“Don't be put off by the line”
Review of Salt & Straw

Salt & Straw
Ranked #2 of 129 Dessert in Portland
Neighborhood: Northwest District
Description: Small-batch, chef-driven ice cream made by hand with local ingredients since 2011. We hope you love it!
Reviewed August 14, 2014

The line was really long, think we waited upwards of 30 minutes, but it was slowly moving along. By far the wait was worth it! The icecream was amazing and flavor combos that you think would never work in a million years were surprisingly delicious (bone marrow and burbon and pork belly and pineapple). This will be my first stop when I return to Portland!

Reviewed August 13, 2014

Sure, we waited an hour in line for ice cream (and that's not something I would normally do in my hometown of Chicago). But it was worth it. The service inside was fantastic, especially you are greeted by a scooper while still in line (once you get inside) who will allow you to try a bunch of different flavors before even getting to the counter for your final decision. Get out of your comfort zone and try some of their unique flavors like pineapple coconut with salted pork belly, or olive oil, which happens to be Oprah's favorite!

Reviewed August 11, 2014

I showed up at about 10:30 on a Friday night. At about 11:20 I got to order my ice cream. The staff was really friendly and helpful which was great. They let me try as many flavors as I wanted. I ended up with a split scoop of Sea Salt and Coffee/Bourbon. It was amazing. The ice cream was so creamy and delicious. At least taste the crazy flavors. Enjoy!

Reviewed August 11, 2014

If you come to Portland it would be a sin not to visit, don't be put off by the queue, it is ice cream worth waiting for. Seasonal flavors, local produce, tasters at the counter and believe me you will want to taste especially the more unique flavours, Pear and blue cheese, bone marrow and smoked cherries, fennel and maple, honey balsamic strawberry with black pepper, I've had them all and they are amazing, do not be put off by the unusual flavour combo's they all work exceptionally well. Cones are good too, waffle cones, not that dry old wafer light nonsense from yester-year. I can't wait to go back again and again...

Reviewed August 11, 2014

My husband can not have dairy and this ice cream shop offered 2 vegan choices which were like heaven to him! The combnations are unusal but don't be afraid to try one. I was very pleased with every bite. The hard part was trying figure out which one to get! The waffle cones were also wonderful! We got there at a perfect time but I understand there is usually a long line! and yes its that good!