“Updagted Deluxe”
Review of Sentinel

Sentinel
Ranked #5 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed June 17, 2014

My honey stayed here a few years ago when it was still called the Governor Hotel, and although we were tempted to stay at Riverplace owing to the glowing reviews on Tripadvisor, we ultimately chose to stay here for two good reasons, 1. The Sentinel is a recent remodel, which always presents a hotel at its freshest, and 2. The location is smack dab in the middle of town so that you can get in from the airport without a car for $2.50 each each way and get dropped within a block of the hotel front desk, and once you're checked in, walk pretty much everywhere you'd want to—to the Pearl District, Powell's bookstore, river, Public Library, new Apple stores, Portland Museum of Art, Voodoo Donuts, and dozens of great restaurants. As to the hotel itself, it was obviously redone with much care, however, it had a strange orientation that took some getting used to, resulting, I suppose, from having combined two older properties—the Governor Hotel and the Elks Club—into one. This resulted in some strange half level corridor between them as well as the loss of some of the beauty and coziness of the original entrance. The style too, had me confused at first. I was expecting a grand old hotel with authentic and old proportions, finishes, and flow. Having been a set decorator in film for awhile, I had the impression that they traded the authenticity for hipness in the redo with giant photographs of celebrities in the the halls, overscale furnishings, cabinet of curiosities style nic-nacs sourced from Restoration Hardware instead of from a thrift store throughout, etc. But the bones of the original grand old buildings were still present and lovely. Jake's Grill was mostly original and pretty cool (the booths at the window each had curtain partitions that I think might had inspired Kate Mantalini in L.A. at one time). Now to the good, the redo insured me a nice firm bed with beautiful quality sheets, a pristine bathroom, and some cooler than expected room art (our room had a pop art inspired lithograph of Coco Chanel). There were touches of plaid throughout the grey toned rooms, Pendelton plaid blankets, partially plaid upholstered wing back chairs, and an honest to goodness plaid lunchbox from the seventies. One of my favorite public touches was the real vintage typewriter off the lobby that had a stack of paper ready for typing letters, and the freshly typed prompt "write your story". The in room tea was fantastic (Smith's, a Portland local), as was the coffee. The toiletries were Tosca, a fine quality, but they didn't seem like they were curated for the same property. We were lucky enough to get a room with a terrace (sweet!), unlucky enough to get a skylight (seemed like a good idea in the day, but at night, the light pours into your bed from above, we had to have them cover it the second night). All in all, we loved our stay, particularly being in the middle of it all and getting to do everything on foot.

Room Tip: Get a room with a terrace if you can.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank leslieness
HotelGM529, General Manager at Sentinel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such a thoughtful review. I am pleased that you were happy with your choice and look forward to having you with us again. Rest assured, we tried very hard to maintain and enhance the historical and aesthetic touches that made the former hotel so unique. Everything was locally sourced and curated with an eye toward using repurposed materials whenever possible.

Happy to know that you enjoyed your Terrace Suite. There simply isn't another room like it in Portland. With the summer quickly upon us these rooms are even more appealing. Glad that you could enjoy them.

Again, thank you for your business and for taking the time to provide us with such a positive review.

Chris Bebo

Write a ReviewReviews (1,424)

Reviewed June 15, 2014

Just had a truly memorable graduation weekend in Portland; greatly due to the Sentinel hotel! The hotel itself is really well done, complete with a very comfortable bed, great view and Starbucks on the 1st floor...perfect because my husband needed a coffee before I was ready both mornings! The hotel bar, Jackknife made for a fun pre-dinner drink and apps location and also a great after party location when the graduation party was over - photobooth in the back! Had wonderful dinners at Tasty and Alder and Gruner which are both only a block away and spent the end of an evening at the Multnomah Whiskey Library which we stumbled upon only a block away from the hotel. The hotel was fantastic, the location made for a memorable, easy and really fun trip!

Room Tip: We were on the top floor and had a skylight - you may want to bring an eye mask if you're not a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Swillest

Thank you for sharing your special weekend with us. We truly appreciate you being our guests and are grateful for the feedback. It really sounds like you hit a lot of the best places to see and visit on your trip. Our location makes getting around town pretty easy.

Again, thanks for taking the time to comment on your stay. We look forward to having you with us again.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

My two children and I made a last minute trip to Portland, and I made a quick reservation online at the Sentinel. We found a gem! The room was roomy and comfortable, the bed was devine - such a great night sleep. The amenities were terrific - from the spacious table for writing and playing our travel game, the spacious bath, snacks in the room cash bar/snack tray. We loved the spa toiletries, but most of all - the hotel staff and location. Having not traveled to downtown Portland in well over ten years, every hotel staff host we talked with was so friendly and helpful to offer quick recommendations and directions. They were welcoming and patient with my children, including them in the check-in process and planning our excursions. We loved the central location downtown; many places were within easy walking distance of the Sentinel. My children and I walked a short three blocks up to Powell's City of Books, the shops in the Pearl District, and treated ourselves to a culinary odyssey across from the hotel at the food truck street. The children and I loved, loved breakfast at Jake's Grill - attentive service, delicious children's menu, and we enjoyed looking at all the Lewis & Clark inspired decor! The Blue Max Line a block away took us for a fun, short ride thru town and up to the zoo, children's museum at Washington Park. The welcoming, ever efficient valet hosts and easy overnight valet parking, made alternating between driving and alternative transport seamless. We can't wait to visit the Sentinel again & have readily recommended the hotel to other Seattle family friends. I would recommend that the Sentinel look at ways they can further welcome families to the hotel, in small ways as well as marketing themselves - the location and such is perfect. Thank you for such a wonderful, comfortable visit to Portland!

Room Tip: Deluxe King was comfortable for myself with two very young children (4 yrs, 8yrs). Next time with my...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank ElizabethBW

The feeling is mutual. We can't wait to have you with us again as well. We will certainly share your nice comments about our professional staff with the entire team. Thank you for chosing Sentinel as your home base while visiting Portland. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

I had the great pleasure of staying at The Sentinel in Portland while on a business trip. Manager, Dave and his incredible team made my stay flawless. You would pay a fortune for this personal service and deluxe room in NYC. On site, their Jacknife Bar and Jake's Restaurant had that Portland chic artsy vibe, while the rooms were four star quality Great location also. Any time I'm back in Portland, I'll be at The Sentinel!

Room Tip: Book a room on the 6th floor facing the skyline
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank 007ScottyUSA
HotelGM529, General Manager at Sentinel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Great endorsement and great review. We appreciate you taking the time to recognize our team and we are happy to know that you took advantage of our restaurants and bars. Sentinel is a well curated, 4-Star hotel and we appreciate you noticing and providing us with your feedback.

Please consider staying with us again the next time you are in Portland. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

My parents and I just came back from a weekend in Portland. As I paid for the hotel I picked the Sentinel for it's location. I loved it, however am registering the few, minuscule, complaints from my parents (an age difference perspective e perhaps).

Location: neither myself nor my parents had issues with the location. Convenient to public transportation (and the public transportation in Portland is SO EASY to use). Location is great! But I would recommend this more for younger people than for my parent's. My father is a light sleeper in his 60's and would wake up to the street cars at 6:30. BUT the hotel does provide ear plugs to combat this).

Rooms: fantastic. The beds were SUPER comfy. If you have a preference with pillows let the hotel know. I didn't realize my dad likes thin pillows, so he was not the happiest with the fluffy, cloud like pillows they provided us with. (Dear hotel manager if you read this: where do you buy your pillows? I want some!) the bathrooms ARE basic however, but I wasn't there for a fancy bath (but did take a soak after a day of activists. I am 5'10 and was able to stretch my legs out straight in the tub. So that was awesome).

Food: the Starbucks attached is a Starbucks. Jack's Grill was busy every night, so the night life is very close by (after visiting the Japanese Gardens, Rose Garden, walking around town I just wanted to sleep though. Otherwise I would have been drinking the night away). There's a restaurant attached. We only had breakfast there, and I did have room service. Read the menu attached carefully. You ARE charged 20% for room service. But give the delivery guy a couple of bucks for bringing it up).

Overall I loved this hotel. It's charm, it's age, it's location! They can't be beat. And the cherry on top? Their staff are perfect! I've worked in the hotel business before and know how exhausting the job can be but the employees and even room service attendants I ran into in the hallway were pleasant and helpful!

I give it 10 out of 10. My dad would go 8/10 only because of his age (some water spots on the ceiling in the bathroom, pillows not to his liking and his being a light sleeper being woken by the tellies. But as I said: these are either addressed DURING the stay or before).

Had a great stay at the Sentinel and this is the only time I've been tempted to make a review!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Jessica K

What a priveledge to recieve you review and thanks for chosing Sentinel for your first on -line review. A true honor. We work hard to provide our guests with a superior experience so your commentary about our "perfect staff" is very meaningful.

Consider visiting the Sentinel Hotel website in order to purchase our pillows. Under the "Explore" tab you will see a link to "Shop at Home" where many of our signature items can be found.

Again, thank you. We appreciate both your business as well as your review. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

We stayed in the Sentinel during Memorial Day weekend. We had an interior room on the 4th floor. The interior rooms face a courtyard (small, not much to see), but are shielded from most city noise.

The room (King Deluxe) was spacious and very clean. The bed was quite comfortable and we found the room to very quiet at night.

We opted for the Staycation package which included a $20 credit for the restaurant and valet parking (you'll probably want this, the valet service is excellent). We used the credit for breakfast (nothing special, but good enough).

Note that the hotel is right next the famous food trucks in Portland. There's a great deal of moderately priced food available and some are open for breakfast.

I've only stayed at one similar hotel which was the Hotel Monaco in Chicago. The Sentinel was as good.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, request an interior room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard W
chris b, General Manager at Sentinel, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Both it and your business are truly appreciated. Happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Yes, our Staycation Package is one of our more popular package options.

Please consider Sentinel again the next time you are traveling to Portland.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Stayed at the Sentinel last week on a business trip and absolutely loved it. The experience was entirely positive from the minute I walked in. The staff was warm, friendly and helpful. It struck me that they seemed to genuinely enjoy what they do.

Also loved the decor. It was upscale, but with a lot of character and personality. The location was also great, there's a lot to see and do the minute you walk out the door.

It was my first trip to Portland and the Sentinel went above and beyond. I will be back!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for the great review. I will make sure to share your kind words with the rest of our team. I know they will appreciate hearing about your stay as much as I did. Please consider us again the next time you are traveling to Portland.