“Creative menu- very Portland”
Review of clarklewis

clarklewis
Reserve with OpenTable
clarklewis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #224 of 4,385 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Taylor
Description: Clarklewis creates delicious, hand-crafted Northwest cuisine with Italian and French influences, and proudly support local, organic farms. With exquisite farm-to-table ingredients, Clarklewis is a sophisticated gem on the creative frontier of Portland's unpolished Inner Eastside in the industrial district. The chefs offer an ever changing seasonal menu that features fresh from the market produce. Chef Alex Diestra's hearty dishes from the wood-fired rotisserie find their perfect complement in the fresh, unmanipulated flavors of the best in local produce.
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I went with a friend while attending a conference. She had a car, which was good, because the walk from the Trolley line is about 6 blocks and would probably have felt unsafe on the return after dark- it is an industrial area. The wood smoke is the first impression when you walk through the door. Traveling on a business budget I couldn't afford any of the meat items on the menu so didn't experience the wood smoke in action. Food selection was really interesting. I opted for 2 starters: a cheese platter with apples and the turnip soup- perfect flavors. The cheeses were extraordinary. My friend when straight for dessert and order their tiramisu- She said it was the best she'd ever had. No Lady Fingers in that creation!

BluehourPortland, Owner at clarklewis, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

We know how hectic and busy conferences can be, so we really appreciate you taking time out of your schedule to dine with us. Thank you for your kind words on our dishes — they're not your average meals, so we're happy you noted and appreciated that. The next time you're in Portland, you'll have to come by and give the other menu items you were eyeing a try.

So glad to hear your experience with us was a wonderful one!

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Well prepared, creative dishes & drinks; service on the casual side; prices about right for the care in preparation; adequate portions; classy ambiance but not too formal; open kitchen.

Paid a visit on a Monday at 6:30. Only a few tables were occupied yet the atmosphere was still inviting and classy. Our server was personable, perfectly familiar with the menu and made great drink recommendations. All the dishes had a creative twist, were elegantly presented and were very satisfying.

I got the salmon. It came on a bed of farro. It caught my attention how they managed to sear it to the point of crispy on the outside, yet it was perfectly moist and medium/medium-rare in the middle. I tried my partner's ravioli and found it perfectly al dente. The pork filling was well conceived and interesting. My other partner's pork loin was perfectly cooked, tender and came with an interesting sauce.

The glass of Falanghina our server recommended to go with my salmon had exactly the body and dryness I was hoping for. My partner's house red was clean and respectable but lacked character.

BluehourPortland, Owner at clarklewis, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Thank you for the 5 stars and for taking the time to write this detailed review. We appreciate your kind words on our dishes. Many times guests comment solely on the taste, but we love that you mentioned our presentation. A lot of work goes into that as well. I'll be sure to share this review with our kitchen staff.

We hope to see both you and your partner again soon. It was a pleasure to serve the both of you.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Everything from the appetizers to desserts were awe inspiring. We kept saying "Can you believe how good this is!" We didn't recognize some of the ingredients but our waitress was very good at explaining what they were.
The produce is local, very fresh, seasonal and unsually mixed together to produce some of the best vegetable melages I've ever eaten.
This was a memorable meal.

BluehourPortland, Owner at clarklewis, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

We're so happy to have served you such a memorable meal. Thanks for taking the time to write this review, and I hope you know how wonderful it was to read it. I'll be sure to pass this along to the entire staff.

We're looking forward to serving you again. Think you'll be back soon? We hope so!

Cheers,

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Really good entrees and entrees served in a dynamic space. The tables and seating are a bit spartan. We experienced some gaps in service, with lengthy intervals between beverage refills and before our entrees arrived.

BluehourPortland, Owner at clarklewis, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Duomo3, glad you enjoyed your time with us. I appreciate you bringing to my attention the gaps in service. This is something we can work on as we continue to improve. Thanks for your kind words about both our food and space. We are in a dynamic space, and we love the mix of sophistication and simplicity in our decor.

We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I went to Clarklewis for the first time yesterday. We started out with their lovely happy hour and decided to stay for dinner. Everything was outstanding but the tagliatelle with braised lamb ragu was the best pasta dish I have ever had in a restaurant; this includes cities like New York, San Francisco and Chicago. Being of Italian descent, I often try pasta dishes to compare with my family's treasured recipe, and this one was outstanding! My husband had the oak fired rib eye and it was tender and perfectly done with an amazing sauce. We loved the contemporary feel of the restaurant, the wonderful smell of oak in their fire oven, the open kitchen, and the staff. We were excellently served by Karen, who was delightful and accommodating. Staff was very friendly and unpretentious. The restaurant is located in a refurbished warehouse and we did hear train whistles, but if you can handle that, the food here is an absolute treat. Loved this place and will take my cousin when she visits!!

BluehourPortland, Owner at clarklewis, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

We're honored our Tagliatelle is the best pasta dish you've ever had at a restaurant! It sounds like you know your pasta, and that's a big deal. Thanks for taking the time to write this review. I'm glad you and your husband enjoyed your experience with us, and I'll be sure to let Karen know you had great things to say about her.

We're excited for you to bring your cousin here, but hope you don't feel like you have to wait until then to come back. You're welcome here anytime!

See you soon,