“Very Unique Thai”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Calgary
“Very Unique Thai”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Pok Pok has some very unique Thai food. Definitely different that the regular Thai food restaurant s. Try the signature chicken wings and the Slow grilled ribs.

Portland, Oregon
“Over-hyped”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Like a previous reviewer, I had ready many over-the-top reviews (not on Tripadvisor) and several people I mentioned it to were all complementary. It turned into a big disappointment right away.

I can't remember when I waited over an hour for a restaurant table (OK it was 6:30 on a Friday, but...) and then been so underwhelmed with the food, especially compared to the hype.

It wasn't that the food was bad, it was all satisfactory. We had the super-hyped wings (non-spicy version), pork belly, shrimp and ribs. The ribs were dry, the shrimp was in the shell, the wings were not so much different from an off the shelf BBQ sauce and the pork belly sauce was probably the best of all four. The noodles with the shrimp were good.

Service was adequate but just. Noise level was high. There are many Portland restaurants I'll go back to before this one.

• Visited March 2013
“Ok. Probably won't go back.”
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Met friends who live in Portland and they hadn't been to pok pok for some time. Been two years since our last visit and it has changed. Portions much smaller, drinks meager, and inconsistent food. Lived in New Orleans for years and love spicy food, but the papaya salad was riduculously hot. First bite had me coughing/choking for 5 minutes. The special deep fried whole tilapia was great, as was the noodle pork belly/prawn dish; killer good. The boar was again way too spicy. Who ever heard of paying extra for a small portion of rice? I guess rents in ny must be very high as we're paying for it in portland! Probably won't go back.

Silverton, Oregon
“Over-hyped”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have always wanted to try Pok Pok after hearing so many great reviews. I was dissappointed. The seating was not very comfortable (we were on a enclosed patio). There are few vegetarian dishes and there were many ingredients that we did not like. It is good to try it once, but I don't plan to return.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. It was the food and the seating that were not up to expectations.

Vancouver, Washington
“Left Disappointed...”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

It just wasn't the experience or taste that I was expecting. Very few vegan options, which is unusual for a Thai restaurant. I got the Khao Soi, a rice noodle and mushroom soup with curry/chili paste and coconut milk...it arrived cool/coldish and not hot like a bowl of soup should be. Others in my party tried the wings and lamb and graded their dishes as just "so so". I was so excited to dine here because I'd heard good things about Pok Pok but we all left disappointed.