“Garlic/Lime chicken is good!!!!”
Review of Horn of Africa

Horn of Africa
Ranked #946 of 4,479 Restaurants in Portland
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

I forgot what the correct name is of the garlic&lime chicken but this place has some great food. We found this place at hempfest in Seattle and try to go everytime when we're in Portland. I wish they were open allday, they're only open for lunch and shutdown til dinner at 5.

1  Thank 206jb

Reviewed November 11, 2012

During the summer, my friend and I had the opportunity to eat this restaurant's food at various festivals in Portland and thoroughly enjoyed their food. So when given the opportunity to eat at the restaurant itself, we jumped at the chance.
We ordered two entrees - a lamb and a chicken. After what I would consider a long wait (with only two other groups in the restaurant), the waitress brought out a basket of rolled Ethiopian bread and a small oval dish with chicken, and another oval dish of lamb. She returned with two empty dinner plates. I reminded her that our child had ordered an appetizer and I still needed my rice. Another lady appeared with a plate with the samboza with my bowl of rice on that plate and placed them in front of me. She seemed quite confused. And that was our meal.
I had saffron rice in a bowl, lamb in a bowl, and an empty plate. This seemed quite sparse for an entree order of $12.95 - there was no vegetable, no sauce, nothing at all like the photos on the menu!
Granted, we were given complimentary doughnut holes (that's how we described it to our child).
But we had to search out our own napkins and all this in an essentially empty restaurant.
The meat dish was tasty and I wish that I could say I would be back, but it would take a lot of encouragement.

1  Thank Papuacragrat
Reviewed October 25, 2012

large portion, variety of veggies, highly seasoned but not too spicy, warm friendly service. Enjoyed using African bread as a "spoon" to sop up the veggies and lamb.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is the best Ethiopian food in Portland. I have been eating here for years and have eaten in almost all of the other Ethiopian restaurants when friends had a preference for another one. The owners are very sweet and put together some amazing dishes. We take everyone who visits us in Portland to eat here at least once, they often want to return. Our favorite dishes are foul which is fava beans pureed, the red lentils and the cabbage dish. All of which come on the vegetarian platter. The non-veg items are also good but the vegetarian is so lovely that we usually stick to that. We usually get the appetizers too, as the dinner takes some time since it is usually being prepared from scratch with whole ingredients.

Reviewed May 8, 2012

First off, the restaurant is now located at 5237 NE Martin Luther King Blvd and the zip is 97211. We went there on a Thursday early evening and, at first, were the only ones there. The food was delicious. Portions were not overly large. We got very personalized service. Don't know about when it is crowded.