“A quaint alternative to a traditional hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Bluebird Guesthouse
Ranked #13 of 38 Portland B&B and Inns
Hollywood, CA
“A quaint alternative to a traditional hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

My girlfriend and I visited my sister in Portland for a week, so my folks treated us to the "best room in the house" -- the Beverly Cleary room -- at the Bluebird Guesthouse in Portland's Hawthorne district. Our room was upstairs, directly above the house's front entrance, and it had its own bathroom (which is a MUST, in my opinion!). The staff was very friendly, and kept the house spotless and in good working order. The house has an upstairs and a basement, both with several bedrooms and bathrooms. They have a shared/common area kitchen, fully equipped with all the appliances, pots, pans, silverware, dishes, etc. that you'd need to cook your own food. (You're responsible for washing your own dishes, though.) They also offer complimentary fruit, muffins and bagels (bought fresh daily!). You can store your own groceries in their fridge and shelves, and eat/cook it as needed during your stay. They also have several chairs/couches/tables/lamps throughout the house, if you want to just sit and relax/read/play cards/chit-chat for a bit.

PROS:
Old architecture, friendly staff, peaceful "homey" environment, lots of comfortable furniture, free street parking, free snacks, free WiFi, lots of plants/flowers/trees, and walkable to anywhere in the Hawthorne district. If you get the Beverly Cleary room upstairs, you can open/close your windows and adjust your room's temperature as needed.

CONS:
Because it's an old house, there's a chance you'll hear EVERY squeaky floorboard / door hinge / stair step. If someone decides to roll in at 3:00 AM, you'll likely hear the front door open and close, and you'll hear that person's footsteps across the floors and up/down the stairs. (I visited in the dead of winter, so thankfully there weren't many people coming and going.) Some fool tugged on the dumbwaiter-style pocket door rope near the stairwell in the middle of the night and woke me up out of a dead sleep. If you don't have a room with your own bathroom, then you might be competing with other guests for one. Maybe it's available, maybe it's not -- roll the dice! You can always go upstairs or downstairs to another bathroom, though. Although we had our own bathroom with a pedestal sink and toilet, our shower was SMALL.

Room Tip: Get the Beverly Cleary room upstairs -- it has its own bathroom!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank freebiegrabber

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

We enjoyed our six-night stay and the charming location. Very comfy linens, mattress, pillows, blankets and bath robes! Enjoyed the make-your-own-breakfast and make-your-own-conversation feature, as I usually loathe the breakfast chat at most b&b's! One tip to the owners would be to include some more info for guests on your website about how to get around the neighborhood on foot/by bus and where to shop locally for groceries, since the breakfast selection is somewhat limited to Carbs - delicious carbs, but still.......... we grabbed protein (second) breakfasts at the nearby Hazel Room on Hawthorne.

Our basement room was adjacent to the laundry room and the beep beep beeping of the machines was not always welcome. The Inn was almost fully occupied during our stay and sometimes there was a wait for a bathroom - but nothing too too terrible. I would have sprung for the pricier room with bath included, but none were available.

Room Tip: Might want to avoid the basement rooms unless you are on a super tight budget and/or no other rooms...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Salinas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Me and my best friend just got off a 21 hour Amtrak trip from Salinas to Portland, neither of us had much sleep. Got a cab ride to the house. Beautiful old 1900's home that has the charm and warmth you will not find in any newer home. we rented two separate bedrooms. There were a couple of guys sitting at the dining table on their computers, very friendly people! We walked to a great brewpub down the street and had dinner. We got back in our rooms and now it's 8:30pm and I was just ready to collapse! At 9:00, a bunch of 20 somethings (they sounded really young!) came in to the sitting area and they were LOUD! Laughing, speaking loudly running up the staircase to the other adjacent rooms and back down again. I just thought OMG!! This is gonna suck! I waited in hopes they would quiet down before 9 but nope. Called the owner and he said "It's barely 9pm!" But he said he would come by and talk to them. Finally they left around 10 and I slept really well. But this is a GUESTHOUSE where one expects a bit of peace and quiet! It's not a party house, come on! Will stay there again, loved having access to a real kitchen! But will let them know that hey, after 9pm, people should try and keep the voices and noise down.

Room Tip: Just about any room is great! If you are really sensitive to street noise, stay in one of the rooms...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Merc56
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

Although I am a local, at times I want to stay in a neighborhood where I'm attending a dining event. Bluebird Guesthouse is only a block from the top-rated Ava Gene's, and close-by to Block+Tackle/Roe, Pok Pok and more. I made a same-day reservation when it looked like we were in for a rare snowstorm and I wanted to make my Chef's Week PDX dinner at Ava Gene's. I got a call-back on my early morning email and was very pleased to get the door code so I could come at any time and hang out in the common area until my room was ready.

It is a classic Northwest Craftsman style house, with appropriately retro furnishings. I felt right at home, like I was at my grandparent's house in St. Johns.

I got one of the two basement rooms, the Elliott Smith. The queen-size bed was very comfortable, with four excellent pillows. The room was plenty spacious, with an open closet, towels, and even a robe provided. But this was a cheaper option because there is no attached toilet or bath, and the nearest is upstairs off the kitchen. On the top floor there is a toilet, bathtub, and separate shower. The common areas include a living room, dining room, kitchen, and internet nook. I availed myself of the internet computer as I had stupidly left my iPad charging cable at home and I didn't know how long the storm would last.

The kitchen was super. I guess if you want a social B&B experience of shared meals, the self-serve nature might not be ideal. But for me, it was great to graze on the muffins, bagels, fruit, coffee and juice that were available 24/7. You can store your food and drink in the refrigerator (great for leftovers from the local restaurants). There is a microwave, dishes, glasses, etc. I loved the convenience of being able to get coffee and a mini-muffin whenever I needed it.

I've read other reviews that didn't like the creak of the stairs and road noise. I couldn't hear any road noise from the basement room, although I did hear the footsteps of everyone coming in through the common room. I was tired enough that it wasn't a problem. I was very pleased that there was no "air freshener" smell, potpourri, or mildew/musty odor in the basement rooms. I'm sensitive to all of that. The basement rooms have individually controlled electric baseboard heating, which worked well even though we were in a deep cold spell. The window is tiny, but could be opened if you wanted some fresh air.

I will definitely keep the Bluebird on my list of options for places to stay for my Portlandia excursions. Division Street has many fantastic "destination" dining options. I also discovered that it is served by the #4 bus with frequent service, making it a good place to stay to then explore downtown Portland and anywhere MAX reaches.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Now here is a place. Amid all the identikit hotel rooms the world over, this conversion of a charming house is beautifully done and oozes character while it is located on trendy Division Street in Portland so is very handily placed.

The breakfast is a help yourself job with strong coffee (Starbucks and company take note), the shower is located in a great old china bathtub and the bedding was heaven to a weary traveller. Wifi is free and the welcome amiable.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Charleston,Sc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I have traveled all over the United States. And I have found the Blue Bird Guest House the best secret in Portland. The house is Very homey and clean and quiet. If I had my choose to stay in a five star hotel or the Blue Bird, I would choose the Blue Bird. I visited from Charleston and stayed for four days. Public transportation is just out the front door. You don't need a rental car. Portland transit is amazing and you can get around ever were. Thank You Blue Bird for the nice experience and keep up the charm.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank haunted29401
Walnut Creek, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

The Bluebird is an older house located in a busy Portland neighborhood. The house is in good condition but is pretty basic -- nothing luxurious. The same can be said for the rooms.

I stayed in the Beverley Cleary room upstairs and facing the street. The room was reasonably clean and everything was in working order. The bathroom was small and simple but in good condition. The older sink had separate hot and cold taps. The shower was fine. There was a lot of noise from the busy street, so one should be a sound sleeper to stay in this room.

Breakfast was a simple continental one -- orange juice, coffee, teas, bagels, muffins, bread to toast. Eggs and pancake mix were available if you wanted to cook. Wash your own dishes.

I can recommend the Bluebird if you are looking for a clean, basic room in an older home with street noise but at a relatively good price. It is not, however, an upscale B & B.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple