“Good Unique Food”

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed July 30, 2014

On a recent trip to Portland, a friend of mine who is also a chef recommended we try pok pok.

I wasn't disappointed.

While we were told it was Thai cuisine, this is much more traditional Thai than you may have experienced.

We got there about 7pm on a Tuesday night and the wait for a table was about an hour. They have a sister establishment down the street called the Whiskey Soda Lounge so we went there for drinks while we waited for our table.

It was ready right on time and they even knew to come tell us in the Lounge. We got a table right up front which was pretty much like dining outdoors, but it was a lovely evening and I preferred it to the tables downstairs which came across as a little claustrophobic.

The service was excellent and our waitress spent a lot of time with us explaining the menu. We had a catfish dish which was delicious as well as the special which was whole tilapia.

It was a wonderful time. Since there are so many fine restaurants in the area it may be awhile before I go back, but I would definitely look forward to it.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

Was told that I had to try this place. Made the mistake of reserving a table for 8 upstairs. Ambiance was very eclectic and thought we would have a fun unique dinner. Service was very slow and our server didn't pay us much attention and acted like he had better things to do. Some of the food was good (prawns) but most of it was just ok (ribs were dry and had no flavor). Drinks ,when they came, were fun and different. Better service, and even food, was at the Whiskey Soda bar across the street that is associated with Pok Pok. Try Pok Pok one time if you must, but no need to do it twice. They seem to be a victim of their own success.

1  Thank Steve D
Reviewed July 29, 2014

The wait for this place is very very long (up to two hours) ... we spent ours eating appetizers in Bollywood Theater down the street ... but even if just for the most fantastically, crispy/sweet/salty/spicy Fish Sauce wings I have ever had it is worth the wait.

On top of this the service is professional and courteous (not sure what happened to some of the other reviewers) and they pointed out what was spicy and what was not. when were ordering. The Pork belly was amazing as were the coconut milk noodles.

Fantastic.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

We decided to try Pok Pok for an early dinner. We got there around 5 pm on a week night. There were people waiting ahead of us but we opted for counter service instead of waiting 30 minutes for a table. The restaurant is very unique ...it looks like a food cart that grew and expanded over time into a full size restaurant. The place is extremely casual - no need to dress up.

The menu has a large number of items to choose from - some are family style servings while others are individual portions. This was our first time so we tried several things on the menu. We found some dishes to be very good while others were just ok....everything is a matter of personal preference. I really like Thai food and have been to a lot of Thai restaurants over the years. I didn't particularly find Pok Pok to be better or worse than any other place. My wife really liked the place and wanted to go back a second time but we ran out of time on the trip.

The service was good - waitress was very helpful. The prices seemed reasonable although some of the individual portions were a bit small.

It seems that Portland has an abundance of Thai restaurants. Pok Pok was ok and I would probably try another place for comparison.

1  Thank exptraveller501
Reviewed July 27, 2014

...seeing the raves of online "best of" lists. The chicken wings are the best thing on the menu, but somewhat salty. The other dishes I've tried (catfish, boar collar) are average at best. LUCKILY, it was neither expensive nor filling, so we dashed up the street for one of the best pizzas I've had at Apizza Scholls! If you're set on trying the chicken wings, though, save yourself the wait and visit Whiskey Soda across the street. You'll get a good plate of wings and a nice cocktail without the disappointment of an hour long wait and the mildly surly serving staff.