“Try it”

Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 25th and Clinton
Description: The Savoy Tavern was established May 5th 2005 with the sole intention of bringing the dishes and tastes of the Midwest to Portland Oregon. Since then we have been serving up mountains of fried cheese curds, rivers of Friday fish fry's, and hours and hours of happy hours for our guests. The Savoy's room has been described as a dark, cozy, sleek, modern interior with homey Midwest charms. Our goal is to provide our guests with the best value in food, beer, wine, and cocktails. Our food will bring you back to the home cooking of the Midwest, and back again through our front door. We pride ourselves on our regulars, our neighborhood, our staff, and above all, our good ol' Midwest hospitality.
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

We had dinner and drinks there, a group of 6. My food was great, but others weren't as happy. Drinks were good, the waiter was very friendly. Not a place to go in a hurry but when you have time to relax as grab dinner at a neighborhood place, this is a good place.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

The veggie burger and the beet salad were fantastic. The service was the best part of the experience, friendly and perfectly attentive.

Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Savoy has a great atmosphere, a little restaurant and a little dive bar, but food is really good. On my Friday search for the best fish I found that Savoy Friday fish fry was the best. Walleye with fries and applesauce and coke slaw. Try also the fried chicken (on Sundays I think).
When the weather is good you can dine outside and watch the sunset. Love SE!

1  Thank maxscipio
Reviewed February 25, 2013

What a cool idea - midwestern cuisine imported to the uber hip restaurant scene of Portland. I really like this place. There is an allure, "I am with the cool kids" feel to the place.

The food - well no need to look any further than their outstanding French Fries. They are awesome morsels of fried delight. The brussels sprouts, meat board, and cheese plate are all really nice as well (I feel bad we did not try the cheese curds; but having had them in WI before I know how unsettling they are to the palate).

I settled for the pork chop. Nicely prepared and well paired with the sautéed greens. My table mates each went for something a little different. From the "three sides" entree to the ham and cheese sandwich - everyone of our dishes were good.

The one complaint - the restaurant is not the best at timing the courses. We ordered a bunch of food - and it all came at once . . . including the salads. I am not going to "beat them up" for this little oversight - because everything else was really good.

The serves were all very nice and completely approachable. This is not always the case in some of Portland's more trendy and hip restaurants.

My recommendation - this is worth the visit. A gem of a place tucked away in the Clinton Neighborhood of southeast PDX. Worth every bite!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I was in Portland for work and connected with friends that live here. Somehow this restaurant was chosen for casual neighborhood dining, and thank god it was! I walked into a very woodies comfortable environment that just made me warm inside. The bar was tucked away in the back of the dining room which was a little different and in a good way. It made for a very cozy atmosphere.

Once we were sat at our table (booth actually) I reviewed the menu and started to wonder...what Wisconsinite designed this menu???? Sure enough the owner lived between Madison and Milwaukee before making his way out West. The familiar comfort food of my Upper Midwest childhood had me debating what to order. I settled for the grilled pork chop that was brined (sp) to a wonderful moistness and had the BBQ sauce on the side. The brussels sprouts were roasted to perfection and the green salad was far from average mixed greens. This kitchen really knew how to throw a meal together. The pickled appetizer platter we ordered ahead of time just added to the moment. I want to return...now!