“Unique "One-Stop-Shop" Experience!”

37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Unique "One-Stop-Shop" Experience!”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

One of the coolest hotel concepts around, located 15 min from PDX airport. Anyone can visit so you don't have to be a hotel guest to share in the experience. However, a hotel stay would include sleeping in a classroom converted into a hotel room with chalkboards & coatracks intact while each room is individually different. The Kennedy school has all the typical makings of an elementary school (gym, auditorium, janitor's closet) except that they have been turned into options for entertainment including a stage for live music, a movie theatre, and multiple bars serving the McMenamins brew. There is even a swimming pool added to the grounds. Finally, the cafeteria is the restaurant which all in all makes a stay at the Kennedy School a one-stop-shop for a vacation!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank QUYNH73

• Hebrew first
Halifax, Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Creative Use of a Beautiful School”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My family and I recently visited the Kennedy School with the intention of watching a movie on the cheap. Unfortunately, we found out once we got there that evening movies were 21 and over (our youngest sister has a few years to go), so we spent some time exploring the school instead.
In itself, the building is beautiful. I'm a huge fan of antiquated buildings and enjoyed weaving through the hallways of this gem. Old wooden hallways and full of that musty library smell. It was lovely. The little bars within the building (especially the Detention Room) offered a little irony to the formal feeling of being in a school. Had the youngest been of age, I would love to have spent a night drinking up in one of the bars.
I will definitely return on my next trip to catch a movie or grab a pint

Visited August 2012
Portland, Oregon
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“like a vacation in the city”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

just went for dinner, not overnight, but sitting in the large garden in back and eating a leisurely dinner made me feel like i had gone away for the weekend. food is good, not great, but a good beer and a nice meal in a gorgeous setting makes it worth it.

Visited August 2012
Portland, Oregon
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“tried several locations”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

rumour has it that mc menamins is only a front for an actual real estate venture !! ha ha it certainly isnt about the food. small portions, over priced and have only had good service one time at one location. the menus are all different in each location which i find odd.

2 Thank cecil b
Baytown, Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great, but....”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I was really prepared to fall in love with the Kennedy School. Because my travel plans were not set in stone I'd called earlier in the month to ask how difficult it would be to get a room or if I should try to book something immediately. The girl on the phone implied it wouldn't be a problem to just call when I get in town. When I did finally call, I was told they were booked solid until the end of August. I booked elsewhere. While in town, I had dinner with a friend who now lives in Portland. She was not surprised to hear what had happened and said that the place is great, but suffers from people with poor attitudes who work there - a sort of Portland state of mind. When we went to visit the bars and a trivia night at Kennedy School the next night, The Portland State of mind played out in many of the places we visited. Bartenders seemed annoyed at having to describe the beers they offered. Service was slow. The building itself was awesome, and I'd still recommend anyone a visit, but the service and downtrodden attitudes took this place down a notch for me.

Visited July 2012