“Comfy, quiet room at PSU and close to Max light rail.”

University Place Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #80 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed November 6, 2010

The room was comfortable, quiet and convenient to PSU and the light rail brought me to and from the train station and the Pearl District for free. Unfortunately the continental breakfast was worse than no breakfast at all. The staff were young and very helpful - I'd stay again but just make sure to go out for breakfast!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank Rosa54

Reviewed October 2, 2010

I came to the University Place Hotel for a conference and as the host hotel, it served its purpose. Because of the size of the hotel, all of the workshops were held offsite. That's not a huge deal but I am used to the host hotel having meeting rooms that are used for the conference. Otherwise, why is it the host hotel?

The hotel is simply a hotel. There is no on site restaurant and I arrived around 10 pm, hungry and had to fill up on snacks from the local 7-11. There is no restaurant or bar at the hotel.
There is a pool, which has been closed down for the winter so I can't comment on that, but it looks like a nice area where people could have a nice relaxing time.

My major opinion of this hotel is it is more or less fine, but not worth $100 plus a night. The hotel needs some major work just to deal with wear and tear over the years. If left to run its own course, it will be a certified dump in about 5 years. The elevator doesn't inspire confidence, makes strange rattling sounds and is about 3' x 6'. Someone small could lay down inside it, but that's about it.
The carpet in the hallways is showing the years, and the years that have passed since those colours were considered an acceptable decor choice.

There is free internet in the rooms (yay!!) and they will print up your boarding pass for free at the front desk. Other print jobs can be done through the business centre in the lobby. Those services were fine and all the staff I encountered were polite and helpful.
They have a very big parking lot that is available for $12 per night.

There is nothing glaringly wrong with the hotel, but I think it should cost no more than $65-$80 per night in the off season, and I hope the owners dig deep and get some reno's done. Because it's a decent hotel, and the rooms are big and quiet. It's just not worth as much money as they as asking.

I'm clicking that I wouldn't recommend the hotel, just because I think it's overpriced and that it would be pretty easy to find something of comparable or better quality in the neighbourhood for cheaper. I use Hotwire myself but I know there are other services.
And I do think the staff were great, and I do hope the owners free up some money to get the hotel back on track, because it is at a bit of a crossroads right now.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank EastsideSpike
Reviewed July 16, 2010

This is really a sub-standard old hotel - however it is relatively inexpensive and close to PSU. We were on a tour/trip for college and it's okay for that. I'd be embarrased for PSU if they put up visiting professors etc. at this place. The free breakfast is poor.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank MisterB1234
Reviewed July 12, 2010

After reading some not-so-good reviews on University Place, I was worried we would regret our reservation. However, I am happy to report it was a great place to stay and I would definitely stay there again. Clean, comfortable, no-frills hotel with a nice pool, basic free breakfast, and super nice front desk staff. We got all the recommendations we needed and more from these folks. Close to PSU and free public transportation that gets you downtown in minutes. P.S. Don't miss the food carts located a couple of blocks away!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank minniemoo81
Reviewed June 21, 2010

This place is a great place to stay. I am very pleased with the front desk treatment, exremely courteous and helpful. Our room was spacious and very comfortable.
The continental breakfast was very good. The motels pool area is lush and tropical, very clean and inviting. During my extended trip I stayed in a variety of hotels ranging from the Hilton (which was more than this one) to Econolodge. This one is comparable to the Hilton.
the others were dirty and old. The best part of it was the price. I was able to book it at the last minute on Travelocity for a really low price, in fact the same as what I paid for the Econolodge in Bend OR. Location, right next to the walking trails of Portland.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Babyboomer5212
Reviewed June 7, 2010

My family was looking at colleges in Portland and when we were online looking for hotels to stay at, we found this one. It looked nice, it was very, very cheap. We all quickly agreed. I, personally, hated it. They have everything a normal hotel would have but its just........ cheap. I didn't sleep very well, the tv has hardly any channels, and they had pictures of fruit and berries on the wall (I have nothing against fruit and berries however). Their breakfast........ well what I should say is what breakfast? Hardly anything. If you just care about the money not the quality, stay here. Its right next to downtown, and we walked around and saw Portland. The best thing about it was that they gave us the best cookies I have ever eaten.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2010

Returning to Portland for yet another family event (20-something alumni kids of PSU who still live in Portland), I went online to book a room. I've stayed at University Place several times over the years. I was perplexed to see the negative comments about this hotel. It's always been ideal for my needs.

It's a nice place - nothing dumpy about it at all. Very, very nice atmosphere with clean, tastefully designed rooms. It feels more like a nice hotel than a Holiday Inn Express, let's say. The price for Portland cannot be beat. I've always found the service to be outstanding. I like the fact that it is walking distance to downtown but just enough on the outskirts to be quiet. It's perfect for me.

I have no reason to give this hotel a thumbs up or down - I just couldn't understand the poor reviews so felt I needed to add a good one here.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple