“Best dim sum in Portland.”

Wong's King Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #543 of 4,293 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Newberg, OR
“Best dim sum in Portland.”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We've tried dim sum in multiple West Coast including Seattle, San Francisco, Portland, and even in Honolulu and this place holds its own with all of them! By far the best location in Portland, but unfortunately the locals know about it. If you're going on the weekend, plan on a 30 minute wait unless you get there 10 - 20 minutes before they open. Worth the wait, though and there is a fun coffee shop in the complex that helps to pass the time.

• Visited March 2013

Ormond Beach, Florida
“Had better”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Went here on a Sunday night. Got there at 9 p.m. and the restaurant was only half filled, but had to wait 20 minutes before we were seated. Three other groups were ahead of us, not enough waitstaff. The crab won tons were ok, we got the Peking duck which was too greasy. The pancakes were not the traditional thin ones, more like pillows. Overall I have had better in D.C.and Miami.

• Visited September 2013
Langley City, Canada
“Don't come too early”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were there early for dim sum lunch (10AM). The restaurant just opened. The dim sum tasted like reheated left-overs - not evenly heated and tasted like the shrimp used in the dim sum was not fresh. So, I stopped with the dim sum and went for the congees and fried rice noodles and both were alright.

• Visited August 2013
Lake Tahoe, Nevada
“Stuffed, but kept eating...”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

So much fun choosing (too much) to eat on dim sum Sunday. We just kept on trying new things and kept on eating. Delicious, good service, worth waiting in line for. Yum.

• Visited August 2013
Chandler, Arizona
“Lost in Translation”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We met a friend's family at Wong's King Seafood Restaurant around noon and the wait was about 30 minutes. There is a boba shop nearby to ease the wait. The parking lot is exceptionally small for the number of folks packing the place for Sunday dim sum. There were 7 of us total, including three small children under 4 yrs. old. This place seems to be quite family friendly and nearly half the tables had young children.

I'm a big fan of dim sum and recently got back from Hong Kong, so I was excited to go. What I found was frankly average, par for the dim sum course. They had the typical large round tables that seated roughly 8 and the typical pushy ladies hawking their cart's dishes. Some dishes were great, others lackluster. I normally would have rated it a 4/5 but the fact that nearly half of our dishes we requested was different that expected in some way pushed it down to the average 3/5 range. Thus, the "lost in translation" title.

The shaomai were great, but larger than I've ever seen. They were tender and flavorful with large pieces of shrimp inside. Everyone clearly enjoyed these and we ordered more without hesitation.

The pot stickers (guotie) were massive and the server cut them in half and injected a sweet sauce. They weren't very crispy on the outside, but the sauce was sweet yet fantastic. I personally prefer more traditional pot stickers, but these were gone in under a minute.

The shrimp dumpling (xia jiao) was the only thing that was exactly as expected. They didn't last long, but no one was begging for seconds either. The shanghai style dumplings (xiaolongbao) were pretty dry and lacked the savory soup that I love. The dumpling wrapper is thicker than I prefer, but I'm pretty used to this varying by local.

Turnip cake (luobo gao) is usually my favorite. It's usually 1/2" thick, crispy/charred on the outside and soft and gooey on the inside. So, I solicited ever server to see if they had it. Finally, one of the carts stopped by with what she said was turnip cake. Sadly, it turned out to be taro cake (yutou gao). The difference is dramatic, since this taro cake was over 1" thick, dry and quite starchy. No one liked it much.

We asked for "noodles" frankly expecting pan-fried noodles. Instead, we got rice noodle rolls (zhu chang fen) with beef. The beef inside was soft like a pate and the little ones rather enjoyed it. The flavor was pretty good, but it was definitely another unexpected dish.

Another one of my favorites is usually the jellyfish salad. The one at this restaurant has a mild spicy kick and is saturated in sesame oil, but otherwise completely bland and flavorless. Underneath, the daikon or turnip and carrots were soaking in rice vinegar. If you mixed the 2 quite a bit, it improved the flavor of the jellyfish a bit. That said, this is definitely not my favorite jellyfish salad.

The pork spareribs (chashao) were great and didn't need any of the accompanying (hoisin?) sauce. They were voraciously devoured in a few minutes. The pork buns were equally delicious and we ordered seconds. My wife liked the rice porridge (congee), but I think it's pretty difficult to mess that up.

• Visited May 2013