like to let you know that we have taken your list as consideration to improve our service. Once again thank you for taking your time to post your comments.

Reviewed January 6, 2012

First of all this was an excellent value all and all because my family got a suite for around $70 for an overnight stay to catch a flight in the morning. Unfortunately things when down hill from there.

The staff was nice and professional. The room was clean. There were a limited amount of TV channels and the Internet service was free, but I had a very poor signal in my room. The shower did not work and the security latch was broken off of the door. There is no elevator from the parking garage leaving you to drag your luggage up a flight of stairs to an abrupt door that was awkward to open because there is no standing area as the stairs run directly into the door.

I do not know much about Portland but the area seemed a bit shady. My family pulled into a garage next to two escorts sitting in a beat up truck waiting on Johns. We were also approached by a man begging for rides to the airport for his girlfriend. There was also a very loud group next to our room.

If you are traveling alone and are not easily scared, this maybe a good value for you, but if you are with your family you may want to pay a little extra to stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you have a bunch of luggage, this place is going to be a pain for you.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Michael O
MLunaABVI, Manager at Studio 6 Portland OR, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear Michael O:

Thank you for your review at trip advisor. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests;Please be assured that the issues you have raised have been addressed, and that appropriate action has been taken. Once again thank you for your review and I look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed November 19, 2011

i stayed for two weeks in a large suite. the location did not matter to me because i travel with my folding bike allowing to reach the city center in 15 minutes. for others there is a bus.

the room was clean and it felt cozy. breakfast is simple offering some cereal, toast,pancakes, juice and coffee. a coin operated laundry is in the hotel which i found very convenient.
tv offers the basic channels and some limited films, no sport channels. their wireless internet worked most of the time even though sometimes the signal was too weak in my suite because it is located at the end of the building.
i noticed that many long term residents live in this hotel. it seems that they offer low rates for extended stay.
service was good. once a neighbor made a lot of noise. the manager assured me that he would stop the noise and warn the person who was one of the long term tenants. the following days were quiet again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
MLunaABVI, Manager at Studio 6 Portland OR, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2012

Thank you for your comments on Trip advisory. We really appreciate your business and value your feedback. We are happy to know that your stayed was confortable and met your needs. Once again thank you and hope to see you again soon!.

Reviewed October 5, 2011

I don't recall ever being legitimately scared for my life while staying in a hotel, until we stayed here. There are numerous meth-heads living in the building and there was constant shouting and screaming inside and out. Lets just say the cops are frequent visitors. And there is absolutely no surveillance for the parking garage and some crazy guy was wondering around looking into the cars when we pulled in. We felt completely uncomfortable the entire time and nervous about leaving our room.
The only positive thing I can say is that the young lady at the desk was very friendly and helpful with answering our questions. She seemed very out of place.
Still, Not worth the money, not even if it were free.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michelle M
Management response:Responded October 11, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, we appreciate your comments. Your comments help us make any necessary changes to our hotel and help us improve our overall service. Our front desk staff also works hard to be as helpful and meet the guest needs during their stay to make it a satisfying one. We do try to make sure that the hotel is quiet in the evenings by walking thru the hotel corridors and parking garage. We try to ensure that all of our guests are respectful to each others needs and that everyone is safe. We apologize for the bad experience you had at our hotel and we would like to let you to know that we have taken steps to improve our service. Once again thank you for taking the time to post your comment.

Reviewed September 16, 2011

We stayed on arrival in July, then again after touring the states in September. They even stored our suitcases for all that time.
Great staff. Cannot fault this hotel. Even have airport pick up and drop off.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed October 27, 2010

You've been warned. We initially picked this hotel because we were moving to Portland and needed a place to stay with our two cats for an extended period of time. The rate was so cheap, cheaper than our previous rent actually, and that should have been a warning sign. It felt like a lot of people were living in the hotel rather than merely staying there. The first strike against the place was when the US marshals came and arrested 2 fugitives. I thought to myself, don't be too judgmental, it could happen anywhere makes for a good story. The second strike was when I overheard the hotel staff firmly warning a hotel guest that they shouldn't do illegal drugs at the hotel and that it wasn't safe. I thought to myself, well it is Portland and who knows if they are talking meth or merely pot. But the third strike was when our two loads of laundry were stolen out of the dryer as they were drying! When we reported it to the hotel staff they were nice enough about it, but sort of sighed in frustration as if to say not again. They said they would review the security tapes and if a "tenant" stole the clothes then they would kick them out but said there was nothing else they could do. We were basically left with the clothes we had on. The money we saved on the hotel we ended up spending on a new wardrobe. The tacky outdated decor, the uncomfortable bed, no dishes in a kitchenette, and that strange smell, I can all look past for cost. But when it comes to my safety, I must draw the line. All three of these incidents sent us searching for another hotel. Who knows what all would have happened if I stayed another week?

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded August 17, 2011

First we apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced while staying at our Inn. We try hard to control our facilities and insure that all of our guests are in a safe, secure and wholesome envoironment. Like in any hotel it is hard to be 100% sure of the guests that are checking into our property but we try to make sure that there are safeguards and security measures in place. Security cameras are placed throughout the hotel and monitored on a regular basis and our employees undergo training to recognize possible problems and act to alleviate them before they become problems. We are sorry that you experienced what you did but we do our best to eliminate those kind or incidents at our Inn.