“In Portland, brunch is kind of a religion ...”

Simpatica Dining Hall
Ranked #989 of 4,385 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 4, 2012

... and Simpatica is one of the churches. There are a handful of "must try" brunch sites in Portland. Simpatica is probably the most easily managed without risking a truly lengthy wait. They'll do reservations for 6 or more, and work with you on a call-ahead plan if your schedule is tight or you have special considerations. The staff is great. The setting is convivial and stylish (you may end up sharing a table with another party, depending on the size of your group, which adds to the community spirit of the place). And the food is superb. I was there with a college friend. He had the frittata. I had the belgian waffles with green tomato syrup. Both were well portioned (generous but not too much) and delicious. Simpatica is known for its chicken and waffles. My waffles were done perfectly ... crispy but fluffy on the inside. The green tomato syrup was terrific. Street parking on a Sunday morning is ample. There was a line, but not a long wait (due to the mixed-table seating, I think they can accomodate odd group sizes more easily than needing to wait for a two-top or a four-top to open), and there's coffee in the hallway. The environment was pleasant and relaxed. We didn't feel rushed at all. AND we got out of there for $27 (not taking advantage of the bar helped keep our tab down, I know). I look forward to going back again.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

My friend and I looked forward to experience this place and we were extremely pleased from the moment we arrived; greeted by the very pleasant and attentive hostess. Very genuine. The decor of the dining room was aesthetic and simple. Since we were early arrivals we had a choice of seating; we sat and introduced ourselves to the younger few diners next to us. Indeed, it was communal dining; however, in terms of engaging in conversation with strangers throughout dinner, that was not to be. A bit of chit-chat, but that was all, despite my effort. Could it be because we were older? Hmmmm.

That evening (October 6, 2012) began with smoked eggplant spread, flatbread, marinated olives and baked ricotta. I found the eggplant spread quite delectable. The next course was roasted heirloom tomato and bread soup which was positively divine and we decided that that was the highlight and best of the entire dinner selections. Since we are not inclined to eat pork, the staff accommodated us (and graciously) with no problem regarding the main course which was pork-stuffed cabbage. We expected to perhaps have beef-stuffed or maybe even rice-stuffed cabbage. Instead, we were served plain "buttered" roast chicken breast with chanterelles that were, alas, much too over-done. The dessert of pear torte with caramel sauce was quite ordinary, not very pear flavourful, and heavy.

It's comforting to know that, after reading the reviews about Simpatica on this site, it would seem that Brunch is a winner. I wish I could say the same for our dinner. I would unhesitatingly give a 4.5 rating for staff service, particularly since they were able to accommodate us and genuinely seemed to really care. However, the dinner, was much less than we expected, particularly in specialty, something different, and taste. (The soup, however, was wonderful).

Would we return? Hard to say. Although I believe I wouldn't mind giving it another chance, but for Brunch....based on the reviews.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Great dinners and also Brunch on the weekends! Make a reservation or plan to wait in line because this is a popular place. Dress is casual and the food is good. Simple dishes made with local ingredients. Medium to medium high prices. Portions are smaller but adequater for a meal. Items like oven dried tomatoes on pasta and fried chicken and waffles (with a smoky country gravy) make it a favorite of many Portlanders. A good wine list and some cocktails. Try a Bloody Mary with Brunch! Community tables!

Reviewed November 30, 2011

I love this restaurant. I have been many times, and its one of my favorite restaurants to bring guests to.

What I like: They set the menu, so I don't have to think about it. I always like it, yet it almost never would have been something I would have ordered if I have more choices, so it gets me out of my food ruts. They feature ingredients that are fresh and in season locally. For the price, I always feel that I've gotten a great bargain.

What can be interesting: you are seated at community tables, so sometimes your dinner partners can be...interesting! I've had tables with great conversation, and I've had tables with awkward stilted conversation, or conversation that was monopolized by one socially inept boob. It's a toss up what will happen. I recommend going with at least one other person so you can save each other if the table is awkward.

Reviewed December 27, 2009

This is my favorite dining spot in Portland. The changing pre-fixe menu alwaysd features the freshest local products. The hall is great and the staff gives a great run down of the menu and preparation of each course. They were also very willing to accomodate vegetarian meals.