“Would stay again!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #63 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Would stay again!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

Yes, as other reviewers have mentioned before me, the rooms at Ace Hotel Portland are not the warmest (temperature-wise) out there. I guess it has to do with the hotel being in an old building. But I had a great sleep in the somewhat colder room.
The design of the hotel is marvellous: I loved it! Minimalistic chic, starting with the reception area: a place you want to hang out in all day. Our room was very well designed, with some 'strange' things compared to what you might be used to compared with other hotels (for instance the sink next to the bed in stead of in the bathroom), but it worked. And I loved the old fashioned bathtub, which had a great shower and lovely shampoo, etc. But yes, this is not a hotel for everybody, you have to be a bit into design to appreciate the rooms fully. This is not a regular hotel!
The location is very central. Just a few blocks away from the Pearl district, but also from the more downtown/shopping area. We could walk almost everywhere.
We also had a lovely dinner at the hotels' restaurant, Clyde Common. Great food.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
County Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

The hotel is super hip and trendy, with a Stumptown Coffee shop adjoining, however our room was freezing cold! There were no curtains on our window, instead there was a sliding wooden door, which was pretty pointless, as a mean draft came licking in either side of the door right onto our bed. I had to use some extra pillows and two dressing gowns to block up the draughts - even still we had to sleep in our hoodies!

Room was clean and was a decent size, but not very relaxing place due to the cold. We had a free-standing bath in our room which was cool and the bed was really comfy too.

The Ace Hotel has a great location in downtown Portland - walking distance from Deschutes Brewery, Voodoo Donuts, and the Crystal Ballroom, as well as Nordstrom, etc. Staff were friendly too.

We stayed for three nights and ended up paying close to $600 - it totally wasn't worth that!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

I had the opportunity to travel up to Portland for the first time to catch up with a good mate of mine who'd relocated there from our old stomping ground of Boston.

I arrived mid-December and kind of got the fact it would be cold - I was ready. But ending up in a room where the a/c simply did not work which meant the room maintained a constant 12C was pretty miserable for someone who'd flown out of a typical Brisbane summer.

It was kind of fun to have to dress up to go to bed - jeans, jumpers, jackets, and a beanie! But Sunday morning was brutal...In fact, it was warmer to go for a run along the Willamette River than stay in my room.

Credit to the front desk staff who tried to sort the issue - but bugger me the room was cold!

I may give the hotel another try later this year - but I'm inclined to want a guarantee the heating is working before I commit!

Room Tip: If you travel in winter - heating would be a nice addition!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mark P
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

The location of this hotel is excellent. It puts you right in the middle of everything. Plenty of close restaurants and shopping. There was some cool artwork in the stairway, and some of the rooms (ours was not one of those). They also have bicycles you can borrow for free. Unfortunately, the room left a lot to be desired. The room had a strange set up. Let's talk about the shower first. The shower, toilet and the sink were all in separate areas of the room. The shower was mildewy and had black sludge in the corners. I wore my flip flops in there. Ick. The toilet was in a little closet with a sliding barn door. No big deal, just weird. I had a hard time finding the hand soap. It's the black, Ghirardelli chocolate-sized square hanging from the hook. Just FYI. The bed was terrible. I felt like I was sleeping on a cinder block. I'll just call that very, very firm. However, the worst part of the stay was the loud howling wind sound all through the night. I'm fairly sure it was a weird air pressure thing inside the building. It wasn't present during the day. Just in the middle of the night. Apparently that's what the earplugs were for. That and all of the noise from adjacent rooms. I could hear everything.
I generally don't switch hotels during a stay, but I was so disappointed with my one night experience, that we packed up and moved to a Marriott for the remainder of our stay. On the plus side, I really liked the conditioner which I brought it with us to the Marriott.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jaybee_96
Westwood, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

hung out with the 2 teen age boys in portland for the weekend & found the ace to be a "cool" place... an evening whiskey at the attached restaraunt was fun & the stumptown coffee an excellent morning starter... fun times! lots of boutique hotels to chose from in portland, but ace is always on top of its game.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank greenskyblue
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

I was attracted to this hotel by the photos of cool, unique rooms, reasonable rates and good location.

They "aced" the latter two- and even partly the first. The room was interesting with the barn doors, newspaper clipping wallpaper and industrial finish.

But the room was freezing (very likely no insulation in the walls or just leaky ancient windows); the tile in the shower was so gross I didn't use it; The low tech old school room key is quaint, but didn't leave me feeling secure in this neighborhood; the noise was not to an acceptable level late into the night, and while I appreciate the provided earplugs there are plenty of choices nearby for the same price but with better insulation.

I wouldn't stay here again. Best for hipsters who don't sleep or shower.

• Stayed February 2014
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

I have now stayed at the Ace in Portland twice and love it. The rooms are simple and kept very clean. The location is perfect! Easily ride the light rail from the airport, which stops only blocks from the Ace.
Don't forget to try the Stumptown coffee in the lobby. They make a very nice latte.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for an interior room. I noticed I could hear the trash being collected early in the...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends