New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Bar at hotel is best part of hotel stay” 1 of 5 stars
Review of University Place Hotel and Conference Center

University Place Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #93 of 137 Hotels in Portland
“Bar at hotel is best part of hotel stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

The bar "Lincoln station grill" is the best part of the stay at the hotel. The bartenders Megan and Stacy were great fun and made us feel at home. We will be back to see them. The food was great as well.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Lincolngrillguest

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Everything was clean and what you would expect, Not spectacular but solid all around. A reasonable walk from downtown or short cab ride.

• Stayed July 2012
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Dreary - that's the word for this place. From the lackluster lobby (no couches, just table with chairs) to the tiny pool to the worn rooms to the cave-like breakfast area. They charge you $12 for parking a night (which I assumed was a garage but it's just their parking lot so there's no safety benefit).

Our room was clean but, in the morning, we discovered stains on the blanket on our bed (not the comforter). The breakfast was adequate (with some odd, thin bacon).

What was the worse was that the maid, on a Sunday morning, knocked at 7:15 am and 8:00 am. Not good. When I told the front desk as we were checking out, the young woman there just looked at me slack-jawed. When I gently suggested to her that the right thing to say was "sorry for your inconvenience", she just continued to stare.

I would never stay here again. Worn, tired and they just don't care.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Nice location with easy access to the center of Portland and not far by car to the Rose Garden and other sights. Staff were friendly and helpful. It's an older property that's showing its age. Rooms were clean but a bit dark and dank. Breakfast offered a solid if simple range of selections that were ample in volume. The swimming pool was open when we arrived but closed for two remaining days of our stay ostensibly due to "a chemical imbalance," meaning the ph is out of balance -- easily adjustable. Some problem between the hotel and the city led to a ticket on my car between check in and when I could get back out to the car to put the parking permit inside. Hotel said they'd take care of it. We'll see. And parking was $12/night. Noisy AC. If you open the small screened window (sufficient for a cool Portland evening), then you get the odors from the smokers outside.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The first time we stayed was in June of this year. Due to our son's eye condition, we traveled almost four hours from where we live to see an eye specialist at Oregon Health & Science Univ (OHSU) in Portland. I found the hotel through an internet search. When I called and got the rates, I booked a room, as it was the lowest cost of any I had found thus far ($75.per night) for our needs (rate due to the OHSU discount U.P. offers).
Also, University Place was very convenient for us. It was so nice to leave our car parked and not have to worry about traffic and parking, as we can walk about a block from their front door and catch the trolley to the eye doctor's office AT OHSU. Also, the $12 for parking (which was the cheapest I found in the Portland area) drew me in.
The room was very clean. It could use some updating, but it appears to me that they maintain the property very well. We both found the beds to be a bit too firm for us, though.
My son and I enjoyed their complimentary breakfast, too. My only wish for University Place was for a small frig and microwave in the room. Oh, and I believe that the rooms only have two double beds (no double queens) but not sure. If you sleep together, then you can get a king. Be sure to ask. But no double queen bed rooms for those who don't want to bunk down together.
We're going back this week and, I'm sad to say, I've learned that they raised their rates from $75 to $89 a night. Parking is still $12 though, I believe. Guess I'd better check! Hey, maybe with this raise in price they can fix up things more and get those appliances I want! ha! ha!
All in all, nice place, nice people at desk.
Oh, and there was construction to the street going on in front of the hotel when we were there, so be sure to ask if you need to take alternate way in.

Room Tip: A/C / Heater may be a bit loud for some, but I used it for my 'white noise' to get to sleep.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank mzV030
Queens Village, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for four nights, attending a recent convention in Portland. On the positive side: the rooms were clean and the service was good. On the negative side: I was told of a $12 parking fee at check-in, which was not mentioned at the time of booking. There was no wi-fi in my room in C wing, only ethernet (which does me no good with an iPad) and no amenities like a 'fridge or microwave that one might expect at this price point. The breakfast offered looked nice but appearances were deceiving. The toaster took forever and the eggs were over-salted to the point of being inedible. Even the potatoes had a funny taste. I would never recommend this hotel to a friend and will not return on future trips to Portland.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Portland hotels

North Kingstown, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I have stayed at University Place at least 6 times in the last 2 years (I recently stayed here for an entire week), and I was only disappointed once in those 6 stays (and only slightly disappointed, because of some odd smell in the room and in the hallway). The rooms that I have stayed in have always been clean and comfortable. The hot breakfast items are nothing special (eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes), but at least they offer cereal, yogurt, breads, and fruit, along with juice and coffee. One "complaint" that I have is that the hotel layout is very confusing. There are so many hallways and stairways in the strange layout that you can easily get lost if you aren't careful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces toward the courtyard. A couple of the wings of the hotel face a freeway ex...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business