“Food's decent but the service is dreadful.”
Review of Goose Hollow Inn

Goose Hollow Inn
Ranked #416 of 4,385 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed October 9, 2008

Food's decent but the service is dreadful.

1  Thank DavidOPortland

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed June 17, 2008

Love the patio, great Ruben

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed March 31, 2008

When I first encountered the Goose, I liked the fact that the customer isn't always right. I tried to flip the waiter some smack and he let me know that "this ain't that kind of place." It was then that I knew this was my kind of place. From then on I treated the workers with respect, and they returned the favor. Since I started frequenting the Goose, two years ago, I have noticed the same workers, on the same night, week after week. This is always a good sign of a positive employee/owner relationship, and help make the atmosphere more inviting. The roast beef is by far my favorite sandwich on the menu. It's easy to see that the roast is cooked fresh on site, and the rolls are not out of a super market. I also like not leaving the place smelling of cigarette smoke and grease. Which by the way nothing is fried or grilled. And you still get the option of smoking on the deck if you please. I do enjoy my hard liquor, so after a few beers I have to go else wear, but the Goose defiantly serves its purpose as a place for me to meet with friends and get the night started. Even if that night is a weekday, which are usually the busiest nights. Get there as early after 5pm as possible, because after that you may be sitting in the back with the daily locals.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed November 28, 2007

Awesome beer, awesome food. Cool, down to earth people. Our favorite local hangout so far.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor Member
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed May 18, 2005

We stumbled across the Goose Hollow Inn one summer and it soon became our local .... there was much more stumbling from then on! The bar had a welcoming, relaxed attitude - you could wander in at any hour and find someone to chat to, have a beer/wine (they had a great selection of local beers and you can by wine by the caraffe, glass, bucket....) and wander out again at your leisure.

The staff were friendly, leisurely, interesting folk who made us feel entirely welcome and gave us advice (or even transport!) to the local attractions - the Rose Garden, etc. Although I'm from Ireland, contrary to common opinion, we don't really eat cornbeef and so I can't agree or disagree with the claim that the Goose has the best reuben sandwich in the world - but their pizza is freshly baked and good pub grub. The Goose is a great place to meet with locals and is not your typical tourist pub - if you want a feel for the real Portland, pay it a visit. Also note - don't show yourself up as a tourist by ordering the common or european beers, ask the barman to recommend a local beer - you might even like it!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member