New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“moved out” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of A Painted Lady Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
A Painted Lady Inn
Ranked #20 of 38 Portland B&B and Inns
Hagerstown, md
“moved out”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

Prior to making my reservation with A Painted Lady Inn I did a fair amount of research looking at different B & Bs in the area. I chose the Painted Lady, because the price seemed fair, and it appeared from the ad and pictures to have the look, feel and location I was looking for. Upon my arrival for my 5 night stay, in the "Den" I discovered that when the ad said "full bath with tub" this meant it had NO shower. Upon commenting to the owner that this would not suit for 5 nights she offered to move my wife and I out to the cottage for an additional $40/night. We stayed for one night in "The Den", and although we loved the home, its antiques, the parlor and the charming dining room, the lack of a shower was not going to work for 5 days. Having felt as though the ad misled me I asked the owner if I could cancel my remaining nights and opt for a motel. At this point I let the owner talk me into staying in the "Cottage" for an extra $15 rent. The "Cottage" is what was once the detached garage now renovated into living quaters, with a shower. However, once you've been moved out to the garage you are no longer a guest in the house, no charming living room, no using the dining room, no conversation with other guests, no antique furniture, all the things one stays at a B & B for. I was "Moved Out" and banished to the cottage, an oversized motel room. Breakfast was delicious, and well prepared although four days of eggs was probably too many eggs for me.

Room Tip: when staying at a B&B do not assume you have a bath room, you may share a bathroom, and it may b...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Brian M
apaintedladyinn, Owner at A Painted Lady Inn, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
This guest arrived and was unhappy that their bath did not have a shower. I immediately told him I could move him to the cottage with a shower and he fumed off needing to speak to his wife about it who would arrive later in the day. That night I didn't hear anything from them and the next morning there fuming was so distasteful to the other guests at breakfast that it made them feel uncomfortable and the other guests hurriedly left the breakfast table. They then came to me to cancel their reservation and I again offered the cottage. They complained about being deceived and I told them I wanted them to be happy and that I would be happy to move them to the cottage for the same price and that's what I did. There was no up charge! The received a room that normally rents for $179 for $119/night for five nights and then have the nerve to continue to fume here on their review. The cottage is a beautiful space with wonderful light, if they had wanted to have access to the main house as well, all they needed to do was ask, but there was obviously no satisfying this guest.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

Have stayed at least 6 times here and this time stayed in the Den on main floor with private hallway bath and claw foot soaking tub. Room is Beautiful with Gas Fireplace, House is Elegant in Design especially since it was built in 1894. Great Location, close to places to eat, shopping and Bus's and Light Rail (Max) Milo's Cafe around corner on 14th and Broadway has Great Food and there Mushroom soup is Heavenly. Try Pix for Dessert, ask Jody and she will give you directions.
Breakfast was Great!!

Thanks Jody!! Your Fabulous -:)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank innharmony
Beaverton, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2011

I look forward to going to bed and breakfasts for two reasons. The building is usually very nice and interesting looking, and the breakfasts are wonderful. Well, not at the Painted Lady.
She said we'd eat at 9:00. Nothing was happening in the kitchen until 9:05. By 9:15, breakfast was served. Not much effort there at all. It consisted of boring scrambled eggs with nothing in them, seven raspberriers, coffee, some cheap cider, and some round tasteless scones, very disappointing. We were never asked if we wanted more of anything, but coffee.
I would never go back.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TrevorAlaine
Wilmington, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

I travelled 8,500 miles this summer through national parks and stayed in a wide variety of places. This scores near the top!

The property is located in a historic neighborhood, a few blocks walk from great places to eat and visit. Jody's home is a two story charmer beautifully dressed in lovely antiques. I stayed in a downstairs bedroom down the hall from the bathroom that featured an authentic old porcelain tub with claw feet! Wonderful ambiance.

Breakfast was delicious and I enjoyed my fellow guests. I was treated like a good friend and I was sorry to leave. I had two superb meals at Milo's, one of the owner's favorite hangouts.

I was en route from Crater Lake to Mt. Rainier so I did not visit Portland itself.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank SandraWilmington_NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

Lovely house and a very friendly innkeeper who makes your stay as wonderful and relaxing as it gets.

• Stayed July 2011
north carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

We stayed at here in August 2010 and rented the whole inn with our family. The owner was very helpful in making arrangements before we arrived and gave good information so we knew what to bring and how to select rooms for our group. The rooms were carefully decorated in the Victorian style.

The location is great, it's on a nice residential street and close to several restaurants. Parking was easy too.

We had several young children in our party and that was fine, but I think this B&B is better suited for adults and older children. We had to be vigilant to keep them from breaking things, for example.

I'm not a B&B fan in general, but we enjoyed the Painted lady as a place we could all stay with a common living and dining area.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank fsquaash
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2011

We like to stay here with Miss Jodi. She makes the best breakfast and there is always astounding fruit served as part of it. The house is really lovely and super close to coffee and really good food. The Loyd center mall is a few blocks away if you like that kind of thing. Overall I would say go see Jodi and enjoy the super quiet neighborhood and the good food. If I had to find something I didn't like I would have to fabricate it, this place is about as comfy as it gets, and the beds are divine.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business