“Enjoyed Stay”

Ranked #73 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Roy
“Enjoyed Stay”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The room was quiet and comfortable. The bed was amazing, couldn't beleive how comfortable it was. The A/C worked nice. Breakfast was atually better than other Residence Inns I've stayed at but still a hotel breakfast. The parking seemed limmited but I never had an issue finding a spot to park although the stalls are kinda small. I liked that it was within walking distance to the MAX when going on the brewery tours. The staff was the best part, very helpful on choosing restaurants even offering to book our brewery tour for us. Giving ideas on things to do and see. Even when we got home and noticed a mistake on our bill a quick phone call cleared it right up and the credit was there the next day. I would stay here again if given the opportunity.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HillbillyDlux

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed here for a class I was attending. Due to many classes being held, I found it somewhat difficult to park. The room was clean and nice - and a little less expensive than the courtyard by Marriot right across the street. The funny thing was that I was a couple days and this hotel did not have diet soda! They didn't have it thru banquet services (responsible for serving the class) so I went out to the lobby to purchase a diet soda -None to be found! You would think they could negotiate with the sister Marriott across the street when they run out of things.

• Stayed June 2012
Michigan
Reviewed June 17, 2012

one of the elevators was out of service for half of our stay, which made the fourth floor seem very far up. Breakfast was OK. Good value on a room

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank SummerBreakisGreat
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I will never stay here again, and I will advise anyone in my agency to not stay here. Moreover, we are calling FedRooms when we get home to get this hotel off the approved list.

Had a business trip with 3 Department of Veterans Affairs colleagues. Normally, we stay at the Residence Inn - Riverplace and take the trolley uphill to the VAMC (which we are always satisfied with the service). Due to the awesome Rose Festival in town, all rooms downtown were booked. Riverplace suggested this hotel, which was in FedRooms.

Sleep
I was surrounded by some boisterous Germans on a nature trip, but didn't know until breakfast as the walls are especially solid. Room is comfortable, with a nice kitchenette. Cleaning service is efficient and thorough (even with dishes).

The ladies handling breakfast and the manager's reception are very kind. The food is prepared well and agreeable to even have the reception as dinner.

I agree with the other reviewers that the customer service staff (not the cleaning or the cooking staff) seemed uneven. Please read the other reviewers, and I concur

Wifi (Reason for horrible review)

The hotel network and wifi are beyond awful here. None of my colleagues work or personal laptops would work. Being that one of the members is a CCIE, we were trying to assess why, because the front desk guy sure wasn't helpful about the issue. We think that either someone has the networking switch badly configured (and I mean incompetently done) or someone is running a massive data service on the sly with the network. Please don't consider the network functional here. Because of the work disruption, all 4 of us are calling Duluth Travel when we get home to strike this hotel from the FedRoom list as this is a very annoying disruption. We have made repeated complaints about this.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Richard P
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed June 2, 2012

When you get to stay at any Marriott on a comp basis it is hard to be critical but this spot's in-difference and apparent lack of staff training allowed me to transcend that inhibition and tell it like it was. Wife and I stayed on a free night promotion that we accrued two nights on from last summer's travels. These nights were due to expire 06/01 so we just got in under the wire by a couple of days. We were especially happy to be able to get in over the Memorial Day weekend.
We actually did not get in until after midnight and were met by what we learned later was acually one of the front desk people that TRAINS new people. Well, Tyler had no clue as to how to check us in under the "free nights promotion" rather than using Marriott Rewards points.
He also referred to an apparent urgent note he held at the desk from another rep about the fact we had insufficient Rewards Points for a two night stay and just wanted to advise us of that fact. All this brouhaha while checking in dog-tired after midnight and knowing we were not there on something other than Rewards points to begin with. He finally did something on the computer that got us a room key but the very next morning we are awakened by another frantic rep informing us we had no basis for staying another night. This obvious LACK OF TRAINING resulted in unnecessarily stressing us and negatively affecting what should have been a nice perk stay in a fabulous city. While moving in to our room we found a former occupant's dirty sock on the bedroom floor. After all the previous hassle and as tired as we were we just let it go until reporting on this forum. Sadly, this is a nice spot, but this particular franchisee is falling obviously short of Marriott standards. We both say this as former Marriott Platinum members now working our way back somewhat hesitatingly to that same status again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steven S
SeaTac, Washington
Reviewed March 19, 2012

this is our third trip to this residence inn. we stay because our condo association has its annual meetings here. We have always had the two bedroom handicapped room, 107.

The inn common areas and rooms are attractive and very very clean. Some kitchen items were missing from our unit on this occasion--so there must not be an inventory each turn. Also two doors within the unit will not stay open and have been that way for three years now--the bathroom door in the small bedroom and the bedroom door from the dining area into the handicapped bedroom are not hung properly and swing partially shut. The latter is problematic if using a walker or wheelchair.

The breakfast is the usual fare--hot eggs and a protein, waffles, oatmeal, an assortment of cold cereals and sweets, toast and bagels, fresh fruit, lots of yogurts, milk for kids, juices, etc. If the inn is crowded there are not enough tables for everyone.

The desk person did not seem to have her priorities straight. She was distracted by staff when customers were waiting, she never noted the empty coffee pot, and she delighted in remembering and shouting our last name across the lobby area for every person nearby to hear. Frankly, I want my privacy when traveling out of state not an announcement. When you walk up to the desk a quiet greeting would be preferable.

There is one computer in the library area for quickly checking email.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Issaquah, Washington
Reviewed February 19, 2012

I stay here for business very frequently. Its either here or across the parking lot at the Fairfield inn. both properties are new. I like the residence inn very much because of the following.

1) the rooms are quite large.
2) every room has a kitchenette.
3) free breakfast. Eggs, sausage, toast, waffles. (but it can get busy so take it back to your room)
4) they have evening social M-Th. Free food and drinks. I often use this as my dinner.

But......

The wifi here is simply the worst I have ever had at a hotel. It's a must have for me as I run an online business. I can never get a good signal, regardless of what room I am in. So I am forced to use their wired connection, but even this is terribly slow. So much so that I walk over to Fairfield and use the net in their lobby.

Sadly, I can't stay here anymore because of this issue. So now I stay at the Fairfield.

Also, this hotel complex is located next to the interstate. Impossible to go anywhere during rush hour. Nothing is nearby except pizza and subway sandwiches and a gas station.

Room Tip: Don't come here if you need wifi. Better have a mobile hotspot if you need access to the web.