“Different, fantastic Pok Pok”
Review of Pok Pok Restaurant

Pok Pok Restaurant
Ranked #149 of 4,565 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed June 23, 2014

It's hard to know what's just hype when you read about places like Pok Pok. On a recent Monday night, I was able to dodge the wait at 7pm and grab a seat at an outdoor counter. It wasn't fancy, but the food tastes the same! Servers were very knowledgeable, the drinks were great (tamarind whiskey sour!), and the amount the servers recommended was just enough for the two of us. It's a bit of a taxi ride outside of the city center (where I was staying), but it was worth the ride.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,357)

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Oh, the wings! Been here three times, and everything is mouth-watering. I could eat the corn until I explode.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

This is a great restaurant. The food is awesome and the servings are not too large. That way you can try more things. Not your average Thai restaurant. Very inventive menu.

Review collected in partnership with Coast Hotels
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Went to Pok Pok last month (second dinner on my trip to PDX) and I am glad I got the opportunity to go. The open-air seating outside and the classy/casual inside made the atmosphere really refreshing, and the menu was inspiring (although I find Thai food in general inspiring!). That said, some of the items my fiance and I ordered were amazing and others were just so-so. The spicy boar collar with chilled greens was extremely flavorful (the contrast between the hot/spicy boar and the chilled greens was a great sensory experience), and the Vietnamese fish sauce wings were fantastic. I am not a "wing person," but I will officially make an exception for these ones. On the flip side, the smoky charcoal-grilled eggplant salad was not so much of a hit, and the charcoal roasted game hen could have used more flavor.

The service at Pok Pok could use some work. I can understand some wait time at a restaurant that is busy, but I didn't feel like the staff were very welcoming, and we had long wait times for drinks and refills.

Overall, I enjoyed my experience at Pok Pok and will definitely be back, but I think there are a lot of other Thai restaurants out there that are just as good.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

Pok Pok makes a kafir lime distilled gin that turns their G&T's into a refreshing, fun and absolutely delicious drink. The best I have ever had. Follow this with one or more of their exquisite dishes and you have a perfect dining experience. Unpretentious and low-key, the casual atmosphere lends itself to Thai cuisine and the chef's expert blend of subtle flavors turns each dish into a taste extravaganza. Sharing is encouraged and facilitated, so choice is not restricted; we shared the chicken satays, a beef fillet salad and the chicken salad, with coconut corn on the cob, bolstered by subtly flavored coconut rice. It was a perfect end to a gorgeous Portland day. I cannot recommend it enough.