“Home style Chinese food”

Golden Horse Seafood
Ranked #919 of 4,479 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch
Neighborhood: Old Town - Chinatown
Reviewed August 24, 2014

I was referred to the Golden Horse by an older Chinese lady who volunteers at the Lan Su Chinese Garden. I asked her where she liked to eat in Chinatown, and she didn't hesitate a bit. She "warned" me that this isn't a fancy restaurant, but that it serves the kind of food Chinese people would make in their homes. She also recommended some of the dishes. All I can say is that she was spot on in everything she said. Understand, you go to this restaurant for the food, and nothing else.

We didn't try a thing we didn't love. My guide had recommended the dry sauteed green beans. They were delicious. There was something I couldn't identify in them which our waiter said was pickled Chinese vegetables, and they packed quite a wallop of flavor. They weren't like the many Japanese pickled veggies I've had, but they were scrumptious. Our guide also recommended the salt and pepper squid. This is batter fried, but the lightest batter imaginable. Another hit. She liked all the hot pots, and we had one with salted fish and tofu - yum! I can't remember everything we ate, but I strongly recommend this restaurant, especially considering the prices.

The Golden Horse menu has what seems like hundreds of items, and many would not be chosen by average American diners, e.g. chicken feet with vinegar sauce, Zho Shan Jelly Fish, and Sea Cucumber with Brown Sauce. Other than the sea cucumber, I recommend being adventurous. I would certainly have returned if we'd had more than one day in Portland. (And I have to say that some of you might very well like sea cucumber; it's just my warning.)

Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

The decor is hideous and definitely dated. We were not impressed with our service on the first visit, but gave it another try since the food was so good. Now we are somewhat "regulars", going there twice a month (or more when anyone comes to visit). We LOVE the General Tsao, dry sauted green beans and the chicken chow mein with soft noodles.

1  Thank Geena W
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Do you ever walk past a city's Chinatown and get a hankering for some hot and sour soup? Well, that's what happened to us when we were in Portland on our walk back to our hotel in the Pearl District. We saw the lion gates to Chinatown and just got that craving. We found the Golden Horse by using out Trip Advisor app to look for the best Chinese food near us. If you are looking for a fancy setting or a romantic atmosphere or top notch service, then maybe this is not the place for you. If you are looking for delicious Chinese food without all of the frills then stop in at the Golden Horse. The food is great and very fresh. I had the Cashew Chicken and my husband had the General Tso's. We also had hot and sour soup (yum!) and gyozas. The portions are huge and we had most of it wrapped up to bring back to our hotel for late night snacking.

2  Thank sarah421
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Go here for a low budget, big appitite experience. The egg-drop soup is wonderful. The steamed rice - shrimp fried rice - noodle chow mein - etc. The place looks like its got stuck in the 80's, but eh... the food is great, and you'll end up scrapping the plate.

1  Thank Michaelbush6417
Reviewed April 18, 2014

After visiting the Lan Su Chinese Gardens we walked one block to the Golden Horse
Chinese Restaurant for an inexpensive lunch which was fabulous. Our $6.50 lunch special contained a cup of soup, spring roll, barbecue pork, rice and a main dish. (I ordered the cashew shrimp and my friend had the cashew chicken. We had at least twenty items to choose from). The main dish was loaded with tiger prawns (chicken), broccoli, carrots, snow peas and cashews. I will be back. The service was friendly and efficient. The atmosphere is one to ignore so that you can enjoy the great food.

3  Thank Peggy B