“DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE/NOT WORTH A LONG WAIT!!!”
Review of Pok Pok Restaurant

Pok Pok Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 4,420 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

My hubby wanted to try Pok Pok so we ventured over to Division to find a crowd waiting on a cool overcast Saturday afternoon. The crowd had us both thinking well, from the looks of things, this is going to be quite a treat! WRONG!!

When we checked in, we were told its a 45 minute wait, I spotted seats at the outdoor counter and the Receptionist said, give me 5 minutes...which was good because the thought of waiting 45 minutes wasn't appealing. Ok, so...we sit down and order the infamous wings! Honestly, there's more hype than flavor! They weren't anything special and definitely don't live up to the hype...heck, I've had better wings at Buffalo Wild Wings!

So, then my husband orders the boar collar and I get a noodle dish...can't remember the name of it but anyway, the food arrives on the cheapest looking plates I've ever seen with equally as cheap utensils...and oh what small portions we had for the price. While the food was hot it wasn't anything mind blowing. All I kept thinking was, man, I'm so glad I didn't wait 45 minutes for this!!!

Our waitress was super efficient and friendly so that was a plus and she served a great pot of spearmint tea which was the highlight of my meal because the water is infused with something to give it this odd nutty flavor as if regular h2o wasn't enough...not sure what that's all about but I sure wish I could've just had regular ole water. THANK GOD FOR THE TEA!!!

I just didn't get it?!? The building is a hodgepodge of plastic, wood and what not that just wasn't appealing, the menu is limited (at best) and the food was just OK! Honestly, not sure we'd visit again...let alone tell someone to eat here.

Don't believe the hype!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,310)

Reviewed April 19, 2013

If you're looking for an adventure that transports you out of the country and plops you into Thailand or Vietnam, you need to visit Pok Pok.

I was missing the wonderful street food from Vietnam and needed an Asian fix, so went to Pok Pok for a sampling of dishes.

You will not be disappointed. If you know what you want - Great. If you're having a hard time deciding, let the waitstaff help you choose. Go with a friend or two and share the dishes. The flavors and textures will delight you.

1  Thank PALTravel
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Fantastic food, spicy and tasty, great people and a tiny but very nice place in a cool Portland neighbourhood

Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

This is yet another Portland restaurant that receives a tremendous amount of hype. Food writers love to talk up the famous chicken wings,you've got to be kidding. yes,they're chicken wings with fish sauce. what a disappointment. I wish we had stayed across the street in their bar The Whiskey Soda Lounge and just ordered the wings there.it was MUCH MORE ROOMY than the teeny cramped restaurant. the bar makes excellent drinks by the way!

Reviewed April 12, 2013

It's busy... It's cramped... The menu is overwhelming...... BUT, it is plain and simply really freakin' good. If you are a fan of any Asian food, then I think you'll like this food experience.

Service was great and we let our server pick everything for us as we were not sure what to order and/or how much to order. The drinks are also really good. Unless you've been to Northern Thailand, I doubt you'll have this unique of an experience.