“Perfect for my needs”
Review of Ace Hotel Portland

Ace Hotel Portland
Ranked #59 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Yes, the Ace could work on some being less cool and more hospitable.... this is the hospitality business. I loved my shared-bath room and slept well. The whole experience was reminiscent of European travels in the 70's, except that a shared-bath room was cheap then, not cool. I look forward to staying here again when i am in Portland.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed October 5, 2011

Cool hotel. Great setting but you better be OK with noise inside and out. Sadly most employees too cool to care about taking care of you. No, we don't deliver coffee (even though there's a card from Stumptown in the room that says we do) and Oh yeah, I SAID I'd call you a cab but didn't. Asked for Fed Ex box to be delivered to my room and was then told they gave it to someone else. Rude is not cool. Basic training and courtesy would've been nice for the price.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank WAHC
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Quirky hotel in a great location right in downtown Portland. Walking (or biking here in Portland) distance to the riverfront, Jeld-Wen Stadium, and the Pearl. Room is cool and interesting (shower in the room rather then the bathroom) but plenty of space and nice setup. Don't miss breakfast on the 2nd floor with all sorts of fresh and homemade foods along with Stumptown coffee.

Only complaint is we had a room facing the street, and glass recycling at the bar across the street seemed to occur about 5am.

Room Tip: Nice view from window on front side, but a bit noisier as well.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Fun and trendy hotel in a great location. Basic accommodation but done well. Definitely got the "hipster" vibe but not to the extent you would feel uncomfortable if you aren't a hipster :). My only regret is not realizing I reserved a room without a washroom...yup some rooms have communal washrooms (they are spotless btw). Also parking was a pain and a rip off if you go through the hotel. I will stay here again as I found it fun with the photo booth, coffee shop and bar. For the price, it is the fun option as opposed to a motel chain. This all being said, I wouldn't tell my parents to stay here but would recommend it to my friends (that are under 30).

Room Tip: Check you have a washroom :) and the end of a hall would be best it can be a bit noisy
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We wished we could have stayed longer. Loved the quirky room, and the restaurant downstairs was amazing. Perfect for exploring Portland!

Reviewed September 5, 2011

I am only 32 years old, but I felt too old for this place. I think my college dorm room was nicer (see pics). I looked at some of the other pictures and it looks like there are nicer rooms, but we went with one without its own toilet...just a sink. I am pretty sure that there were only 2 single person unisex bathrooms for a floor of 28 rooms. Now, you could say, "you get what you pay for", but for less than the Ace, we were able to stay across the river at the Doubletree, which was much nicer all the way around.

The walls in the Ace are thin and we heard our neighbors easily, as they came in from a late night of drinking. Also, the bed is very hard and there was no headboard. The window in our room was cracked and the view was of a wall of a building next door. The elevator is also very small and quite unfinished seeming.

Room Tip: Avoid the dormitory style rooms
6  Thank Pat M
Reviewed September 1, 2011

First off this hotel is in a great location, on Stark right downtown Portland. A couple blocks away from Powell Books, max station, and tons of good restaurants and bars. The Ace hotel has a real modern, minimalist feel to it. My girlfriend and I shared the shared standard room which means no bathroom. You gotta share a bathroom and shower that is down the hall, no big deal for us. But for $100 a night we couldn't complain. Seriously, good luck finding a better price downtown portland. You could end up paying a bit more for the rooms that have a bathroom. The breakfast in the morning was the thing that kinda chapped my anus. We walk in and the guy (friendly enough) tells us that breakfast is $8 a pop. It was sort of a pretentious spread: artisanal cheeses and meats, some crazy fish dish, and jams with bread. Seriously? In Seattle we got free waffles and cereal with coffee that was way better and FREE. It was pretty good, but they should advertise the price. They lead you believe it is a free breakfast. What are you supposed to do? Walk away after the guy tells you to pay up. Very tricky Ace Hotel....very tricky indeed. Long story short, decent stay but Seattle does it better. It was a nice trip but, it just drives the point home for me: Portland is a great city full of pretentious hipsters. Throw away that cuban hat and shave that ridiculous moustache!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, we were stuck staring at a wall