“A good, but not great system”

Metropolitan Area Express (MAX)
Ranked #9 of 452 things to do in Portland
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were staying out at Jantzen Beach, so it was easy for us to jump in the car and go to the Delta Park Station and ride into downtown. A cheap $5 pass for the whole day at the easy-to-use ticket kiosk, and we were off. The trains are quick, especially out in the suburbs. Downtown, they slow down quite a bit. The frequency was not as good as you would expect, and we found ourselves waiting for quite a while, even during rush hour, when you'd think that the trains would be coming very frequently.

It's also nice that the same day pass ticket also gets you on the streetcar, which recently expanded to a new line on the east side of the river. This gives you good access to OMSI. However, the street car is even slower and less frequent than the MAX trains, so don't expect to get anywhere in a big hurry.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Max makes getting downtown a breeze. I'm from a small town and so driving downtown for me is a nightmare. We have been to Portland the last two summers. To get downtown we park at the Gateway station for free, purchase tickets ($5 for a 24 hour pass) at the vending machine near the tracks, and hop on the red line heading for downtown. On our ride this past month, there were a few interesting characters aboard. Great for people watching. We had one panhandler hop on, ask everyone for money, then hop off at the next stop. That was a little uncomfortable. Other than that... this is the way to go!

1  Thank Krys C
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We have a great transportation system that will get you anywhere. I take it to school daily. What a way to stay out of rush hour traffic.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Not only is it unkept and most non rush hour passengers rude, but because they never installed turnstiles, one can get on board without paying, then they set up sting operations for large events like Blazers and Timbers. My last trip I got on at Union Station where the ticket machines were not working and got off at Jeld Wen Field. For not paying the $2.50 ticket at a machine that didnt work I was charged a $175 fine. I plead no contest and judicial system still enforced the fine. Max officer was rude and condescending as if I tried to screw Portland our of $2.50 (my income is 50,000 times that amount)

1  Thank Brian K
Reviewed June 22, 2013

With the frequency of stops, this is a wonderful way to get around town. I also used this to get back to PDX for the flight home. Cheap prices, also.