“Highly Recommend!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Book In Advance
Book a Tour
Ranked #11 of 95 Tours in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: Portland Walking Tours’ fun and award-winning events explore the excitement, history, food, architecture, neighborhoods, bridges, parks, fountains, artwork, and just plain weird places in Portland Oregon. Tours include the award-winning “Best of Portland,” showcasing what makes Portland such a fabulous place to live and visit (daily, 10 AM and 2 PM); our scandalous “Underground Portland,” aka "the worst of Portland," revealing both the physical and metaphorical subterranean story of Portland's sordid past; the eerie “Beyond Bizarre”, a hands-on exploration of Portland's paranormal, using real ghost-hunting equipment as seen on shows like "Ghost Adventurer" (TM) and "Paranormal State" (TM); our delicious “Epicurean Excursion” walking tour, a tasty immersion into Portland's amazing culinary "slow food" scene; our indulgent “Chocolate Decadence Tour," exploring and sampling chocolate in its many solid and liquid forms, from bean to bar and everything in between; "Roses Gone Wild!", which dishes the dirt on Portland's famous International Rose Test Gardens; and "Flavor Street," where you taste the best of Portland's incredible food cart scene - and skip the rest.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Danville, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Highly Recommend!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I almost always try to do a walking tour of cities that I visit. I find you learn so much and get a little exercise to boot! My husband and I did both the Best of Portland and the Flavor Street tours on the same day. Both were truly fantastic and I highly recommend them. The Best of Portland was a great overview of the city, its history, and tons of interesting facts. Our guide was witty and extremely knowledgeable. Flavor Street is a tour of the food cart scene and was such a unique experience. Everything we tasted was wonderful (even for a vegetarian) and we went back to the food trucks multiple times while we were in Portland because we couldn't get enough.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Wanda C

Phoenix, AZ
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Returned to almost every spot during our stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We did the Epicurian Excursion on Thursday after arriving in town that morning. It was a great way to get introduced to the city. The stops were good, the tastings enjoyable and we returned to the Picnic Place for dinner, Flying Elephants for a lunch, ordered some Olive Oils and Vinegars and did a food cart yesterday before our return. It was a fun tour, perhaps Herb could tell one or two less stories about himself and ask a little more about his guests...just saying...
Thanks

Visited August 2013
“Good way to try different good foods”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

This tour was well worth it! I am from Seattle and hearing about Portland being the capital of street food I had to try it out. There are a lot of food pods in Portland so it was difficult to know where to start, where to eat and where to spend our money so I signed up for this food tour from Portland Walking Tour called Flavor Street. Alyssa was our tour guide. She was punctual, very professional, knowledgeable, and took care all of us - there were 13 in the group.

The tour started at 1 on Saturday and lasted 2 hours (eat light before the tour) and we stopped at 7 pods to eat. There were other people there (not part of the tour) eating there too, but the Saturday crowd was light so there was plenty of room for all of us on the sidewalks.

I ordered my tickets online. I didn't get my email confirmation right away so I emailed them for it, and then they sent it to me.

Overall, I had a good experience and got what I wanted.

Vancouver, Washington
“Soooo much fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

I've lived in Vancouver, WA for 10 years and don't know why it's taken me so long to take a tour of Portland. And a Chocolate Tour at that! Our guide Donna was very knowledgeable about all things chocolate in Portland, taught my group a lot of really neat things and really just made the entire experience wonderful. I am definitely going to try other tours and will have to take the chocolate tour again when friends or family come into town. It's totally worth it!

READING
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Interesting history”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

A friend recommended we take this tour, and we're glad he did. This was a very interesting, informative tour of the darker history off Portland as advertised. The group size was about 20 people, which was about the max one guide can handle. Our guide was good, but we had difficulty hearing him several times--some due to him not speaking into the microphone while walking backward and making sure he didn't get run over crossing streets; and sometimes due to loud traffic or a helicopter that flew overhead a couple times. Guide was very knowledgeable and informative; and the tour, sights, and information were very interesting. Will recommend!

Visited August 2013
Gary C, Manager at Portland Walking Tours, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Reading_travelor,

Thank you for your kind review! We're glad the tour met your expectations of a dark, seedy history of Portland, and that you found the guide (aka Resident Expert) so informative. The rigorous training they go through appears to have paid off!

We're sorry that there were audio difficulties on the tour. We'll check the equipment and also review best practices for using the mike and speaker with our guides to make sure everyone can hear. Yes, 20 is the largest sized group we'll allow - partly for this very reason. Also, we just like to keep the tours small for a more intimate experience.

Thanks again for your feedback. It helps us continue to improve the quality of each tour we give. Even after over ten years of daily tours, there is still room to improve.

Been to Portland Walking Tours? Share your experiences!