A Painted Lady Inn
  • Pool
$204
$198
Travelocity
All reviewsvictorian stylelocation is greatstreet parkingwithin walking distancecottagejodydowntown
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We found and stayed at this B&B with a Groupon. Breakfast was an additional $15 so we opted to eat out. We had the Cottage (renovated garage) so we never went into the house and only saw the owner when we picked up the key. If you stay at a B&B because of the personal interaction with the owner and other guests, this is probably not for you.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ltcgumby
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I enjoy staying in B&B's having stayed in them all over USA. I do my homework before hand and before making a reservation. They all come in different flavors. Admittingly, some folks just aren't cut out for trying and staying in B&B's and should stick to usual routines.

A nice experience.. in NE Portland( minutes to downtown Portland by car or rail , bus) within walking distance to great food, nice neighborhoods with older homes and shopping (on Broadway Ave ) in this particular area.

This is an Old Victorian home lovingly re-done over the last 12 years. And as all homeowners agree ,always a work in progress. I enjoyed her antiques, you can tell she knows her stuff. There are several bedroom types, some with a shared bath... one with a half bath but need to use the shower down the hall. A cottage out back with full bathroom, kitchen... nice if you stay for a few days., Check the website. You can see the options Pleasant owner. Would return.

Room Tip: The Master is nice and large.... and natural light makes it brighter than a couple of the other rooms -- the Guest room has a half bath but beware of the slanted wall over the bed..you could bump your head in the night getting up--might be a better room for a solo traveler. The suite looks charming as well and bright as well.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This inn is unsatisfactory in terms of cleanliness, hospitality, quality of rooms/bathrooms, and basic necessities. In one of the bedrooms we rented there was no inside door knob which meant if you closed the door, you could not open to get out. Fortunately, there was a rope ladder for window exit. Our upstairs "suite" had no heat nor extra blankets. Regarding basic expectations, towels were piled in the stairwell and appeared to not have been used for ages - stiff and dusty; no bath mat, dirt everywhere - shower, base boards, lace curtains, lamp shades, windows and likely mold in shower, etc. However, on the guest bath sink was a a dried out container of Lysol wipes that I suppose were meant to be used for us to clean the bathroom prior to bathing! The bathroom drawer contained all sorts of used toiletries from various hotels, including used soaps. There were 2 hair dryers, neither of which worked. Carpets were stained. No cups or glasses in the bathroom so had to use your hands to take medication or brush teeth. I was told I could make some coffee in the morning if I wanted since we were not paying extra for breakfast. Could she not have been up by 8 to make a pot of coffee? In the one bath the exhaust fan was so full of dirt and dust that it could in no way have been effective. Mirrors were smudged and dusty. There are 2 1/2 bathrooms in the guest part of the house with 5 rooms (this includes one bathroom with shower and downstairs bath with one claw foot tub with a nozzle the size of a penny and no shower option in the tub.) For the 4 rooms upstairs, there are 1.5 baths with a shared shower. If one selects the downstairs bedroom, you are stuck with only a claw foot tub with no shower option. The neighborhood around this place is full of dilapidated old Victorian homes. The website says the inn location is "minutes" from the Pearl District. In actuality it is a 10-15 minute drive across the bridge (and longer with traffic). To say this was a disappointment is a HUGE understatement. This place was totally AWFUL and UNACCEPTABLE.
Finally in order to confirm this reservation it took me several unreturned phone calls and several unanswered emails.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Rochelle N
apaintedladyinn, Owner at A Painted Lady Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

This review is rediculous! I bent over backwards to accomodate all of this women's special needs! First of all she purchased a Groupon which is a 75% discount on a two night stay, but instead of two consecutive nights she wanted two rooms on the same night which I graciously accommodated! Her reservation request was confirmed the same day she made it and although we did play phone tag about changing the reservation to two rooms on the same night, her accusations about customer service and the house being clean are rediculous! Breakfast was a$15 upgrade which she did not want to pay , but I agreed and set the table for them to have coffee in the morning for no charge and yet she complains I didnt serve it for them! She called to say they would arrive 5hrs late for her checkin time so we aggreed I would leave a key since I had dinner plans that evening and I checked in with them when I returned home to ask if they needed anything, they thanked me and said they were fine and then write this review. By the way there is a heater, extra blankets and a doornob on the inside of the room so you dont have to go out the window on the emergency ladder! They were the only guests in the house and complain about sharing a bath. The tile in the shower was regrouted six months ago and the hairdryers work fine and by the way the house is located in Irvington historical neighborhood, one of the most beautiful areas of Portland and it takes 15min to walk to the Pearl just across the Broadway bridge, only 5-10 to drive. Note to self, no more Groupons....its not worth having to address this kind of review!

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Lovely and quaint. Offering several options from the cozy den to a separate guest house. Very convenient to transportation options to the city. We stayed in the den. It had a small gas fireplace, small sofa, and queen sized bed which was very comfortable. The bathroom, with a claw tub, was just down the hall. Jody, our hostess, prepared delicious egg hollandaise for breakfast served with basil and dried tomatoes.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs are larger, particularly the Master. Their bath does ave a shower, but if a soak in a tub is what you want, the downstairs bath is also available. The guest house is quite roomy with lovely views of the garden. The whole home has been lovingly restored with period furniture and decor.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angela and Ron G
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I visited this bed & breakfast in April for Admissions day with my daughter. Our stay was pleasantly welcoming, clean, private, & very comfortable! Myself & my 2 teenage daughters stood in the cottage. The breakfast was healthy & well portioned. My teenagers as well as I were elated to know we had free wifi as I needed to connect with my employer & they their social sites. I will definitely stay again but only in the cottage!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business