“Okay Experience”

La Cocina
Ranked #618 of 4,996 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed April 11, 2019 via mobile

First time to Portland, my wife and family friend picked La Cocina as our first food stop. Margaritas were fantastic. Wife bought chimichanga with red sauce and stated she really enjoyed her meal. Family friend ordered Chilaquiles, she also really enjoyed her meal. I ordered the shrimp ceviche and it left a lot to be desired. I consider myself a little bit of a ceviche connoisseur and really enjoy a fresh ceviche. Being in the PNW I thought this would be a slam dunk. I was a little discouraged as the bowl came out frozen which let to the sauce sticking to the bowl and I had to chisel it off. My ceviche also had no pico in it, rather a lot yams/shrimp/and a red sauce. I left wanting more, but my wife and friend really enjoyed their meal.

Date of visit: April 2019

Reviewed April 3, 2019 via mobile

I was craving Mexican food for my birthday celebration with family. After checking out various websites we landed on La Cocina because it was family friendly, took reservations, and was not packed. We found parking just to the south of the building. Atmosphere/decor was fun and they had a lovely outdoor seating area too. Food was great! A variety of food was ordered - nachos, quesadillas, taquitos, and burritos. All reported good food. I’m giving it four stars because they charge for small portions of chips and salsa. I understand an extra charge for guacamole but it’s $9 for an order of chips, salsa, and guacamole. Another $10 was for two more chips and salsa. Overall, I would go back and order Nachos for $10 instead of the non-complimentary chips.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed March 25, 2019 via mobile

Love this place
Great breakfasts- and coffee flavored with cinnamon.
Wonderful specials- & traditional Mexican foods.
we usually go for Happy Hour 2-5 pm
Best deal !
Enchiladas in the most delicious mole sauce mmmmmmm
Shrimp cocktail, burritos covered in spicy sauces, empanadas etc....
Plus fresh juices ! (& of course yummy drinks; )
The decor and vibe are very Mexican, bright and festive!
Staff are very nice
Prepare to relax and stay awhile, sometimes it takes alittle while- but soooooo worth the wait!

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed December 27, 2018 via mobile

I am visiting from Michigan and wanted Mexican. Good choice. Lots of yummy choices and more corn based than wheat based. I have a gluten sensitivity and everything I ate was fine. Sopecitos, nachos, empanadas and tamales. The black beans were PERFECT. Great margs and an awesome mojito too.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed August 10, 2018

A group of 5 us ate here. There is a few on street parking. There is a small lot behind the restaurant. They have a nice patio for seating. The ambiance is pretty authentic. The server was a little slow. It took several minutes to be greeted. Only 3 tables in the place.
The food came out pretty quick. We had tostones for an appetizer. It had really good flavor. Topped with radish, onion and carne asada. I had ordered 3 tacos (they are single entree) I had a conchanita pibil--it was very tasty. I got a Al Pastor--also pretty good. And a Carne asada. (all tacos only topped with onion and cilantro, as it should be). The other's entrees were good as well. A pretty traditional flavorful food.

Date of visit: August 2018

Been to La Cocina? Share your experiences!