“Epitome of a hip, curated boutique hotel, but a tad rough around the edges”
Review of Ace Hotel Portland

Ace Hotel Portland
Ranked #59 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Portland, Oregon
“Epitome of a hip, curated boutique hotel, but a tad rough around the edges”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed here solo for my first trip to Portland, and it was a great choice - this hotel seems to epitomize everything about Portland that you'd expect and want. Spot on rock-and-roll / vintage decor with well considered flourishes (record players and wall murals in the room!), hip clientele, excellent and popular Stumptown Coffee on the ground floor, amazing brunch next door and Kenny and Zuke's, and a great location downtown and close to transit to the east as well as the Pearl District and downtown.

The rooms and lobby feel like hanging out in a friend's hip apartment and it is very comfortable and welcoming, not at all pretentious or too-cool-for-school. The staff is all quite friendly as well and helped me in a pinch when my flight was delayed and I arrived a day late. I would recommend upgrading from the basic room to a deluxe room for a bit more space to relax. Also, the rooms on the front of the hotel have a better street view, but you'll need earplugs on weekends since the windows are single paned and can get a tad noisy. But the bed is insanely comfortable, with adorable Pendleton blankets which make for a great night's sleep. All in all, great character for a hotel and a better choice than a more cookie-cutter option in the area.

The only caveat that I will mention is that the hotel is definitely a bit rough around the edges at times if you are expecting a top-notch hotel experience, and aesthetics can take precedent over functionality. It's not a hotel to be pampered in. My room was a bit noisy (you could hear both outside street noise, hallway noise, and the people above me walking around). Also, the amenities are a bit lackluster - the towels aren't a bit rough and the bathrobes aren't very comfy - and the sink in my room was separate from the shower / toilet area which was a bit frustrating. Also, I forgot my iPhone charger at home, and was a bit surprised that the front desk didn't have a few extras lying around (or know that there was an Apple store a 10 minute walk away when I asked). But hey, it's not that pricey, so I'll forgive those little things.

Caveats aside, though, highly recommended and I will definitely be staying there upon my return visits to Portland!

Room Tip: Rooms in the front of the building have a better street view but can be a bit noisy - bring a pair o...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This is a youthful hotel for young people with style. It's not cheap, it's not a business hotel. It's probably not for you. But if you are cool, young (at heart) and can accept the occasional noise from people having a good time, this place is for you.

The rooms are basic and minimal, but well chosen furnishings, and funny details.

The elevator is slow as sin, just avoid it and stay on a lower floor.

Great restaurant and coffee shop attached.

Room Tip: Lower floor, take the stairs
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank eric_yld
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I read a review that was dishing the Nines and saying this was the hotel. I know there are many that want hip over a quality linens, an amazing bef and huge walk in shower. I am not that girl. They is also frequented by a liberal crowd, that I think I am, but I like luxury and comforts. Cute place, small rooms, without the comforts. Anyone saying this is the place over the Nine's over the Vintage needs to be real!
Your staff is awesome and you are fun, but you are not 5 star!!!

Room Tip: You don't really have a choose, it is what you get and seems to be all varied. Pretend you are...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sunnynlajolla
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Always a good stay in any of the rooms but if you can get one of the Junior Deluxe Front rooms those are the best in my opinion. The only negative in my opinion is that the hotel uses relatively firm mattresses and I wish they used pillow-top mattresses. But all in all, one of the best places to stay in PDX. Centrally located, so you're close to pretty much everything on that side of the river. Also, Stumptown in the lobby is pretty much the best thing ever. Not really suited for family stays but you can do a night or two here while on business and it's pretty much dead on.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 3, 2013

In summary: a place with the vibe that probably attracted you to visit Portland in the first place, fantastic location with plenty nearby and very central to everything in Portland, yes it is a bit expensive, but I was happy with my stay. I was worried it could be too cool, or that it would turn out to be a dumpy place trading on a cool vibe, but I felt very comfortable and enjoyed it.

I was travelling by myself, and so wanted something central and reasonably comfortable. I had read about the Ace, but did worry it might turn out to be more battered than hip (or that it would be too cool for school). But I had a great stay! I found the staff at the front desk very welcoming on arrival and very helpful about storing my bags on my last day. I loved the local artisan breakfast spread available on the second floor for $10 - a European style spread with pastries, yogurt with various toppings (dried fruits and amazingly delicious granola), a selection of cheese and charcuterie (the Olympic Provisions salami is delicious), juice, tea and coffee, and the New York Times to read. I also ate at Clyde Common a few times - their staff were so cool as to be a bit useless really, but the happy hour has great cheap cocktails and eats. Slightly disappointed with Stumptown Coffee off the other side of the lobby, but being a Melbournian, I have high coffee expectations! I had room 427 - after asking for a room that was both quiet and with good natural light. I am not sure if it is because it was an upper floor, but I found the room to be very quiet, although occasionally other guests slammed their doors quite hard. The room was comfortable, although you should note that the sink is in the room (not the bathroom), I had a shower over bath and the bath would not hold water for an actual bath (leaky plug). I was a bit worried about the futon bed, but I found it reasonably comfortable (not too hard or too low), but a better selection of pillows would have been good. I liked all the amenities available - the magazines, the mini-bar, good cable tv, nice toiletries. Wifi worked fine in my room, but I had some troubles with it on the mezzanine (a good place to hang out and do some work or use the mac computer, but the internet on the mac is slooow). The location is great, just a block to Powell's, very close to food truck pods, cinema right across the street, good public transit nearby. I liked the photo booth in the lobby! Complaints about the elevator seem unfounded to me - maybe I just have always lived or worked in buildings with slow elevators, but it wasn't a problem. I was by myself, and felt fine walking around Portland at night, including around the hotel.

Room Tip: I had room 427 which had good natural light and was quiet - ask for a high floor room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Flight99
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Great hotel. Left the Nines to stay here while combining a business trip with pleasure and this place was perfect. Highly recommend. Hip, cool neighborhood with tons of great restaurants, bars and stores nearby. More of a protland vibe than the soul-lessness of pioneer square. Definitely a great choice for immersing yourself in what makes portland speicial...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Michael-and-Jose
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We are just about to check out after 3 nights in the Ace. As international tourists, the Ace completely satisfied our needs (and wants). It's in such a convenient location and the coffee shop and eateries downstairs are fantastic. If you're looking for plush, generic accommodation the Ace probably isn't for you. The stairs are creaky, the rooms and fixtures are old but it has so much character and feels more like being at home than a hotel. Our room looked down on a street with a streetcar running along it but it wasn't intrusive at all. We would definitely visit again.

• Stayed April 2013