“BBQ and a Cold Beer makes a hazy, hot day aw-right!”
Review of Tennessee Red's Restaurant - CLOSED

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Having never been to Portland, OR before, I discovered Tennessee Red's by chance being seated on the bus to Reed College from the airport. The ambiance made me think about those southern pit bbq joints in Louisiana, Texas or wherever else besides Portland. Tillatha, our server was effusive in describing a nice amber, that being a "Boont ale". She was right, too. This ale served cold was caramel colored and rich in its flavor. My daughter, Lily startled me with her order for a cheeseburger and a side of mac n cheese. She loved the accurately cooked burger but thoroughly enjoyed and inhaled the mac side. I whittled down my choice to a pulled pork sandwich that came with a awesome quantity of excellent french fries. Red's pulled pork was more in the style of North Carolina 'cue as it was not as saucy as my usual portion of pulled pork at Tennessee's BBQ pulled pork in Peabody, MA. Yet, the pulled pork portion, the fries, cold Boont beer along with Lily's delicious burger makes this a memorable spot to stop. Easily gotten to using the Trimet transportation maps is such an incredible feature to Portland's overall positive features, too.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This place is alright, I went for late night food and it hit the spot. This is not going to stand up to many other options around town, but if your in the area and what BBQ, it will do fine.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Excellent location and decent food. We had the pulled pork, fried catfish, sausage and ribs with several sides like coleslaw, mac-n-cheese, fries and cornbread. The food was good, but just not great. The mac was not baked, but did have a nice hint of garlic which was yummy, the coleslaw was runny...not my favorite, and the cornbread was sweet, which is definitely not the southern way. The meat was all very good, though the sausage was overcooked and there was no sauce offered for the catfish which really needs something since it's a basic cornmeal crust. The BBQ sauce is all pretty sweet and I prefer a vinegar based sauce. But, as I said it was still good and satisfying. I actually ordered the brisket, but for some reason they brought pulled pork instead and I was too hungry to send it back.

It's definitely a bar that was turned into a BBQ joint. So, go in knowing it's kind of grungy. The table and seats were a little sticky and my biggest issue was the ants crawling all over the floor and platform next the our table. I picked up my handbag and there were at least 20 little ants crawling on it. Easy enough to brush them off, but unless I'm on a picnic...I prefer to dine ant free.

Service was really fast and friendly. Good selection of beers on tap. Good music, though it was super loud and finally someone asked them to turn it down. We were literally yelling across the table and it was not at all busy, so kind of odd.

I'll go again, skip the catfish and coleslaw and probably sit outside. Worth a visit!

Reviewed July 22, 2011

Wonderful comfort food. Sticky tangy ribs, and chicken. Well made real mash potatoes, greasy cheesy macaroni, and much more. Out of the way location but worth finding. Looks like a hole in the wall, but the food is consistently good.

Reviewed May 30, 2009

Good drinks, good bbq but nothing like I had when I was down south.