“Amazing food makes up for any shortcomings”
Review of Le Pigeon

Le Pigeon
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Pigeon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 4,420 Restaurants in Portland
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 8th Avenue
Transit: #12 and #20 buses.
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Let me start by saying the food was amazing. Do you like foie gras? Good. There's a lot of it.

My husband and I went there for our wedding anniversary. We started with the seared foie gras, I had the pork chop, my husband had the rabbit, and we finished off with foie gras profiteroles and peach ice cream. The food was inventive and delicious. I really can't say anything bad about it. It was one of the most delicious meals I've ever had.

I had alerted the staff that it was my anniversay when I made the reservation and they treated us well and gave us some sparkling wine with dessert.

The only complaint I would have is the 'family style' seating. There were only 3 or 4 big tables in the restaurant and everyone was seated there or at the bar. So my romantic anniversayr dinner was also attended by 5 older (very nice) women enjoying a girls night out. Normally I wouldn't mind that, but I didn't know in advance and was a bit put off.

Just be aware that you will be sitting VERY close to strangers and enjoy the delicious food.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

We planned ahead and made a reservation for a week night, a must for a small group. We recommend Le Pigeon if you are looking for interesting dishes. We had albacore, cuttlefish, salmon plank cooked, rabbit and a foie gras profiterole with some extras. The portions were the right size for a tasting menu and prices are typical for a upscale bistro but a good value.The wine selection covers a range with a fair pricing. Our wait staff was knowledgeable and attentive.
As visitors to Portland we learned about this restaurant on line and appreciate those taking time to review it. Therefore we were prepared for the close quarters and sharing a table with another party, which was congenial. If you are able to get an individual table you would be less cramped. We would certainly return if we lived nearby. Our only disappointment was that we were promised a copy of our tasting menu that we didn't get in this bustling place, and we forgot to ask for before leaving.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

My daughter tried to book a table before our trip to Portland but the earliest date she could find was 2 weeks after our trip. Finally we ended up waiting for over an hour to get 3 seats at the chef table without a reservation. I must admit I am not a big French cuisine fan but Le Pigeon is one of the few casual French dining without the need to dress up or half a dozen of wine glasses on the table. Both me and my daughter ordered the Foie Gras Chorizo Stuffed Quail while my wife ordered Beef Cheek Bourguignon, Both the quail and the foie gras was dry, not tasty at all. For the Beef Cheek Bourguignon tho my wife said she loved it. I also ordered a dessert which was a daily special, basically a fruit tart with ice cream but that was really good. Overall impression the service was ok, the price is on the high end but not extremely expensive. But whether it's worth the wait for over an hour for a mediocre French cuisine will be a personal choice.

1  Thank Canucks301
Reviewed August 1, 2014

We had a great celebration for two at Le Pigeon. We had the cuttlefish and peach starter, to share and then enjoyed quail and foie gras and a pork chop in apricots and a vinaigrette. We finished with a dessert to share of Creme Brûlée. Excellent food, service. Make reservations well in advance if you want to enjoy their offerings.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

I travel to Portland for business and always try to stop in to Le Pigeon every time I'm in town. The food is wonderful and since I usually sit at the bar I can watch them cook it right in front of me.

Some may like the way that the staff explain the dishes or give you the background on the wine as you are served, but I actually find this annoying. Call me a philistine but I just want to eat. The food is so darn good please don't make me wait any longer than I have to!!

The place is small so be sure to make reservations if you want a table. I always sit at the bar and since I'm alone I rarely have to wait for a seat even without a rez.

1  Thank John a