“Totally unexpected”

Cuisines: American
Vancouver, Washington
“Totally unexpected”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I was happliy surprised at the wonderful food I was served at this little restaurant on Stark. The menu was varied and the prices reasonable. I had the trout hash with all items cooked to perfection and beautifully plated. I liked the small size of the restaurant and the uncrowded feeling, despite the small space. Love the wood decor and the staff were very friendly and courteous.

• Visited January 2014

Vancouver
“A Gem in a Developing Trendy Area”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

It was girls' night out with 2 local girlfriends. They picked this restaurant because it was reasonably close to my hotel at Cascade Station and because of the good reviews. We were a little skeptical when we walked in and found the restaurant empty. We really liked the interior - all done in dark wood with about 11 tables and a nice big bar with high back chairs. It was casual and cozy. The menu looked really, really good and we couldn't decide what to have so we got our server (who was very personable) to tell us about the various, interesting dishes. The menu is small but has good variety and unusual items. They had a few drinks on special so I ordered a special hot drink because it sounded so good and I thought I was coming down with a cold. It was so good I could have drunk a gallon of it and I must say I never did develop a cold. I think that drink did it! My friends had martinis which they really enjoyed. The food was absolutely amazing! Susie in the kitchen can really cook. We started with chicken wings and they were huge. With them we had cheddar and corn fritters. All 3 of us had the Chilaquiles for our main course. We could not resist after hearing our server's description of what was in them - crispy tortilla strips, roast chicken, green sauce, sour cream, etc. and on top of it all was a fried egg. It was the best Mexican dish I have ever tasted and I love Mexican food.
The area is a bit sketchy. I didn't feel comfortable walking around there alone in the dark and had to park a couple of blocks away. But you can tell that it is developing and there are some nice trendy stores and restaurants for several blocks. It won't be long until this is a very thriving district. We think the restaurant was empty because the excellent reviews pertain more to brunch BUT what is good for brunch is often good for dinner too. This is a great little restaurant and we will definitely go back and would recommend it to anyone. The food is creative and delicious!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank h0lym0ly
Portland, Oregon
“New Neighborhood Restaurant”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Walked by this place a couple times before I actually went in. It used to be Bangkok Bites which was a Thai joint and I never went in there at all. Living in Montavilla I was a little skeptical considering Roscoes and a few other places around there are really good like The Observatory and The Country Cat but this place surprised us pleasantly. Great happy hour menu, awesome atmosphere and cool staff! Welcome to the neighborhood Redwood!

• Visited August 2013
Oregon
“A wonderful surprsing restaurant”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We ended at the Redwood for breakfast because we couldn't get into Country Cat. They are within a few doors of each other. We are so delighted to have found this darling restaurant. It is not a big restaurant, but, cozy and intimate. Kim (our server) was top notch! Very friendly, knowledgeable and provided great information. We shared the chiliquiles and hashbrowns. SO delicious. EVERYTHING was made fresh and from scratch. Both were very flavorful and filling. The hashbrowns were crispy and flat-ish, not bulky and floating in butter. So good! We definitely will be returning again for breakfast and dinner. Do yourself a favor and give this darling restaurant a try. You will be happy!

• Visited October 2013
Inuvik, Canada
“Yummy!”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

A homemade veggie burger made with yams! Yummy! My friend and I both had the butternut squash soup to start with. Certainly warmed us up on such a miserable day. We shared the salad that had the apples and blue cheese. I should have ordered a whole one to myself but then I wouldn't have had room for the veggie burger.

• Visited September 2013