“like a vacation in the city”

McMenamins Kennedy School
Ranked #1 of 215 Nightlife in Portland
Reviewed August 13, 2012

just went for dinner, not overnight, but sitting in the large garden in back and eating a leisurely dinner made me feel like i had gone away for the weekend. food is good, not great, but a good beer and a nice meal in a gorgeous setting makes it worth it.

There are newer reviews for McMenamins Kennedy School

Reviewed August 11, 2012

rumour has it that mc menamins is only a front for an actual real estate venture !! ha ha it certainly isnt about the food. small portions, over priced and have only had good service one time at one location. the menus are all different in each location which i find odd.

2  Thank cecil b
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I was really prepared to fall in love with the Kennedy School. Because my travel plans were not set in stone I'd called earlier in the month to ask how difficult it would be to get a room or if I should try to book something immediately. The girl on the phone implied it wouldn't be a problem to just call when I get in town. When I did finally call, I was told they were booked solid until the end of August. I booked elsewhere. While in town, I had dinner with a friend who now lives in Portland. She was not surprised to hear what had happened and said that the place is great, but suffers from people with poor attitudes who work there - a sort of Portland state of mind. When we went to visit the bars and a trivia night at Kennedy School the next night, The Portland State of mind played out in many of the places we visited. Bartenders seemed annoyed at having to describe the beers they offered. Service was slow. The building itself was awesome, and I'd still recommend anyone a visit, but the service and downtrodden attitudes took this place down a notch for me.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Went here for St. Patricks day with 2 teenagers. There was music and I had hoped more to see and do as at Edgefield there are usually several entertainers wandering around, especially on holidays. There was only 1 band in the gym, no place to seat, packed crowded and nothing else for the kids to really do. The movie was an animated cartoon. Did not stay long. Would probably return to Edgefield over Kennedy School next time.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Our daughter took us to McMenamins Kennedy School during one of the evenings of our trip to Portland over the fourth of July. She said that the quirkiness of the Kennedy School was one of the things that influenced her to move to Portland. The school has been renovated into a holel with restaurant, bars, a cigar room and a theater. The walls are lined with old photos from the school and the neighborhood. There are also a bunch of funky pieces of art intermingled with the photos. There is a soaking pool in the courtyard. They also have a garden behind the parking lot. It is a neat place to visit, but I decided not to stay there because I was afraid that it would be too noisy to rest comfortably. There were a large number of people roaming the halls and they were a little noisy during our visit.