“Very Good for Drinks and Eats”

Lotus Cardroom & Cafe
Ranked #828 of 4,364 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed August 16, 2014

Went here about five years ago and the place was grungy and not so hot. But now, something around here has changed and it is very pleasant and upbeat, with a bar that is always loaded with friendly good-timers and a restaurant section that serves delicious fresh stuff. Excellent Ahi Tuna as an entrée. The entire Lotus now offers very yummy food and drinks mixed with finesse and mixology knowledge. Locals love it here now. The place still has an "under the radar" ambiance, sort of dark and minimalist in décor, feels sort of like being under the earth in an illuminated cavern and like the ghosts of 1918 just left, but it fills up with people and its definitely planet EARTH here, with convivial Portlanders unwinding. The Lotus is worldly and urban and still not one bit snooty or highbrow. You gonna dig it!

There are newer reviews for Lotus Cardroom & Cafe

Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately, our first choice restaurant was closed. We were hungry and a little bummed out. Than...we discovered this place. Great service, ambience, drink menu, and the food was fantastic! I had a bacon wrapped meatloaf sandwich (not a typo) which had me babbling with pleasure. We will definitely be keeping this spot on our Portland short list.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Really enjoyed this place. It's definitely different and don't be afraid of the dive bar exterior. The cocktail menu is robust and I really enjoyed "the deveraux" - Bulleit bourbon, elder flower liqueur, lime, and sparkling wine. But, any bar that serves a traditional Sazerac is pretty cool in my book. Thoroughly enjoyed my meal which was a bacon Bleu cheese burger. My friend had a BLTA and that was out of this world with a great panini exterior. Also saw the fish and chips and the calamari and they had an amazing presence. This was a stumble upon choice for my friend and I this evening and we couldn't have been more happy with our experience. Don't walk by. Stop in and enjoy this jewel!

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Wow! What an unexpected surprise! I found Lotus through Groupon and it was convenient to my AIrBnb. Everything the other reviews say is true - top notch food, comfortable surroundings and an attentive staff who know what they are doing. I had the shrimp linguine and the only thing I would have added was bread to sop up the amazingly tasty sauce.

The bartenders swore that the lunches were just as great so I may have to come back to Portland again soon. If I lived there, this would be my home base!

Reviewed June 16, 2014

The food was top notch and the portions were just right. The decor of the dining room was old style cafe with a lot of large booths, however, the food was top notch cuisine. We had the scallops and Ahi Tuna dishes which were better than some we've had in fancy restaurants. However, the menu included some regular food like good burgers and other favorites. The service was warm and friendly and the bartender/server we had was very knowledgeable about the food and made a great cocktail according to my tastes. Kids are allowed in the "bar" restaurant and the bar crowd was very well behaved so this is a place I wouldn't mind bringing kids to for dinner. My only disappointment was that they are closed on Sundays!