“Good Value and down town Portland”

University Place Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #78 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Eugene
“Good Value and down town Portland”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Easy to get to from I-5. Great price. A little difficult to get to the rooms because you have to go outside and around several corners. Has an outdoor pool so not useful in the winter. Good exercise room.

Room Tip: Ask for one close to the front desk.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank stronnes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Does not even rate a star. they charge me for room. Then charge me again for the room already pay for. Then I check on the date that I paid up to and they charge me again! the rooms had no wireless internet. The floor were dirty and room was not clean when I check in. I posting photo of the room on my faceBook. It was the worst hotel i have ever stay in. This place stay away unless you like a nightmare like i had. I told them and all they say was sorry we will fix might take week on money.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank David D

Travelers are raving about these Portland hotels

Annandale, Virginia
Reviewed December 21, 2013

On a recent train excursion to the Pacific Northwest, I was able to set aside a couple of nights for a visit to Portland, OR. When looking for hotels through most of the online booking services, I came across The University Place Hotel And Conference Center near the campus of Portland State University. It was comparatively cheaper than many of the other accommodation options, and since I was only staying two nights, I went ahead and booked a room there.

One is almost immediately struck by the dated architecture and furnishings in the common areas, most of which look like they have been in place since the late 70's/early 80's. The property's restaurant, The Lincoln Grill, features overstuffed, half-moon shaped chairs on casters instead of barstools, adding to the dated feel. Carpeting in the hallways has also seen better days - in many places, the carpeting is badly stained and worn almost threadbare. Upon checking in, I received the standard "non-smoking property" disclaimer, which I duly initialed and signed, acknowledging that I understood the woe that would befall me should I decide to smoke on the premises. But the odor inside the elevator would suggest that someone (or many people) had decided to take their smoke breaks by hold the elevator car between floors. As I had been on the road for ten days by the time of my arrival, I decided to make use of the hotel's coin-op laundry facility. The detergent vending machine was in a state of disrepair, and a small sign guided me back to the front desk to ask about the availability of detergent. I waited for ten minutes while two members of the staff searched frantically, ultimately telling me that they had no idea where any detergent was located. A quick trip to a convenience store across the street solved that problem.

Those are the drawbacks. The room was tidy and well kept, with a Keurig coffeemaker in place. The bathroom and shower area were very roomy and clean, with plenty of towels available. I ordered food from The Lincoln Grill during one night of my stay; the menu primarily consists of simple American "bar food" that was more than adequately prepared and presented, and reasonably priced to boot. The hotel is located on a major bus line for the city's mass transit system, and only a little more than a block away from the streetcar line that leads into the heart of Portland itself. Additionally, construction is underway on a light rail station that is literally at the hotel's doorstep - accessibility to Portland is no problem at all. Numerous conferences seemed to be scheduled for the hotel, any commotion that they may have caused to the other guests at the property was minimalized by the very attentive - and eager to please - staff.

One other thing struck me during my stay - the age of the staff. Almost all appeared to be in their late teens and twenties, with a smattering of older supervisors with them as well. All of the staff did their utmost to make me feel right at home, and treated other guests with deference as well. Service in the restaurant was flawless; after my order was taken by a young man from the kitchen, a middle aged gentleman came out and asked if the young man had been courteous and polite. Every person there seemed to be putting forth their best effort. It was at this point that I came to the conclusion - without any confirmation - that the University Place Hotel And Conference Center may well be a school owned property staffed by students studying in the hospitality field, perhaps hotel or restaurant management. If so, this seems like a good beginning for the young people whom I met during my stay; if not, it is a testimony of a staff rising above the hotel's dated and worn appearance to provide the most seamless service that they possibly could.

If I were to visit Portland again in the near future, I most likely would stay closer to the downtown area just for its walking convenience. But with a few more refurbishments, this property could be a winner and really worthy of your travel considerations.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank denverc30
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

We read the reviews but were on a strict budget so we stayed here anyway. The good news is that they seemed to have fixed the wifi problem (at least if you spend the extra ~$10 for a deluxe room) and it is really close to the Max light rail station.
Unfortunately a deluxe room is far from deluxe. We were there in November and the window did not seem to close properly but the heat only understood HOT so temperature was a constant problem. The room was very outdated and the lighting fluorescent. Lets just say I wasn't wanting to stay longer than necessary in the room.
The breakfast was fine, nothing special but edible, ends at 930am.
The staff was helpful though and there is coin laundry which I desperately needed and was appreciative of.
If you're pinching pennies this is an option but you could probably find much better.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hannahebryant
Richland, Washington
Reviewed November 7, 2013

The good news items are price and location.

The bad news—aside from the fact that parking went up $3 since last year, with no such notice at the time of booking— is that when you book a deluxe room, you don't necessarily get one.

When I asked about this at the front desk, they told me that I was in an even-numbered room, and that the deluxe rooms were all odd-numbered. Huh? I said "I booked a room with fridge, microwave, larger TV, 'updated' furnishings ... and I got the same dated-but-clean non-deluxe room I had the year before, and the year before that" (I did mention it's conveniently located, right?).

"Oh," said the front desk staff. "If you want those things you have to ask at check-in."
"Really?" sez I. "I thought I 'asked' when I booked a deluxe room—on your website, no less."
"No, we have to wheel those items into the rooms upon request."

No "Sorry, our bad," or "Sorry for the confusion." Just an dull attitude. I did not know what to say.

If you're a TV junkie, the reception will drive you mad. Want 'free' wi-fi? Prepare to 'activate' the service daily. This activation link expires 10 minutes after access is requested. If the link has expired, you will need to request access again. Seriously?

As for the free breakfast, it's pretty much low-grade. I recommend you walk a block to the food trucks and get a breakfast burrito. Yum!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank SDH_2_8
Blacksburg, Virginia
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Free wifi, free breakfast. Location is good, easy to go to find food. There is no business center but staff can print document to you. Breakfast is fine, small selection but at least it is all you can eat.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington, USA
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We decided to stay here because of the reasonable price and location. This hotel is not too far from some local breweries so it worked out great for us. I didn't mind paying the parking fee, in October it was $15/day, I just rolled it in to the hotel cost. The complimentary breakfast was great, there was scrambled eggs, oatmeal, sausage, bacon, yogurt, etc. and all foods were kept stocked until the very end of serving time. Staff was friendly and polite. We stayed in a Deluxe King room which on the website said had a fridge and microwave in the room, unfortunately there was not, but we had not brought food with us so I did not raise a stink about it. Overall, I would recommend this place if you are looking to stay in South Portland on a budget.

Room Tip: If you would like access to the WiFi stay in the B or C wing. Deluxe King rooms have recently been...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple