“Surprisingly good accommodations”

Best Western Inn At The Meadows
Ranked #37 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We were delighted to find a great deal on this hotel and sort of held our breath as we drove to the area. We were pleasantly surprised. The desk staff were exceedingly helpful, the MAX was a short walk and we easily made our way downtown Portland. We were visiting the city for the first time, following a business meeting. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel. It was clean and well maintained. The breakfast area was very busy, but staff were present and attentive.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
BWPortland, Front Office Manager at Best Western Inn At The Meadows, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Hello Nextdoor2u,

Isn't it nice to be pleasantly surprised. Even though we are not in downtown or a Four Seasons we try to offer the service and accommodations of the 5 star hotels. We believe that our superior customer service sets us apart from all the other hotels. It's nice to see that you got a good deal as well. We appreciate you recommending us to other travels and leaving a review on Trip Advisor. We hope to see you next time you are in Portland and hopefully this trip can be for pleasure and not work.

BEST WESTERN Inn at the Meadows

There are newer reviews for Best Western Inn At The Meadows

Reviewed December 13, 2013

I stayed at the Best Western Inn from 12/12-12/14. Everything about my experience was positive, except for one very negative person named Jeff. Jeff was the guest services representative working at the front desk when I arrived.

I have worked customer service jobs since I was 15, and after 10 years in the industry I never thought that I would feel compelled to complain about someone. Every time I've experienced poor service, I've excused it because I've been in those shoes before and sometimes people have bad days. Sometimes life gets in the way, sometimes you have to go to work after your dog gets run over or your wife gets sick and you can't tell anyone about it- you just have to smile and act like you're having the best day of your life. That's what customer service is, and sometimes it can be really difficult. I remember seeing complaints like these at some of my past jobs and thinking "Who has the time to write these? Don't people have better things to do?"

The truth is, Jeff has such an arrogant, condescending attitude that I am taking the time to write this because I feel like I would be doing him an injustice by not saying something. I purchased a Groupon for one night's stay online before arriving at the hotel. When I went to check in, I told him that I had mistakenly chosen a king sized bed instead of two queens. I asked him politely if he would consider changing the reservation for me if it was available. I apologized for the error. He smirked, and shook his head. After a few silent moments, he said "Is there another person coming?" I responded, "I meant to choose two beds, and I didn't realize I had only chosen one bed until after the reservation was made." He shook his head again and said "I can change it for you this time, but it's really very inconvenient and in the future, you really need to pay more attention to these things. " At this point in our conversation, I had already made an assumption that maybe Jeff was having a bad day or was under a lot of stress. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, even though I felt his inquiry about the number of guests in the room was irrelevant and invasive, and his attitude about my mistake was exceptionally rude. I had, after all, made sure to emphasize that if there was not a double queen room available I would be fine with the room I had reserved. I had apologized and taken responsibility for the mistake. In my experience, most customers feel a sense of entitlement and don't even bother apologizing for these types of things, but rather act as though they have a right to whatever they want.

I let it go, and thanked Jeff for making an exception for me. I smiled, and said "I used to work overnights at a hotel. I completely understand how irritating it can be when people try to change their reservations." He didn't smile or acknowledge my comment. He then took my credit card for the reservation, and returned it to me , saying "This is not going to work. It doesn't even have your name on it." I told him that it was a prepaid visa card that I had used to purchase the Groupon online. The Groupon had given me specific instructions to bring the same card used for the purchase when I checked in. He laughed, and said "Well if you used to work in a hotel, you must know that we are required to put a hold on a credit card. We don't accept these types of cards." I walked outside into the pouring rain and called my dad, my emergency back up plan. My dad agreed to call him and try and talk some sense into him. Eventually he worked out a deal with Jeff to allow him to fax a copy of his card over and put a hold on his card for the night. I went back to the hotel, and waited. Jeff got the first copy of my father's card and laughed. I was sitting in a chair and texting my friend about the situation I was in. I asked him if everything was okay, and he said "Maybe you should text your father and ask him why he forgot to include the expiration date on his card?" I ignored the obvious dripping sarcasm, and called my dad. He re-sent the email. Finally, Jeff said I was able to check in. After he looked at my license (which is from Kansas), he said "So are you from Kansas or Portland?" and I said "Well, my license is from Kansas. My address is in Portland." He said "So…your license is invalid? Do any of your cards work?" and chuckled.

The rest of the staff seemed very pleasant, the hotel was clean and accommodating, and I'm reluctant to leave such a poor rating. However, I have never been treated this badly, and I got a yelp account just to say so! Bottom line- unless you are up to Jeff standards, don't stay here and expect to be treated with respect.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Hello Hannah N,

Words cannot express how sorry I am about your experience. I will be taking actions against this agent to make sure this never happens again. We always try to provide the best possible experience for guest and that includes great customer service. I will make sure this never happens again. Nothing gave him that right to treat you that way. As the front desk manager when I read this I felt very very sorry for this situation. I have worked many customer service jobs in the past and would have written the same review if I was in your shoes. Rest assured action will be taken and this will never happen again at this hotel. I hope that you give us another chance and see what great customer service we can provide.

BEST WESTERN Inn at the Meadows Staff

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Minutes from Downtown Portland and Vancouver. Rooms have just been renovated, good selection of breakfast items. Staff are very pleasant and hospitable. Very convenient to shopping in the immediate area.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your stay with us. Thank you for noticing the effort we've put into renovations and we appreciate the compliment to our staff. On top of that, you even enjoyed our free hot breakfast and the advantages of our location - great to hear! We hope you'll choose to stay with us again soon. We'd love to have you.

On behalf of the staff at BEST WESTERN Inn at the Meadows, thank you and take care!

Reviewed December 10, 2013

I must admit I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. I was traveling for business to Portland and I have passed this area every time, usually preferring to stay closer to downtown.
Well, let me tell you, I was happy to pull over sooner than later after crossing the bridge from WA. The heart of Portland is only about 10 minutes away anyway, so why not?
There is free parking, a few somewhat decent restaurants within a stones throw, and easy access to MLK or I-5 to take you into town. The parking lot seemed safe and worry free.
The room was clean, nice, and comfortable. I even liked the decor (which I usually don't care about one way or another.) It was sort of late when arrived and was nice to just unwind, plug into the free wi-fi (which worked just fine on my I-phone)..plus the HD TV is really nice! I do agree with another review that the remote is somewhat confusing when turning it off or on. Maybe I just don't know how to use these things anymore.
The staff was excellent and welcoming.
I was happy about the breakfast in the morning; There is the usual TV with the news on and some music playing overhead simultaneously. Every now and then I thought I heard an old fashion modem connection sound or a fax machine behind me as I ate and stared at the TV. Come to find out, as I finally turned around to see, it is one of those pancake machines.
I will say there are only paper plates available which I thought a bit odd. I am no prima donna, but thought it was weird to pry paper plates from the stack next to a lonely tip jar. Quality of the food was good, as was the coffee.

Bottom line is this is a great place to stay for a reasonable rate especially if you just need a place to relax and sleep between business/work excursions.

This will be the hotel I return to as I thought it had everything I needed.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your stay with us. We were happy to see that you had such a great stay with us. It's good to hear that you enjoyed the amenities we offer and that you took advantage of our location. Hope to see you again the next time you're in town - come back soon!

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I had hard time sleeping and was very sore in the morning.......My husband that can sleep anywhere also had difficulty sleeping......He also said he was disappointed, they only had powdered creamer... "even crappy, cheap stores give coffee creamer"

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for providing feedback about your recent stay with us. I'm sorry we did not meet your expectations regarding the beds. As for the creamer, we do have half and half available upon request, just for future reference. We are always striving to provide our guests with a superior hotel experience. We hope you'll choose to stay with us again the next time you're in town to show you that we've improved.

On behalf of all the staff here at BEST WESTERN Inn at the Meadows, thank you and take care!

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Nice enough staff, good breakfast, room decent, lacking business center and no fitness center, Needed to charge 500 dollars on my debit card for incidentals which seemed a bit absurd since there was no room service, in room movies, bar etc to charge. It was just a little disappointing after staying at the Staybridge Suites (in Vancouver) the week before for the same price...now that place was awesome !! BW at the Meadows, could have been worse to be sure.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for providing feedback about your recent stay with us. I'm glad you found our staff, breakfast and the room to your satisfaction. We are always striving to provide our guests with a more superior hotel experience. We hope you will choose to stay with us again the next time you are in town to show you that we have improved.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 6, 2013

The rooms are spacious with all new interiors. just be ready to here the aircraft from PDX. The parking lot is large enough that I had no problems parking a 27' boat and truck. There are many different restaurants to choice from and shopping is just a short walk away.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
BWPortland, Front Office Manager at Best Western Inn At The Meadows, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2013

Hello,

We are so happy to hear that you had a great stay. I apologize if you were hearing airplane noise. This is not a complaint we usually hear as we are not located by the airport. I am glad that you were able to find parking for your boat. We find that our location outside of downtown allows us to accommodate guests that could never park or stay in downtown. Thanks for noticing our upgraded rooms and we hope to see you soon.

BEST WESTERN Inn at the Meadows