“Real talk”

Ranked #60 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Santa Monica, California, United States
“Real talk”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Sorry but I can't drink this kool-aid any longer. I have stayed here 3 times in the past 2 years. Each time I tell myself it will be different but it never really is. The decor, the vibe and the people are all amazing but if you are looking for a good nights sleep, this is not your place.

I don't want to sound like a granny, but the beads are lumpy, the pillows are made with cotton balls and you can here every person walking through the halls on the creaky wood floor. Ohh, and don't get the room next to the shared bathroom. Same story, you will here everything that goes on in there. The Ace is an average hotel at best in my opinion. I love funky, weird, historic, and vintage places/things but there has to be some peace and comfort involved as well.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Shane H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed March 11, 2013

i went to porland for a 2 day class and stayed here. The hotel has a nice decoration, it's very well kept and it's on a great location (I saw a review where they said there was a lot of homeless, but I didn't see any more than in the rest of downtown). The room was very clean and people at the front desk where helpful and nice...I stay in a standard private bathroom room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Vancouver
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Love this Hotel! It has an incredible young vibe and it is different to any chain Hotels. Cool bar downstairs, which also offers room service. Loved my room and the old style free standing bathtub. Will be back the next time I'm in Portland

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I think the best way to describe this hotel is rustically cool. It is not for those who are expecting a hotel in the traditional sense of the word. Our room was laid out such that the sink was outside the washroom— definitely a bit unconventional. The room itself was clean and cozy, and the Malin+Goetz amenities were luxurious and generous. The hotel was very well located, equal distance from the Pearl District and downtown Portland so perfect for shopping and restaurant hopping. Another bonus is that Clyde Common and Stumptown Coffee were just downstairs so it was convenient to get a coffee in the morning and a cocktail at night!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Los Altos, CA
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stayed at this historic place in downtown Portland. The person who booked it for me told me he was giving me a surprise and indeed it was a good one. Room was small but very clean. It had a sink but no bathroom. If you do not like the idea of a common bathroom, this place is not for you. They have clean, common shower stall on each floor. Rooms had these old style windows that you could pull by chain. They were covered by woolen towels to stop cold draft. You learn how hotels were in those days. The whole place smells history.

There is a nice sitting area in the lobby with books, old and new. A top-notch coffee place. Home cooked breakfast served for a reasonable $10 in the second floor.

When I checked into the hotel having forgotten important items at home, they gave me a good set of toothbrush, paste etc. Very kind folks.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel is pretty unique in my opinion. It has one of the best lounges ever - mainly because it is not a standard hotel lounge - Stump town coffee store provides the hot drinks, and Clyde Common the food and cocktails. Perfect.
There is free wifi throughout and sofas that many Portlanders come and use without staying at the hotel - and that says a lot.
the rooms, are cool, cool, cool,
many with record players, all with really comfortable beds the rooms are unique.
Each room has art from a Portland artist, some share a shower so make sure you get an en suite.
Not the kind of place your mom would like to stay but if you are up for a cooler and more human place then this is for you.

Cons
No alcohol in the mini bar, rooms can be noisy at the front.

Overall perfect for me, but may not be for you

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Ace for a couple of nights over a weekend. It is what it is. Style over substance. The good points are the Ace is in a great location, it is unique and is definitely not a corporate hotel, there is a great restaurant 'Clyde Common' and coffee shop 'Stumptown'. The futon bed was comfy for us. The staff were friendly but don't expect anyone to help you with your luggage through those heavy doors. I'm drifting into the negative now......

The shower had no power and why is the sink not in the bathroom? I'd also made a note in my reservation for a bath as we were traveling with a 5 month old baby but this request was ignored. There is noise out on the street, but hey there is noise in the hotel, it's expected if the rooms have record players. It didn't really bother us on the 4th floor. The elevator was a bit nuts.......we had to use it with the stroller but everytime I ventured in the elevator I was in for a ride down to 2, up to 4, then down to 1. Use the stairs, it's quicker! The couch in the room was pretty stained. We didn't try the breakfast and went to the Jewish deli on the corner (can't remember the name) which is over-rated, surly service and mediocre food.

I want to not like the Ace but there is something quirky about it but I don't think we will be staying there again. You should try it but know what to expect. Next time we visit Portland I want a hotel not a hostel, I'm all for cool but I'd like a hotel where there is service and some degree of comfort for the price. We paid around $250 per night.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family