“If money is no object, this is the place for you.”
Review of Le Pigeon

Le Pigeon
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Pigeon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 4,385 Restaurants in Portland
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 8th Avenue
Transit: #12 and #20 buses.
Reviewed June 4, 2014

My Brother, his Wife, my Girlfriend, and Brother-In-Law were treated to this restaurant on a trip, and we were fortunate enough to try the Chef's Tasting Menu with reserve wine pairings. Seven complete dishes later, we left completely stuffed. The menu changes nightly, and the kitchen is very accommodating of dietary considerations. Our dinner started with Foie Gras with Prosciutto and a melon, while my brother (who could not eat pork) was served Kobe Beef. The meal proceeded with a delicious pasta course, followed by Squab (Pigeon), and culminated with a Duck Confit. For dessert, we were served a cheese course of Blue Cheese over a Marscarpone pudding with candied blackberries, followed by a Foie Gras cream puff. Everything we ate was killer, but be aware: It does not come cheap, nor should it. A truly exceptional experience.

1  Thank Scott N

Reviewed May 25, 2014

I should preface this by saying that I am by no means a qualified restaurant reviewer and this is just my opinion, but I have tried a new restaurant in Portland every Friday for the past 2 years and I think this one is over rated.
We had a reservation and ended up showing up really early and were sat promptly, which was a bonus. However it did take a while to get some water and our drink order in.
For the appetizer we had the Spring Chinook Salmon. The salmon had a nice texture and flavor and was complimented well by the almonds and radishes.
I had the special fish dish which was supposed to have chorizo and crab meat although I couldn't find either one anywhere on my plate. I wondered if the ingredients ran out or were forgotten? The fish was good, but I was really looking forward to the spicy, smoky flavor that the chorizo would bring to the dish.
Husband had the Beef Cheek Bourguignon which was tender and perfectly cooked. However the sauce was overpowering and tangy towards the end.
For dessert, we had the Crème Brûlée with the Vietnamese coffee pot de crème,whipped cream with amaretti crumbs. This was my favorite part of the whole experience, the caramelization of the Crème Brûlée plus the contrast of the slightly bitterness of the coffee pot was tasty.
Well, I didn't have the well known forbidden dish for multiple reasons and I wasn't super impressed with the food altogether. In my experience there are many other places in this city that I would recommend. I did enjoy the strange choice in music playing in the kitchen though. There is nothing like dining in a "fancy" restaurant while listening to Axl Rose welcoming you to the jungle with fun an games.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Sat at bar....did tasting menu paired with reserve wines. Pretty amazing stuff

Will post pics...best restaurant so far in Portland.

1  Thank Richard N
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Wow, this was one of the best meals I have ever had. Sat at the tiny counter, watching the chef show. Had a "forbidden" food that shall remain un-named. Best I have ever had, and I said to my hubby I could have another of those. The chef heard me and made me a 2nd serving. How cool is that! Tiny space,loud, fun, great eats. Can't go wrong, so don't go wrong, just go here.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

Having been to more than 50 good restaurants in Portland, I need to write a review as the experience at Le Pigeon lived up to its reputation. As expected, it has the usual casual Portland vibe with communal table - good ambiance and setting. What stood out for us was amazing food. We ordered a la Carte and had Pigeon and Pork Belly with Hamachi to start. Pigeon was out of this world - perfectly cooked and complemented by the vegetables and puree. Pork Belly melted in my mouth, but I have to say Hamachi was a little overpowered by the Pork Belly and the strong sauces. Entrees were Duck Confit and the Halibut special. Once again, Duck Confit was cooked to perfection - great flavour and combination of ingredients on the dish. The Halibut special was to die for. Burgundy poached in a lobster reduction and a Dungeness crab salad on top. The look was stunning with the red colour on the outside of the Halibut with stark contrast of the white flesh inside. The taste comes altogether very well. Foie Gras profiteroles are good too. Wine selection was not extensive, yet good, thoughtful and well-priced. Overall, we were impressed that the chef clearly understands flavour profile and combines many amazing ingredients and flavours to create tasty outcome. Highly recommend to any foodie and it is not even expensive!